Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Trailer brakes

didn't want to hijack the other thread but I have a question for guys familiar with the wireless prodigy brake system. I just bought one and where do you find the 12 volt 20 amp source to power the unit while the key is on? 97 monaco windsor. thanks
Quicktree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
20 amp. source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicktree View Post
didn't want to hijack the other thread but I have a question for guys familiar with the wireless prodigy brake system. I just bought one and where do you find the 12 volt 20 amp source to power the unit while the key is on? 97 monaco windsor. thanks
I have the wireless unit, it is just plug and play.....drivers unit- 12 VDC plug-in(Dash area), trailer end, just plug in after "pairing the unit"

http://www.etrailer.com/product.aspx...cc-onlyreviews
Old 01-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I understand how to install it, my Motor home does not have a 7 pin connector I had to add one. I need the 12 volt feed capable of providing 20 amp to power the system. I guess it goes to pin #2 according to the instructions
Old 01-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
OK, you did not state this in your post, I had a 7 pin already but I am not sure if I even had a 20 amp. source already, I just plugged it in and it has worked fine for years. Run a wire from your batteries w/ a 20 amp. inline fuse or get a 20 circuit breaker to do what you want. I don't see where they want a 20 amp. feed for this unit http://www.tekonsha.com/content/down...ion/N90250.pdf
Just wire up the 7 pin plug on your Coach the way it is suppose to be and it should work just fine. I might of missed something here and if so.......let me know, alls I know mine was just plug and play with no special 20 amp. wire installed.
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Pin #2 does not need a wire on it(#10 blue brake wire) that is why you bought a wireless brake controller, the trailer brakes are activated wirelessly from the drivers seat to the controller on your trailer frame and then the signal to your brakes. Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
the unit that mounts to the trailer needs a 12 volt source to operate. guess it could be through the #7 pin auxiliary power. the instructions are not clear on this. I will give them a call Monday. thanks for the help.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
the unit that mounts to the trailer needs a 12 volt source to operate. guess it could be through the #7 pin auxiliary power.
Yes, it needs some power, and the aux power pin (battery charge line) would make the most sense.

I think palehorse89 has the right idea. He just didn't have to worry about the charge line because it was already there on his 7-pin.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Yes, it needs some power, and the aux power pin (battery charge line) would make the most sense.

I think palehorse89 has the right idea. He just didn't have to worry about the charge line because it was already there on his 7-pin.
thats correct, i am just not sure if gets it's feed from #7 or #4 battery charge terminal. the instructions list what all 3 are but doesn't say witch one feeds the unit. thanks
Old 01-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Based on the installation instructions for the wireless prodigy, Pin #4 is the 12 VDC positive charge line. Pin #7 is an auxiliary pin which can be used for anything else you may want.

http://www.tekonsha.com/content/down...ion/N90250.pdf

What's extremely important is the wire configuration of your 7 pin on the coach has to match your 7 pin on your trailer.

There is a standard recommendation for RV's etc. PDF file attached.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 6-Way & 7-Way Wiring Diagram.pdf (34.9 KB, 37 views)
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
thats correct, i am just not sure if gets it's feed from #7 or #4 battery charge terminal. the instructions list what all 3 are but doesn't say witch one feeds the unit. thanks
I'm virtually positive you want the battery line on pin 4. This is a raw 12 volt supply. The controller will take that, modulate it, and feed it to the trailer's pin 2. (The wireless controller plugs in-line between the vehicle's socket and trailer's plug.)

The pin 2 brake line from the vehicle would be if you had the hard wired controller that is feeding modulated power directly to the brakes. You don't have this.

The pin 7 auxiliary signal can be used for several purposes, but is most commonly a reverse lights signal. That won't do you any good here.

If it were me, I would be wiring up a fused 20 amp circuit to pin 4, and leave pins 2 and 7 unconnected. I'm guessing you don't have any questions about the remaining signals (ground, running lights, left turn/brake and right turn/brake: of course I'd connect them up.)
Old 01-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I bet you are correct, have any idea where to find a free 20 amp circuit on my 97 monaco?
I have the other wires figured out and working, thanks
Old 01-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a Rear Run Electrical Bay, hook up a 12 gauge primary wire to the chassis positive battery lug found in the bay. Then run that wire to the 20 amp auto-resetting circuit breaker and then on to your 7-pin coach receptacle.

If you don't have any battery lugs then you may have to go directly to your battery bank.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
well I ran a wire from the batteries, got the unit to power up and sync with the hand held unit but it wont connect with the trailer. called tekonsha and they had me check ohm's between the #5 and #7 pins and I had nothing seems like something is wrong with the blue #7 pin feed. they said there is a break in that wire somewhere. so after the cold moves out tomorrow i'll check and see if I can find the problem.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
seems like something is wrong with the blue #7 pin feed. they said there is a break in that wire somewhere. so after the cold moves out tomorrow i'll check and see if I can find the problem.
I've got the exact same issue going on with my old landscape trailer (that gets used once or twice a year.) The last time I went to use it, my new truck with the factory brake controller said that there was nothing there. Checked the Ohms for the trailer's brake circuit, and yep, it's open. So I've got a broken wire to find myself, but I'm going to wait until spring.

I sure hope mine is easy to find, since all of the wires run inside the trailer's square tube frame! I hope they didn't bury any splices in there!

Good luck finding your break, you seem to be so close. I hope it's an easy fix.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
this is a enclosed race car trailer and wires are underneath it, should be easy. and spring will be thursday, back up to 70* then near 80 on saturday

Tags
brakes, brake