Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2017, 06:28 PM   #1

Trailer Brake controller

I need to install a trailer brake controller on my 2000 Dynasty. Looking at the Tekonsha P3 controller.

Looking for any wiring diagrams for the coach for this operation. Any and all experience appreciated!
thanks!
Rusty
Rusty Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2017, 10:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a P3 in our 07 Exec last month. It requires an ignition on +12v input, ground, a brake light wire input (this is more complex on a diesel with exhaust brake and may require a relay), and a brake power output wire run to the hitch. The Exec was prewired, so the only hard part was finding the pre-wire bundle and splicing it into the P3.

I also installed an older model Tekonsha Prodigy (predecessor of the P3) brake control in our 97 Windsor several years ago. This was straight forward as it did not have preinstalled wiring, but on this installation I had to route the brake output wire all the way back to the hitch area. I used a 1 piece 10 gauge wire all the way to the trailer hitch.

Your 2000 also may not have a pre-wire bundle. This may be a blessing in disguise as I spent several hours of researching and looking for the bundle.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:24 AM   #3

Ok thanks for the Info Vito. I do have an Exhaust Brake, I will check with Etrailer or someone to see who knows about the relay for that.
Looks like you drag Race. So do I.
Thanks again!

Rusty
Old 01-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I have one of these on the way. It does not need any wiring in the coach at all. It may look expensive on the surface, but factor in a Prodigy is $100, then the parts and labor to wire it all in, and it's a no-brainer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P0ZA86

I will test it using my truck soon.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
By the way, it isn't a relay that you need. It's a diode, or some sort of manual switch.

I guess I'm kind of lucky, etrailer (Southwest Wheel) is in my city.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:50 PM   #6

Diode, Got it.

I am not sure about that wireless deal, might be great. I am curious to know the results. please let us know.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:19 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kramer View Post
Diode, Got it.

I am not sure about that wireless deal, might be great. I am curious to know the results. please let us know.
There were some talk about it elsewhere in the forum. That's how I found out about it. The way it works is you program it from the remote (brake power, etc) then it's set and you can put the remote away if you want. Or you can keep it handy to change settings and for manual engagement. The reviews on various websites say that pairing has been a pain but once done it is great. I'm pretty excited about it as it solved a major dilemma for me.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Diode, Got it.

I have had the Prodigy RF wireless unit for about five years and has worked flawlessly. But actuator on the trailer must be the RF type.

Re exhaust brake, on the Monaco there is a fuse you can pull to deactivate the brake light when the exhaust brake is applied. I normally tap the service brake to indicate I am slowing down. Others may be uncomfortable with deactivation of the brake light. So be it.
Eaglesview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:29 AM   #9

Eagle, What size trailer are you pulling? I will be pulling 8Klb 32' race car deal. just wondering if you are pulling a large unit like this.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:53 AM   #10

25 foot enclosed car trailer. Trailer axles scale at 8,800 lb. Motorhome is a 2005 Monaco Dynasty
Eaglesview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Eagle, What size trailer are you pulling? I will be pulling 8Klb 32' race car deal. just wondering if you are pulling a large unit like this.

Listening closely from back here in the cheap seats as to the performance of this wireless Prodigy product. I recently dumped my 50f T&E race hauler and thinking about a 32f stacker on my coach
Old 01-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #12

Yes it sure seams this would be a great option if it is working as stated I am interested. I have plenty of other details to work on to have something simple that works well and I dont have to "invade" into the wires on the coach this is good!
The exhaust brake/brake light issue is not a factor any longer also.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Rusty, some great threads on trailer brake wiring. The first link has details on the relay.
The second one has a nice wire diagram. I think 2004 was the first year for Monaco pre-wire.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/nega...tml#post818965

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/trai...ng-305168.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/elec...ol-298965.html
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:58 PM   #14

Thanks to all you guys for the good information. I am sure thinking about that wireless set up. I would like to ask you Racers if you are pulling power from your coach Generator to run your trailer 110V lights. Air comp etc. If you are would you share where and how you are doing this to get solid 110 power to the trailer?

Thanks again!
Rusty

Tags
brake