Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Towing

Hi all,
MichBill here. I am still trying to decide on about a new, to us, toad. It has become a little more urgent since our 2001 Grand Cherokee blow an engine. We put in a rebuilt, but I don’t have any confidence in it.
I am still interested in a Grand Cherokee. However, trying to find a used one with the correct transfer case is a challenge. My wife has suggested a minivan, and you know what that means. I have looked in the towing guides and not been able to find any that are tow-able four wheels down. I talked to a camper at the campgrounds we are at, and he said he normally flat tows a 2008 Honda Odyssey. However, he was dollying another Odyssey.
My questions are: Does anyone know if there are minivan’s that are flat tow-able? Also can any of the folks that use a dolly provide some suggestions as to brand, ease, storage and ease of hook up?
Thank you all
Bill
Michbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 12:18 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just recently purchased a 2012 Jeep Liberty, specifically to use as a toad. It's great. Prior to that I used an Acme Tow Dolly, (for sale BTW), to tow a Toyota Prius.

Using the dolly worked really well, and with the built-in surge brakes and tail lights I never had to worry about those things. However, getting on my knees or even having to lay down in dirt and gravel to deal with the safety chains and making room for the dolly at tight-space RVParks got old really fast. That's why I now flat tow.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My sis tows either a previous year honda crv
or
a Honda Odyssey when many are getting together... she needs to install a cutoff switch to kill the navigation, etc... as it will run down the battery, but it can be towed 4 down otherwise...

last time she just left it idling since it was a short trip

We tow a jeep wrangler for the times we want to explore !
Old 04-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Easy answer is sorry Honey! I've checked and there aren't any so we are just going to have to get another Jeep. Sorry Babe I tried!!! What color would you like me to look for?
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:12 PM   #5

Just bought a used 2015 jeep GC. Installing the base plates and wiring now. This jeep is flat towable cause it has a tiny switch pushed with a ballpoint that puts transfer case in neutral electronically . Understand 2013 to 2016 are the same. Installing base plates (Roadmaster) required removing whole front and drilling 8 1/2 inch holes in frame. What a bugger. Never again. Jeep gc is one of the few that can be towed 4 wheels down and not worry about battery disconnect, stopping every 3 hours, no odometer hours plus Jeep allows it to be towed with instructions printed in manual.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:38 PM   #6

I tow a 2011 Chysler Town and Country, added at lube pump, have towed well over 50k miles with no issues. Previously towed a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan, with a lube pump, again towed more than 50 k miles no issues.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Been towing our '05 Ody for years, now at 105,000 miles with no problems. I know of a 2010 and a 2011 Ody that are being towed with no problems. Just follow the CR-V's setup instructions.
The newer Ody's with the 6 speed trans I have no idea about.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #8

We tow our '15 F-150 4x4 four down with no problems whatsoever. No disconnecting anything, no need for a charge line, just do what the manual says for 4 down towing and works like a charm.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:08 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for the information.
Bill
Old 04-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Bill, the Honda CRV (up through 2014) is a popular toad. We bought the 2013 AWD model and love it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Bill, the Honda CRV (up through 2014) is a popular toad. We bought the 2013 AWD model and love it!
I agree with Joe. It ain't no Jeep, but then, I never liked Jeeps anyway.
Let the flames begin.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
What is WRONG with you Dennis !?!?!

just kidding

We tried being passengers in the crv and BOY,
we thought the Jeep 4 door was small -
even their 'BIG extended' CRV has my short legs up around my ears so we either drive the jeep or go in the grandma 'Oddyssey'
Old 04-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #13

If you like space, try a Ford Flex. We used to tow a '99 Suburban, but the Flex can carry 6 adults with remarkable comfort, including multiple six-plus foot passengers.

BTW, why don't you trust the rebuilt engine in the Grand Cherokee?
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:57 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks again.
We looked at the CR-v, and that was our concern, no room in the back seat for passengers.
Johnboytoo, you mentioned the Odyssey, do you pull one? Do you or anyone else know what years and trim levels, e.g. touring, etc. are tow able?
In the campground we are at, there is a Town and Country that is being flat towed. Anyone know the same information about them? Also what additional equipment is needed?
Distaff, we looked at the Flex but my wife does not like its looks, so... Also the GC is a 2001 and although the rebuilt is fine, it only has 64,000 miles on it compared with the other with 120,000. I'm concerned about the "rest of the story," the other major parts.
Thank you
Bill

Tags
tow, towing