RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #1

Transfer switch hum?

A new to us 05 Dynasty has a significant hum coming from the transfer switch/ surge protector. I've gone thru the cleaning process with little success so I'm anticipating replacing the unit. Since this is tied into the Aladdin unit, can I just replace the transfer switch (ESCO ES50-65N) without replacing the entire surge unit as well? I have a Progressive 50 amp surge protector I would love to use but don't want to mess up or delete the Aladdin function. Any thoughts on the next step?
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #2

I thought they all had a hum to them...mine and my previous one both hummed to where you could hear them standing right next to the coach near thier compartment. Never have yet (knock on wood) had any issues with them..
speerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:00 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by speerfamily View Post
I thought they all had a hum to them...mine and my previous one both hummed to where you could hear them standing right next to the coach near thier compartment. Never have yet (knock on wood) had any issues with them..
Mine hummed quite a bit. Blew it out with air. Not too much improvement. Tightened the wires and it made a significant improvement. Unless you use dc current to latch the AC I believe some hum is normal
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #4

Older/lower-end x-fer switches used AC current vs DC to latch the contactors--that tends to cause some hum. However, as the contactors wear/burn, the hum tends to get a bit worse. Not familiar with the functions of the Aladdin x-fer but unless it has some sort of energy mgt system, the new combination of an x-fer and the Progressive surge protector should be all you really need. Again, be sure the new x-fer switch has DC-activated contactors.
PS--it is good maintenance to check/tighten the 120v connections in your coach every couple of years. Even then, you can have issues [eg--I had one of the lug connections in the x-fer get loose and welded the set screw in place--despite my attempts to tighten it, the wire remaind loose because of the weld--wow].
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Falcon call ESCO at (800 ) 456-3726 or (574) 264-4156 Tech is Jim and ask him about the LPT 50 BRD I think this switch will be quieter and also cheaper than
ES 50 65N
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I fixed my load hum by applying about a 1/2" foam rubber backing to the mounting surface and replacing the mounting screws with a little longer ones. The vibration was being transferred to the wall and reverberating throughout the coach.
I added the progressive surge protector between the shore cord and the ESCO transfer switch. It doesn't hurt to have two and the progressive unit is better than the factory unit.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #7

better yet, just stand it off from the mounting surface so there's no coupling except thru the screws. Or use rubber vibration isolators.

Sometimes you can epoxy coat the windings and the laminations to help knock the noise down.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:06 PM   #8

Thanks for all the suggestions. Vibration may be part of the problem, so will look into that, as well as the possibility of changing out the unit, etc.

DtBt, I'm thinking of adding my Progressive unit too. Have to see if it will all fit in the bay (power cord reel and power hose reel are in the same bay). So, am I reading correctly you have the Progressive unit first, then the transfer switch, then the original surge protection unit?

Keep the info coming, if someone has changed out their transfer switch or added/changed their surge protection unit. And if anyone has experience with how new units interact with the Alladin.

Thank you.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The progressive can be installed before the transfer switch or after the transfer, if after it will protect the coach from shore power and also from your gen but if before the transfer switch it will only protect from shore power. Its generly plenty room in the bay where the transfer switch is to install the progressive.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The QD diesel generator has its own surge protection internally. A generator controller failure is much more unlikely than a bad campground shore power. The PI EMS-HW50C protects better from open neutral faults than the OEM unit is why I installed the HW50C before the transfer switch. Arguments can be made to insert it after the transfer switch as well.
I ended installing the EMS-HW50C in the compartment ceiling just forward on the transfer switch. I rerouted the cord reel cable through a new drilled hole and an added cable from Lowes routed through another new hole to the top of the transfer switch. PM me if you want a picture.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #11

Mine hums like crazy. Just thought it was normal.

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeplazek View Post
Mine hums like crazy. Just thought it was normal. joe
With power off blow it out with compressed air then tighten all terminals.
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:56 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Here is the troubleshooting file for that switch... It explains the hum and how to cure it.

Transfer Switch Trbleshooting.pdf

Hope this helps
Dave