RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2020, 10:57 AM   #1

Trailer brake question

I have a 2005 HR Ambassador diesel pusher motorhome that the brake lights come on when the Pacbrake is activated. So my question is , when I am coming down a grade with the engine brake on, but not applying the service brakes, will the trailer brakes be activated. My concern is overheating the trailer brakes. I have installed a Tecomseh Prodigy P3 controler with the brake light signal coming off of the Monaco box in the front compartment ( wire#102 ), and running through a relay to make it a positive signal.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2020, 11:44 AM   #2

It depends on the brake controller. It has the inertia sensor in it that sends voltage to the brakes.

I don't think a brake light signal will apply the brakes, it needs to be slowing.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
It depends on the brake controller. It has the inertia sensor in it that sends voltage to the brakes.

I don't think a brake light signal will apply the brakes, it needs to be slowing.
I believe it's a combination of both.
I would check with the manufacturer to be sure.
Lynn
Old 04-09-2020, 02:17 PM   #4

I know this has been a problem in the past with controllers. I was lucky and my brake lights don't come on with my Jake hence no need for worry. I would be very concerned if your controller switches on with the brake lights. Like said in previous post check with Manufacturer. And in previous post the controller is effected by the inertia of slowing with the brake lights on by sending more current to the brakes.Mine does not activate at all from the inertia of decreasing speed without the brake lights on.

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Better with a Inertia controller but still going to put some braking on. There is a fuse on a board in the front run box you can pull so the brake lights do not come on.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:34 PM   #6

I think brake light switch connect activates early brake/boost setting before enersia kicks in it can be turned off completely for small toad probably not necessary at all . There are a ton "google and U-tube" of other vids you could probably learn more than most people on here in an hour of flipping through them. When I do car repairs i look up an A-1 auto type vid and a couple good ole boys that figured out to do it easier or less disassembly with DIY tools.

https://www.towingproducts.net/Appli...ons/N90195.pdf
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:22 PM   #7

Do you know which fuse to pull, so that the brake lights don't come on with the exhaust brake?
Old 04-10-2020, 05:06 AM   #8

Earle - Don't know about the fuse, but you are on the right track. I know several people that have damaged trailer brakes coming down long grades with an engine or exhaust brake on. Some coaches have a separate circuit for the trailer brake controller so it only sees power when you are on the brakes and not when just the ex brake is activated.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:20 AM   #9

Jack up a trailer wheel, step on the MH brake and see if the trailer brake comes on, by turning the tire.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:39 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by castelek View Post
Do you know which fuse to pull, so that the brake lights don't come on with the exhaust brake?
Yes, but not sure your Ambassador will have the same F8 board in the front run box for various lights.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:50 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
OK, enough fun ^^^^^. It’s the middle 15A fuse that’s only plugged into one spade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F2CDEC61-51DC-4EB2-B365-A1174E2EE277.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	281080  
Old 04-10-2020, 06:47 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
OK, enough fun ^^^^^. It’s the middle 15A fuse that’s only plugged into one spade.
That is interesting, I have the same fuse which is good but do not have brake lights on with the engine brakes. I'll have to check that out.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:36 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Before the naysayers chime in above no brake lights when using the Jake Brake (in my case)... do the brake lights come on in a gas rig when you gear down and use the engine to slow you down???
NO, they do not... what’s the difference? If I’m actually stopping or slowing down substantially I will use the service brakes so the brake lights come on.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Before the naysayers chime in above no brake lights when using the Jake Brake (in my case)... do the brake lights come on in a gas rig when you gear down and use the engine to slow you down???
NO, they do not... what’s the difference? If I’m actually stopping or slowing down substantially I will use the service brakes so the brake lights come on.
I'm with you on this. If I am slowing down I want anyone behind me to know it.
Lynn

Tags
brake, trailer