RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2019, 08:49 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is not a recommendation but rather a pointer to an option not mentioned by others. I ran across this and think it may be a viable option. The only downside I see is its need for a constant 12V power source. Your motorhome may have a 12V wire in the factory installed trailer plug.

It saves you the installation hassle of a conventional electric brake controller in the motorhome.

Check it out:

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...e/3430001.html

I read the reviews and those who purchased it seemed pleased.

I would ignore the long list of compatible vehicles. This will work on any tow vehicle if provided a 12v power source.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2019, 10:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Does the enclosed trailer have brakes?
If so I would recommend installing a brake contoller for the trailer.
Here is a link that might help
Brake Controller Location Guide for Monaco Brand Motor Homes - Unified Tow Brake
Your Diplomat may be prewired for a controller which would make the job easy.
Thanks Jim
To clarify Julie didn't mention that the coach is a 2004 Monaco Dynasty 40' with 4 sliders. We purchased a 20' x 8.5' 2 axle enclosed cargo trailer to haul a couple Harley's and a 4 seat side by side. On a spur of the moment we planned a long Thanksgiving trip to be with family and friends in central Oregon for UTV riding and fun.
I've been so busy with work, training a new person to replace me "they asked that I stay a year for this" and doing the finish on the inside of the trailer that I just messed up. Realizing this raised additional questions does the coach have one built in?
I got home last night got to looking around and found the prewire harness for an electric brake, found your information went to usgear com and it sounds like there controller may be the solution? I did go to Napa and the've never seen a harness that resembled it.

Concerns
1 This is a big combined unit how do I know when I have it tuned so the
T brakes don't lock up? Yes I know you can use the trigger only to tune
but??
2 Do I buy the Unified brake controller for Monaco coaches or buy a good
electric brake controller?
3 I also plan on towing the jeep at times too so this throws another curve ball that requires more knowledge than I have.

All said and done I hope I've been detailed enough so folks in the RV world better understand what Julie was talking about.

Maybe someone out there has the perfect solution?

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Jeff N Julie
Battle Ground Wa
Bluetick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
Thanks Jim
To clarify Julie didn't mention that the coach is a 2004 Monaco Dynasty 40' with 4 sliders. We purchased a 20' x 8.5' 2 axle enclosed cargo trailer to haul a couple Harley's and a 4 seat side by side. On a spur of the moment we planned a long Thanksgiving trip to be with family and friends in central Oregon for UTV riding and fun.
I've been so busy with work, training a new person to replace me "they asked that I stay a year for this" and doing the finish on the inside of the trailer that I just messed up. Realizing this raised additional questions does the coach have one built in?
I got home last night got to looking around and found the prewire harness for an electric brake, found your information went to usgear com and it sounds like there controller may be the solution? I did go to Napa and the've never seen a harness that resembled it.

Concerns
1 This is a big combined unit how do I know when I have it tuned so the
T brakes don't lock up? Yes I know you can use the trigger only to tune
but??
2 Do I buy the Unified brake controller for Monaco coaches or buy a good
electric brake controller?
3 I also plan on towing the jeep at times too so this throws another curve ball that requires more knowledge than I have.

All said and done I hope I've been detailed enough so folks in the RV world better understand what Julie was talking about.

Maybe someone out there has the perfect solution?

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Jeff N Julie
Battle Ground Wa
Also, remember that tongue length on the trailer can become an issue with backing-up or when turning tight.

IMO 5ft at the very min you from the box to the ball with a coach. Any shorter and you can get that trailer box in a bind with the coach....just saying... something to keep in mind.

Happy Trails
Old 11-28-2019, 11:28 AM   #18

Coach

Thanks for the advice many many years ago we started out with a old flat bed forest service truck, camper and 4 horse trailer. We looked like the Beverly hillbillies going down the road and were proud of it. The kids can honestly say thieve ridden the Pacific Crest trail from the Columbia river to Whites pass logging in many miles. Were OK trailering and confident in what we plan to do with the units.
Were soon to be starting another chapter in our lives and looking forward to it.
J & J
Bluetick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:25 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I spent hours looking for the four extra wires that you’re 04 Dynasty will have running to the back.Between not finding them and the brake switch provides s ground not a hot, I gave up on mounting a controller upfront. Took me less than 45 minutes to mount one in the engine compartment where everything is easy to find and readily available. Once you determine the right amount of gain on the controller you never need to touch it again.

I would pull the fuse (front run box) that turns on your brake lights when you’re using the Jake brake so the trailer brakes do not come on going down a long hill.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know the brake light should come on when you are stopping but using the Jake is not always stopping. When you use the engine to slow down in a gas NH, does the brake lights come on?
Old 11-30-2019, 08:25 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Glad you found the prewire, makes everything a lot easier.

I don't pull a trailer with my coach but I do pull a trailer with my Jeep. I installed a Tekonsa P3 controller. I really like it and easy to set up. You can adjust the voltage on the empty trailer until the wheel lock up and skid and then turn it down slightly. The controller then gives you boost options for a partially or fully loaded trailer. Once I get the unloaded trailer setting right I just use the boost when hauling a load. In my Jeep I can feel the trailer braking so I know it is working, you won't be able to do that in a coach.

My Windsor has air brakes and was already set up with an airline to use a Toad air brake system. I went with the Roadmaster 9160

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Bra...r/RM-9160.html
Once set up it is easy install and works great. There are other options. You might use another post to get better info.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
I spent hours looking for the four extra wires that you’re 04 Dynasty will have running to the back.Between not finding them and the brake switch provides s ground not a hot, I gave up on mounting a controller upfront. Took me less than 45 minutes to mount one in the engine compartment where everything is easy to find and readily available. Once you determine the right amount of gain on the controller you never need to touch it again.

I would pull the fuse (front run box) that turns on your brake lights when you’re using the Jake brake so the trailer brakes do not come on going down a long hill.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know the brake light should come on when you are stopping but using the Jake is not always stopping. When you use the engine to slow down in a gas NH, does the brake lights come on?

Thank you for sharing that information

I currently don't have a brake trailer controller on my coach and have no need for one at this time.

That said and after reading many threads here over the years at iRV2 on the hassles that can arise for having no trailer brake pre-wiring from the factory and running the wiring from front to rear in/under the coach

I have often thought to myself why not do as you have done.. and that be to just install the unit in the rear engine compartment ..... set it and forget it ....you answered my question...and again Thanks for sharing

Happy Trails

Tags
brake, brakes, monaco, tow, towing, trailer