Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2016, 07:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67fisher View Post
I also have a 2001 Endeavor. 38 PBD, Cummins 330. It did not have a trailer brake harness. I installed a Prodigy and wired it myself. Time consuming but not a big deal.
Thank you for that. Well I figure while I am running wires, I will go ahead and run some for an EGT gauge, and maybe fuel pressure too.
atc-eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2016, 02:52 PM   #16

I hear your frustration. On my 07 Knight, I finally (after a long, long search) found the brake connector tucked away very nicely inside the shroud on the steering column. It is a 6 pin connector with only five pins used. According to some documentation I have seen, the pins are not always the same so pin numbers are of no use. The wires are all white with a legend printed on them as to what they do. The five wires are:

Switched (ignition) 12V
Ground
Brake Light Switch (does NOT come on with the exhaust brake, only the pedal)
Brake controller wire
+12V Battery feed (not switched)

I was also told my a Monaco tech that you can verify if the brake controller wire is actually wired by looking at the cable near the trailer connector. That connector is a molded back connector which has 7 wires coming from it, including the brake controller connection. HOWEVER, there is another cable connector about 12-18 inches away that may only have 6 wires in it, missing the brake controller. If the wire is there, then the brake connection should go all the way. Otherwise, you have to run your own wire from the cockpit.

Good luck. Hope you find it.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Finally!!
I just found my trailer brake control pre-wire. It was under the dash to the left of the steering column tied back above the diagnostic connector set and has been previously used. The previous owner cut 4 of the 5 wires off flush with the connector but they are all still there. I'm pretty sure they towed a car on a tow bar.

It has 5 wires: blue, red, & white down one side of the connector; and black-white stripe, yellow-black stripe down the other side. The connector has "66" written on both sides with a sharpie.

Now I just need to figure out what each wire is and where/how to mount my controller.

On a side note, I also found a CB antenna wire bundled up and tied back there. Is it still worth the trouble to install a CB?
Thanks
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Now I just need to figure out what each wire is and where/how to mount my controller.
Vito, Jim gave you a pinout in post #4. It's also on sheets 191 and 192 of the 2007 Signature drawing set you (now) have.

Too bad someone cut five of the six wires at the connector. Is the one wire left in the connector the blue one? That would be consistent with someone putting a toad brake activation light/LED on the dash. In any case, you have your choice of how to wire in the controller:

1) Cut the original connector off completely, discard, and use butt splices to connect your controller pigtail.

2) Cut the original connector off completely, discard, and use a terminal block (links here and here) to connect your controller pigtail.

3) Pull the pins out of the original connector, splice them back on their wires with butt splices, and reinsert them into the connector. Then, buy a mating original connector with pins and put them on your controller pigtail.

4) Cut the remaining wire off the original connector. Then buy a replacement original connector, its mate and pins. Put the pins on the wire ends and on the controller pigtail, insert the wires in the replacement original connector and its mate.

5) Cut the remaining wire off the original connector. Then buy a different design connector, its mate and pins. You could use a Ford connector, as there is a mating Tekonsha brake controller pigtail available, but a Deutch or a Delphi would work. Put the pins on the wire ends and on the controller pigtail, insert the wires in the different connector and its mate.

I like to:

a) have things as close to factory as possible
b) retain the option of connecting things differently later
(for instance, have the flexibility to use the blue wire for a toad brake activation light, without having to cut any wire or re-pin any connectors)

so I'd put these options in this order of preference: 4), 3), 2), 5), 1).

On my coach, someone had "stolen" the power and ground leads for the CB. He didn't have to do that, as there was already a connectorized CB power cable under the dash. I suppose he didn't want to look for it, or didn't find it. I would have implemented option 4), but the wire gauge (from the factory) was only 18 AWG- too small for a brake controller current of up to 30A. Instead, I chose option 2). It's pretty slick in that I can wire any arbitrary device off the brake controller signal wires. I did indeed mount a toad brake activation LED off the blue wire. I mounted the terminal block where I can get to it without major under-dash contortions. Finally, Option 2) is a solution that doesn't require you to buy connectors and pins (and their tools).

Here are part numbers for the factory original connectors and Altech terminal strip, from Allied Electronics:

Code:
70083493    1-480704-0
     Connector, Soft Shell; Universal MATE-N-LOK; 6; Plug; Nylon; Natural; 19 A

70083505    1-480705-0
     Connector, Soft Shell; Universal MATE-N-LOK; 6; Receptacle (Cap); Nylon; 19 A

70077675    HE4HNWPR/12
     Conn; Term Strip; Euro; 12; 10 mm; Double; 24-10 AWG; 30 A; 600 V
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:10 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks. Yes, I saw Jims post. I checked them and they were all correct. The previous owner used all but the 12ga red wire (battery +12). There is another wire in the bundle that is Ign +12 and he used that instead.

I have some good quality butt connectors so I just used those. I agree with you, if they hadn't been cut already I would have purchased the mating connector and done it that way.

Sure was hard crimping those butt connectors up under the dash!

Of course the red + 12 wire got away from me and touched the diagnostics bracket and blew the fuse. Now need to go outside and try to track it down.

Thanks again
Old 10-29-2016, 06:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Of course the red + 12 wire got away from me and touched the diagnostics bracket and blew the fuse. Now need to go outside and try to track it down.
Vito-

Fuse F7-3, 20A, per the diagrams.

I can't tell you where it may be, though!
Old 10-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, this sure has a lot more fuses than my Windsor. I found it outside in the electric bay. It's only a 10A, but that may be enough.

Another issue, with key on, I have 12V on the stoplight wire all the time, brake on or off.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:06 PM   #22

Code:
Pin  Coach           Prodigy         Purpose
1    white           white           ground
2    black-white     red             brake signal in
3    blue            blue            brake signal out
4    yellow-black    n/a             12V - ignition switched
5    red             black           12V - always hot
6    n/a             n/a             not used
Sounds as if you may have spliced red to red, or yellow-black to red.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
You are right again. Spliced Monaco yellow-black stripe to red on brake control. I taped it and zip tied it really nice. Have to cut it open. Oh well!
Old 10-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Is it best to use the Monaco red (battery +12) or the Monaco yellow-black stripe (+12 Ignition on) for the 12V source?
Old 10-30-2016, 05:28 AM   #25

I think using the red "always hot" lead is consistent with the Prodigy wiring diagram (copy below). This lead provides the high current (up to the 20A fuse limit) that the controller modulates. My post #22 reflects this thinking. I'd compare that with what the controller installation manual says.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Prodigy Wiring Diagram.pdf (28.2 KB, 63 views)
Old 10-30-2016, 08:27 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
My red wire circuit came with a 10a fuse. Thought maybe the yellow circuit had a higher rated fuse.

The red wire was 12ga. I need to look at it out in the bay to see if it's 12ga all the way. Maybe I can install a 20a fuse in it.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:46 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I believe the Prodigy brake controller recommends a re-settable circuit breaker.

I installed the P3 in my jeep and that's what I used. I intend to eventually wire my Windsor if the need arises.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:32 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, I just ordered an auto reset circuit breaker that fits into the ATC fuse slot.

The question is how large of a breaker/fuse can i install on this 12 gauge circuit?

Tags
brake