Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #1

Transfer Switch

I have a 2009 monoco knight with an IOTA ITS-50R transfer switch in it that caught fire on me. while I was researching it I found out it has been recalled by the NHTSA for a fire hazard and said to contact my manufacturer I did and was told by REV group warranty that it was covered and to contact my local dealer I did and they needed a model number of the transfer switch that was recommended by monoco I call back Rev parts and got another person who also verified it was under warranty/recall and gave me info I needed I said great called my local dealer and got the ball rolling to have it repaired about 3 hours later I get a call from Rev group saying oops we made a mistake its not covered now I was on my first day of a long trip when this happened so trip cancelled came home bought the transfer switch they recommended and its being installed has anyone had an issue with this and or Rev group covering it I spoke with a guy who had a 2006 diplomat and they covered his with no problem thanks
ROWDYRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2018, 11:11 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Sorry for your problems. I'd carefully review your REV warranty and ask for the denial of coverage reason in writing. Many insurance companies will verbally deny a claim, many folks will just accept that and pay for the repairs themselves. Ask for a written denial and it is sometimes then mysteriously covered. Keep careful records, ask for the full name of any 'spokesperson' on the phone and document everything.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:10 PM   #3

IOTA transfer switch

I have a 2001 Diplomat and had the same problem. I had no luck with REV but contacted the manufacturer in Tuscon and had no luck so I replaced it. They no longer make a transfer switch.!!
jwessling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:36 PM   #4

There was a recall on the IOTA transfer sw , I don't know what year .
IOTA went bankrupt and Monaco honored the recall for awhile but
then Monaco went bankrupt too .
Unfortunately that left the coach owners holding the bag since the new
Monaco ( REV ) has no responsibility .
I replaced mine myself

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:15 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I was having an unrelated issues to the transfer switch, but I went ahead and changed mine out myself (thanks WideGlide). I never had a fire.

I doubt anybody will 'step up' to the warranty/recall issue this late in the game. I didn't even bother trying.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:36 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDYRICK View Post
I have a 2009 monoco knight with an IOTA ITS-50R transfer switch in it that caught fire on me. while I was researching it I found out it has been recalled by the NHTSA for a fire hazard and said to contact my manufacturer I did and was told by REV group warranty that it was covered and to contact my local dealer I did and they needed a model number of the transfer switch that was recommended by monoco I call back Rev parts and got another person who also verified it was under warranty/recall and gave me info I needed I said great called my local dealer and got the ball rolling to have it repaired about 3 hours later I get a call from Rev group saying oops we made a mistake its not covered now I was on my first day of a long trip when this happened so trip cancelled came home bought the transfer switch they recommended and its being installed has anyone had an issue with this and or Rev group covering it I spoke with a guy who had a 2006 diplomat and they covered his with no problem thanks
I have a 2007 Diplomat and this would replace the Iota ITS-50R its close to the same size of the Iota if your compartment is small.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/LYGHT...F71BB80564E9A8
Old 10-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I will check our 2002 Windsor to see if it has that brand ATS! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I believe we have an Iota transfer switch. Is there a list of which ones are defective or are they all defective from a certain manufactured time frame? Thanks.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:27 AM   #9

I have been of the idea it was all IOTA switches .
If you have one the best approach is to go ahead and replace it .
Most of us use the ESCO or LYGHT sw which I believe is actually the
same .
I think one company bought the other and continues to use both names .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:42 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same Iota transfer switch and it too caused a fire that we caught before any damage. Luckily! Extended purchased warranty at the time covered part of it. Not Monaco...… good luck.
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I know not any help. All I can say with my 15 years of RV experience, is IOTA products have shone to be junk. This includes their ATSs and chargers, probably why they are no longer in business.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:57 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I hate to be a spoiler at this Iota party. Here’s my story. Each year I go through the coach and tighten electrical wiring. After seeing this post, I went to motorhome to check the connections at the Pi surge protector and the original Iota transfer switch. I last did such in November last year. On a couple of connection I barely move the screwdriver, but did hear the click as the screwdriver moved. After 11 years they are pretty tight.

Tomorrow, I’ll have to take off the CB panel cover and test the connection there too.

I have a feeling, although I might just be the lucky one, that loose connections on the Iota led to high resistance, then heat, and finally smoke. But, I’ve been wrong before.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapseed.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	224245

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:01 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Closeup of Iota.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapseed.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	224246

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:54 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Harry raised a good point. When we got our Camelot last year, one of the first things I did was check the IOTA switch. Sure enough, I found a wire that had gotten hot and was charred. Did some 'forensic analysis' on it and concluded that it was only the one wire that was loose, causing it to heat up. Other than that, couldn't find any issues whatsoever.

Immediately yanked it out and replaced it with a Lyght unit. Not impressed the Lyght at all. The connection bar was plastic and when trying to connect the big bunch of #6 wires, they kept twisting the bar out of place. I put a piece of plexiglas over the bar in case it continued moving far enough to touch the metal case.

The slotted-head screws seemed to be of a soft metal too - it was easy to round off the slots when tightening them. I replaced them all with allen-heads.

JMHO

Tags
switch, transfer switch