Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2014, 04:41 AM   #1

Transmission Dip Stick

A question for all of the Monaco Knight owners out there. I have always kept a look at the oil in our transmission via the Allison shift pad but decided to check it with the dip stick the other day and got a really big surprise,no dip stick. Is there supposed to be one and ours got missed or do none of them have any ? Have you all looked ? I just found it kind of odd not to have one....Alan
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpykmpr47 View Post
A question for all of the Monaco Knight owners out there. I have always kept a look at the oil in our transmission via the Allison shift pad but decided to check it with the dip stick the other day and got a really big surprise,no dip stick. Is there supposed to be one and ours got missed or do none of them have any ? Have you all looked ? I just found it kind of odd not to have one....Alan
Not sure on your model but I have heard that some models do have a dip stick that is only accessible from the engine hatch in the bedroom. I would not worry about it as long as the shift pad method says the fluid level is ok. Detroit has been manufacturing automatic transmission for years now without dip sticks to check the transmission fluid. I have one with a six speed automatic that is seven years old now and has never given any trouble or leaked. The vehicle has 140,000 miles on it now and I just had the transmission flushed and the fluid replaced. That is scheduled for 150,000 miles but the radiator sprung a leak and I requested the transmission service when I had the radiator replaced.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #3

Monaco dip stick

I have a 2011 Monaco Knight No dipstick, Chris S
aihchris107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:22 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Most Monaco's do not have a transmission dip stick. My manual says the Allison "buttons" should be used as they are more accurate .
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #5

This is the first I've heard of the **** pad method. Do they all have this? Can someone tell me how to use the shift pad to check the fluid level?

Thank you
Boatdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #6

no dipstick on my 2004 Diplomat. Surprised me too first time I realized it. My manual tells how to check from the console. My biggest challenge is that is suggest fluid temp about 140 and my gauge typically hovers just below that.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #7

Our coach is a 2012 Knight and there is a place in the rear next to the engine dipstick for adding fluid if needed but no dipstick in it . I guess I won't loose any sleep over it as apparently Monaco just don't use them Alan
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The owners manual for the transmission says there is a short dip stick on the side of the transmission. Access would be from underneath the motorhome or thru the bedroom fIoor access panel. I go by the shift control readout. Instructions on how to access the level readings thru the shift controller are also in the manual.
cpr_vbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #9

I have a 2008 Knight and have 2 dipsticks one at the rear next to where you fill it. one on the engine accessible thru the rear hatch. I must have got lucky.
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The 'Pad' Method

Using the keypad is more accurate but the transmission has to be 'up to operating temp'.

You'll get an error message (OL70 on a 3000MH). FYI It takes a fairly long drive to get warm enough.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
My '02 Diplomat has a tranny dipstick available thru the bedroom floor hatch.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:22 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
You need to get the manual and read it to be sure you are doing it right. The trans MUST be warmed up, if you take it for a drive it must idle for a few a minutes to level trans fluid before you will get the correct code. You press the 2 arrow buttons at the same time and release them and it will start giving you codes. Press the neutral button the stop test. First time I did it I thought it was broke for sure! Then I dug out the manual and understood what I was seeing.
Good luck
John G.
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #13

Same Here

I too wondered why no tranny dip stick at rear.
However, as already noted elsewhere, there is a short dipstick accessible from the bedroom hatch on our 2006 Monaco Camelot.
Rudy
Old 01-24-2014, 05:38 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006camelot View Post
I too wondered why no tranny dip stick at rear.
However, as already noted elsewhere, there is a short dipstick accessible from the bedroom hatch on our 2006 Monaco Camelot.
Rudy
A dipstick at the rear would be about 6 feet long. Not a good plan.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission