Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2021, 07:49 PM   #1

Trailer towing

Another question ,,
Want to tow my dirt bikes and motorcycle behind Monaco
Single axle trailer or double …??

Any tips .. purchased the tps system that has ones for trailer tires .

V noise of round noise trailer .
Sspdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2021, 11:17 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sspdiesel View Post
Another question ,,
Want to tow my dirt bikes and motorcycle behind Monaco
Single axle trailer or double …??

Any tips .. purchased the tps system that has ones for trailer tires .

V noise of round noise trailer .
I believe you have a 10k hitch rating, so as long as you don't exceed your GCWR, you will be fine weight wise. Also watch your overall length. Here in California, that's 65'.

Likely a trailer you purchase will have the brakes on it, either electric or surge. I added an electric brake controller for my double axle flat bed trailer, we have dirt bikes, quads and landsailers. I also have a smaller single axle trailer that doesn't require brakes. The double axle tows better and much easier to back up.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:45 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'd second the tandem trailer. Any trailer of length will be tandem and they are just more stable. As to the v or round/flat, I'm not sure it would matter behind a coach. One thing to note, if you're planning on or do have a RZR type vehicle to put in there, the standard height box trailer isn't generally tall enough. If I were going to buy a trailer and had any inkling that the contents would change, I'd buy the one I might need in the future.
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:49 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I've towed large enclosed race trailers around for many years and have a couple of suggestions. Our last one was a 26' Haulmark Edge race trailer and after getting out of racing I hauled our Harley Davidson and Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for a couple of years before selling it and going solely to flat towing. I really enjoyed hauling my trailers with all three of our coaches over the past 25+ years. I actually miss my trailer much of the time.

First, I wouldn't suggest a really short trailer. Yes there is less weight but I have found a longer trailer tows better and much easier to maneuver. Personally I wouldn't go any shorter than about 20'. I would recommend purchasing one with an extended tongue, some trailer manufacturers refer to this as an "RV tongue".

Second, I would suggest tandem axles as they ride so much better and smoother and recommend brakes on both. Get a good quality trailer brake controller for using from the cockpit.

Pertaining to trailer brakes, if you have an exhaust brake setup determine if the brake lights are activated when the exhaust brake is engaged. It can be hit and miss with Monaco products but most of the ones I have worked on activate the brake lights WITH the exhaust brake. When you tie the brake controller into the braking circuit the best and easiest way is usually into the brake light circuit. This works great BUT the only downside is that when you activate your exhaust brake (or engine compression brake) the trailer brakes will also be engaged. This is not ideal on long downhill grades. I have seen people smoke their trailer brakes and not even realize it.

I put a normally closed relay in line with my trailer brake controller with a toggle switch located right nest to my shift control pad. Under normal driving conditions the relay is closed and the signal goes from the brake switch to the brake controller and to the trailer brakes normally without interruption. However, when I am descending a long grade I simply flip the toggle switch, which also illuminates the rocker switch to indicate it is in the bypass position, and the signal from the brake switch to the trailer brake controller is interrupted and does not activate the trailer brakes. This allows the coach to be slowed with the exhaust brake (or engine compression brake) but does not drag the trailer brakes along causing them to overheat.

It is simple and quick to switch back and forth and generally left in the normal position unless I don't want my trailer brakes activated on long downhill grades.

I had my enclosed trailer equipped with a rear view camera on the back of the trailer that I could toggle between the one on the back of the coach and the back of the trailer as well as one located inside the trailer where I could keep an eye on the contents of the trailer when traveling but in hindsight I don't know if I would do that again. It was a lot of work and in well over 100k miles of hauling enclosed trailers, I never had any cargo move enough to worry about and my mirrors looking down the sides worked perfect for normal driving. I was 72' long bumper to bumper and don't think I would have added the extra cameras if I were to do it again.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:16 AM   #5

You have been given a lot of good information.

I will add a couple things I would sure recommend if you have the budget.

-16" wheels much better choices for good trailer tires.
-Spread dual axel for better tracking.
-Tie down tracks on the floor and walls.
-LED interior lights for loading at night or working inside.
-cabinet package.
-Min 7 foot inside height.
-Finally it will never be big enough so buy it longer than you think you need.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:27 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If you can I would try and get back up lights on the rear of the trailer for two reasons, one, for you to see while backing if you ever need to after dark and also to let anyone behind you know that you have to back up. Jmo.
If you plan to tow a fair amount of miles I’d have the biggest tires you can get and definitely tandem axles. As far as resale I would consider a trailer with a 7’ interior height, it opens up a large segment of potential buyers when it’s time to sell and works for most side by sides and you’ll never know the height is there behind the coach. The 7’ height also gives to a longer ramp the will decrease the door/ramp angle, the V nose or flat nose isn’t going to make any difference behind the coach but again resale might dictate a v nose.
JMO
jdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:14 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Jdw1 brings up a couple good points that I forgot to mention. I would also recommend backup lights on the trailer as well as the extra height. My first trailer did not have reverse lights and when I ordered our second trailer I added reverse lights as well as extra height to the trailer. Both were worth while upgrades.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, trailer