Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Trailer Legal in California?

Saw this attached to a motor home and behind that a Jeep being towed when we stayed at KOA campground in California. Does anyone know if it is legal in Calif. I like the concept and it would allow me to stay under 65' in length and still bring both toys and trailer. Home - Toy Tote

Price wasn't to bad either.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Total length of everything must be under 65', in addition some communities may limit length even more off interstate highways except for fuel.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Total would be under 65' l'm trying to figure out if their trailer hookup plus jeep attached would be legal in California. It looks like you are towing double but this trailer is like an extension of motor home with jeep in tow.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:20 PM   #4

I don't think you can tow two trailers on a non-commerical license in California. I believe this requires DOT trailers and a commercial license.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:24 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
On the Toy Tote website it claims it's not a trailer, but adds you need to check with state officials.

A 2009 Beaver Contessa is 42' long, add a Jeep CJ7 at almost 13', plus a tow bar of 3', that totals about 58'. That leaves 7' for the Toy Tote.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I like the idea a lot. Looked at it awhile back. As I understand, as commented on their web site - not a trailer. The 'check with' comment is no doubt CYA.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:34 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Guess I'll have to ck with DMV. My coach is a 40' which would leave me roughly 25'. Key is do they consider it a double or the Toy Tote an extension of MH? If it's considered an extension then I'd be good to go.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The rules for combo towing in CA are pretty straight forward. 1) You must have a commercial license. 2) The first trailer must be connected to the tow vehicle with a fifth wheel hitch (not a bumper tow or a goose neck hitch) 3) the rear most towed vehicle must be equipped with a brake system (even if its under the normal weight requirement for brakes. 4) Must comply with length limits.

Most police officers or even many CHP officers aren't that familiar with the law. They usually have to ask an officer who was trained in commercial enforcement to verify compliance. BTW: It's usually provision 1 and provision 3 that most recreational tower mess up on.

Bruce LaHargoue
Happily Retired
Clovis, CA
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:51 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
As for your specific question about the Tote, I'd take your info down to a local CHP office and ask to talk to their Commercial Enforcement Officer about the legality. DMV employees are not well versed in such things. Ask 10 DMV employees and you will receive 10 different answers. I can't tell from the pictures on their web site and am not sure what to think.

Bruce LaHargoue
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:09 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kketterling View Post
Guess I'll have to ck with DMV. My coach is a 40' which would leave me roughly 25'. Key is do they consider it a double or the Toy Tote an extension of MH? If it's considered an extension then I'd be good to go.
If it were an extension there may be an issue. As I recall the limit of a MH to 45'.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
If it were an extension there may be an issue. As I recall the limit of a MH to 45'.
It's a bit more complicated ... 45 ft. motorhome is max on most CA highways but not allowed on others. You need the Caltrans "map" to determine where a big rig can travel.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:20 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I agree I meant to say CHP not DMV.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:08 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
It's a bit more complicated ... 45 ft. motorhome is max on most CA highways but not allowed on others. You need the Caltrans "map" to determine where a big rig can travel.
Yup - more than 45 would not be allowed on any highway. Probably more states than CA have the 45 limit as well.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Yup - more than 45 would not be allowed on any highway. Probably more states than CA have the 45 limit as well.
Yes ... but California has a 40 ft. limit on Motorhomes with exclusions that allow up to 45 ft. on most CA highways and Interstates. For example, the Pacific Coast Highway has sections that are 40 ft. and sections that are 45 ft.

You need one of these to decipher the mess ... it's specific to buses and Motorhomes. It's also specific to the roads that are on the map.

45' Bus & Motorhome Map

Tags
california