Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2016, 03:12 PM   #15

We use the Raton Pass as our "Dyno". I can hold 35 to 37 mph on the long stretch. Our unit is 42 ft. and does have the Tag. I usually drive at 65 mph but on I-10 in AZ we sometimes run @ 75 mph. Fuel mileage sucks at the higher speeds.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #16

Once you have experienced driving the "M" series engine, you will not be happy with anything less.

I had a M11 and one of my top priorities when we traded, was to get at least a 500hp engine. With the larger engine you also get the 4000 series trans and a compression brake.

Other priorities were the aqua hot system, tag axle and at least 2 slides. We ended up trading down from an older Signature to a newer Executive. Not a lot of difference but there are differences when you trade down a model or two. Not very obvious when you first look, but you will notice the longer you have/use it.

Bottom line...its hard to beat the top three of the Monaco line.

PS: I just want to add I had close to 200,000 miles on my M11, and never had an issue. Still running like a new one.
grldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:04 PM   #17

Thanks Moisheh and Grldst, Yea, was wondering about how speed affects the economy.

Our sweet spot is 72-73, climbs hills best and is best MPG overall.

Thanks again all.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grldst View Post
Once you have experienced driving the "M" series engine, you will not be happy with anything less.

I had a M11 and one of my top priorities when we traded, was to get at least a 500hp engine. With the larger engine you also get the 4000 series trans and a compression brake.

Other priorities were the aqua hot system, tag axle and at least 2 slides. We ended up trading down from an older Signature to a newer Executive. Not a lot of difference but there are differences when you trade down a model or two. Not very obvious when you first look, but you will notice the longer you have/use it.

Bottom line...its hard to beat the top three of the Monaco line.

PS: I just want to add I had close to 200,000 miles on my M11, and never had an issue. Still running like a new one.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:06 PM   #18

Oh yea, have a buddy with a 08 Sig, 600 HP says he gets 4.9 MPG, says he misses his 500 ISM, 4.9 is not good!
Windecker
Old 12-29-2016, 10:36 PM   #19

I have a 2004 Executive with the ISM rated 500hp and 1550 lb ft torque. I tell my wife every time I drive it that I am impressed with the way it runs, rides and drives, love that tag axle. We weigh in at about 44,000 lb pulling a jeep liberty. Last summers trip of a little over 2500 miles averaged 7.1 mpg driving the speed limit which was 65 and 75 mph. That was actual miles and actual fuel gallons calculated, the aladdin was within .1 of actual. We were also using the generator a few hours a day while we were parked for over a week and also while driving when it got hot out to run the roof ac. I am happy with that. It handles the hills great and I know I would be disappointed in less hp. JMHO

Dave
Woodman018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post
Greetings,
My wife and I have been toying with replacing our 1999 Signature with a newer larger model.
We are looking at a 2005 Dynasty which has a floor plan we like and such but I would be giving up an M11 450 for an ISL 8.9 400

Currently have one slide, would be picking up 2 for a total of 3 on the newer coach. I don't have the $$ to just buy a 2005 Signature.

We love the drivability of the power system in our Signature but it is single rear axle. Love the added tag on the Dynasty and the perceived handling, concerned about climbing even small hills.

So, how many folks in a 400 Dynasty are wishing they had more power as that is my primary concern, running out of engine esp. when towing car.

Also, what kind of MPG are you seeing reliably in these units? I am between 7-9 with my Signature. I budget 7.5 for all trips and normally come in slightly better.

Comments appreciated, in support and against...
Thanks
Windecker
IMHO, the decision is more of total package to total package:
1. Compare purchase price
2. Compare options
3. Compare condition
4. Compare layout
5. Compare drivability

In other words... No, actually in these words "Based on your available and disposable dollars, which one feels right to you (and your SO)?"
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:03 AM   #21

Yup, you both nailed it! Thanks for the comments!
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
IMHO, the decision is more of total package to total package:
1. Compare purchase price
2. Compare options
3. Compare condition
4. Compare layout
5. Compare drivability

In other words... No, actually in these words "Based on your available and disposable dollars, which one feels right to you (and your SO)?"
Old 12-30-2016, 09:50 AM   #22

