Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2020, 01:41 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Transfer Pump / Lift Pump ?

Hi guys!

As I recall, the motorhome used to make a loud buzzing noise when you turned the key on but did not start it. It seems to me there was an auxiliary fuel pump or something of that sort. I'm going on memory but I'm pretty sure that when I used to change the fuel filters that I used to just cycle the key to get them to fill up.

The other day I changed what I think was the primary filter. I found it located behind the condenser in the side panel. Because it was empty after changing I cycled the key. I went back and looked and it had filled up....

But I didn't notice any noise, and thinking about it, it seemed it was some time since I heard that pump noise.....

Anyway, since the filter filled up, I was not worried about it. Today, I ran the unit for a little while to get some air to fill up my motorcycle tires. After running for a few minutes....the engine died!

I tried to start it a couple of times but no dice. This has me wondering if there is a transfer pump and because I haven't heard it for a long time....is the thing even working?

Any ideas? As I said, the fuel filter did fill even though there was no pump noise. This caused me to think it was working. Now, I'm not so sure...
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #2

Cummins , ISB and ISC , use the lift/transfer pump, mounted in similar location , although with different duty cycle ( run time ).

Filter may have gravity filled if fuel tank was full.

The pump may require the starter be bumped to start running , then continue running for 25>40 secs.
ICS. The CAPS fuel injector pump has a mechanical lift pump that takes over while engine is running.
ISB. The VP-44 injection pump requires the lift pump run continually while the engine runs as the VP-44 has no mechanical section. Fuel starvation can kill the VP-44.
For more details , please add engine type to your post .

ISB. is the 5.9l ; ISC, is 8.3L
Old 08-04-2020, 02:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
When you turn the key on you should hear the lift pump run for aprox 30 seconds and then shut off automatically on a ISC. If it’s not running you need to find the fuse (at the back) that powers it. Cycle the key 4-5 times so the lift pump runs for 2+ minutes to fill the filters and get air out of the system.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:06 PM   #4

Little info on the engine would help, mine is a Cat. Ran it out of fuel in WV. ( please don’t ask) was a real bear to start. Know how mines set up but not sure what you have
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
When I first got our rig in 2008 I would change the fuel filters, put an empty one on and then cycle the key 4-5 times to fill it up. In 2014 I did this and could not get the rig started, I even put compressed air on the tank but NO GO. Finally pulled the fuel filter and prefilled it with clean fuel and I got the rig started.

Now I just go ahead and prefill the filter.

You should be able to hear the pump running if you turn the key and walk to the back of the rig, passenger side.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Cummins , ISB and ISC , use the lift/transfer pump, mounted in similar location , although with different duty cycle ( run time ).

Filter may have gravity filled if fuel tank was full.

The pump may require the starter be bumped to start running , then continue running for 25>40 secs.
ICS. The CAPS fuel injector pump has a mechanical lift pump that takes over while engine is running.
ISB. The VP-44 injection pump requires the lift pump run continually while the engine runs as the VP-44 has no mechanical section. Fuel starvation can kill the VP-44.
For more details , please add engine type to your post .

ISB. is the 5.9l ; ISC, is 8.3L
Wow - great stuff! Thank you for posting it. The engine is an ISC315
Gravity filling the filter makes sense because the tank is full. I just tried to start it again (now that it's sat for 3 or 4 hours) and it cranked for ~5 seconds (longer than normal but not excessive) and then fired right up.

In any event, as I recall, the pump made a real racket when turning the key and waiting for the glow plugs before starting. It does not do that anymore I did drive it for about 3 hours the other day (prior to changing that one filter) and I found it to be pretty gutless. I don't know if that's normal but I floored it several times and it seemed I would have to wait.......

The primary filter (if that is what it was) had been in there since early 2010.....It's now new as is the oil & filter and the cummins fuel filter (the one on the side of the engine) and also the antifreeze filter.

Is it important to fix that lift pump? (assuming it's gone)
Old 08-04-2020, 07:07 PM   #7

Believe Skip is more familiar with your engine but dirty fuel and or filters will kill any diesel quick. Sounds like you are on track for getting caught up. Any filter in service sense 2010 is cause for concern
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:09 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
That one has been replaced. I think what happened is that we were replacing the secondary filter. Either way, it seems the lift pump does not work. Does that only operate for a few seconds when the key is on or should it be repaired or?
Old 08-04-2020, 07:24 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Yes, the ISC uses a lift "priming" pump that runs about 40 seconds when the key is switched to the run, or wait to start position. Ours used to make lots of racket prior to failing. It eventually quit all together and set a check engine light fault code.
Yes, you absolutely need that lift pump to work.
Without it, serious damage can occur with fuel starvation to the injector pump. Big bucks, you don't want to go there.
We scrapped the flawed/problematic OEM lift pump and upgraded to a FASS fuel system.
Go to the irv2 Cummins engine forum and search FASS. You'll learn why you need to upgrade from the original failing lift pump. AirDog is another good choice for an upgrade also.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:34 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
The engine starting implies the lift pump is running for the normal 30 seconds... should be able to hear it before starting the engine. Once running the injection pump has a gear pump that supplies all the fuel you need, without the lift pump.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
It should run for about 30 seconds and you should be able to hear it.

Suggest you go to the Cummins quickserve site and register, use you engine SN and get the information on your lift pump.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:48 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
The engine starting implies the lift pump is running for the normal 30 seconds... should be able to hear it before starting the engine. Once running the injection pump has a gear pump that supplies all the fuel you need, without the lift pump.
FWIW ours ran ok without the lift/priming pump working.
HOWEVER....bad things can happen to the injection pump in short order with a failed lift pump. The CAPS engines really like positive fuel pressure, something the OEM setup can't provide.
In fact, in stock form, the fuel delivery system operates in a negative pressure. (Vacuum) This is why CAPS engines are very prone to plugged fuel filter issues, when in fact with only a slight fuel filter restriction you can encounter performance issues or, worse yet, leave you stranded as a pedestrian with a lunched $5,000 injection pump.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
It should run for about 30 seconds and you should be able to hear it.

Suggest you go to the Cummins quickserve site and register, use you engine SN and get the information on your lift pump.
Done. From what I can see the lift pump is a little bracket with some kind of little filter under it. I don't see anything that looks like an electric pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
FWIW ours ran ok without the lift/priming pump working.
HOWEVER....bad things can happen to the injection pump in short order with a failed lift pump. The CAPS engines really like positive fuel pressure, something the OEM setup can't provide.
In fact, in stock form, the fuel delivery system operates in a negative pressure. (Vacuum) This is why CAPS engines are very prone to plugged fuel filter issues, when in fact with only a slight fuel filter restriction you can encounter performance issues or, worse yet, leave you stranded as a pedestrian with a lunched $5,000 injection pump.
$5,000 !! Five thousand dollars !! I guess I'm going to look into that lift pump and fix it!! Thanks for the scare - it's just what I needed!
Old 08-04-2020, 08:41 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Picture from Cummins

According to the Cummins Quick Serve this is what my transfer pump should look like. I'm guessing the round part at the bottom that looks like a fuel filter is actually an electric pump?

Where would this thing be located?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fs953go.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	295922