We have a 2005 Dynasty 40', after almost 4 years of ownership I would not want to replace it, great coach, power wise it's fine, we tow a 4500 towed, we travel a lot in the west lots of mountains, I cruse at 62 +- as an average, on long grades it may slow down to 42 mph, fuel burn is a constant average 8.3 mpg, there a great coach
RonD1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:19 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Don't shy away from the 525 ISX, mines been bulletproof so far at 47k. And has averaged 6.3 since new on the Aladdin. Raton Pass is 48mph and handles it great both uphill and down with the big jake holding it back. We love the ride and handling with the tag and think it is a must have item. JMO
Old 12-31-2016, 03:27 PM   #24

Thanks again all. This far on our Florida and back to Cincinnati trip we are at 7.69 with about 8m hours Aqua hot and 3-4 hours gen AC time. Running 75 pretty much the entire way. Pretty short trip to get real numbers by.

I can totally see how I would miss the power when frigging traffic interferes with my momentum and have plenty on the open road with the ISL.

I really don't think there is a right or wrong, it is very personal and a frame of mind, what am I spending, getting, giving up, increasing and so on. The Dynasty coaches are beautiful and much more plentiful, less money.

Thanks again all, I really do read and try to understand exactly what you are saying.

I am curious also about the Detroit engines I am seeing in some coaches. Are they rock solid or like the days of old, great engines that either you love or hate? If it is not leaking oil it is out LOL.

Windecker
Old 01-01-2017, 08:40 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The Detroit engines of today are good as any out there..Since 1987 with the introduction of the 60 series, the old leaky screaming jimmy's image became a thing of the past...And I believe it was the first with electronic ignition and the best fuel mileage engine at the time...We have a couple of semi's with the Detroit motor and they are as dependable as ever with close to 900,000 miles. I have had our Cummins M11 in the shop more than the Detroit..But I am comparing only 8 different rigs..Doug.
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:46 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
The Detroit Series 60 is a great engine. It has a reputation for good fuel mileage. They were a $20k option in Monaco Signature, Executive, Beaver Marquis, and Holiday Rambler Navigator. The years were 2004 to 2007. In our search we found several in Navigators. Even though the peak torque is only 1650 ft lbs, the torque curve from idle on up is very high. They feel and sound very powerful.

• Series 60 Detroit Diesel 515 HP Engine
with Allison® 4000 MH 6-Speed World
Transmission and Electronic Shifter;
Torque:1,650 ft./lbs.; 858 Cu. In. Engine
Displacement
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #27

Thanks, honestly don't know much about the Detroits. What do they mean when they say "upgraded" Detroit?
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamebuster View Post
The Detroit engines of today are good as any out there..Since 1987 with the introduction of the 60 series, the old leaky screaming jimmy's image became a thing of the past...And I believe it was the first with electronic ignition and the best fuel mileage engine at the time...We have a couple of semi's with the Detroit motor and they are as dependable as ever with close to 900,000 miles. I have had our Cummins M11 in the shop more than the Detroit..But I am comparing only 8 different rigs..Doug.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #28

ISL

Thanks, not sure what a Turbo Aero Muffler is and what it is supposed to do?

When I test drove the Dynasty the right mirror was loose and swung back making it impossible to see the right side so we had to cut my drive very short. I drug my feet on a deposit pending more information about this ISL engine, the coach sold an hour later to someone else. So my ISL experience is very limited.
One thing I noticed was the RPM just before the mirror folded back was something like 1900 at 70 MPH, does that sound about right? That would explain a few things such as why higher speed cuts mileage down and lower speed seems to be overwhelmingly acceptable to so many folks.
I am comparing the M11 at 75 MPH right at 1700 RPM, may wind up feeling about the same due to gearing, just need to slow down?

Thoughts?
Thank you.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post
2003 Dynasty 42 regal tag isl 400 put new turbo aero muffler helped with acceleration quite a bit. I get about 7.5 8.0 mpg at 1650 rpm at about 63 mph and do just fine. I pull a 4x4 gmc 1500 with 1200 lb motorcycle trike in back. I have been up and down west coast and it is no worse than the new trucks I deliver cross country. Go down hill and pick up speed before you get to bottom of steep hills and you go over at 55 or so. I am down to 35 or so at Chattanooga due to curves

The difference in livability interior makes it worth it.