Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2021, 08:01 PM   #1

Transmission dip stick

2005 Monaco Windsor with 400 ISL engine. Have not pulled my transmission dip stick lately, maybe 4-5k miles. Lost some coolant water so checked engine for water and then pulled transmission dip stick found it broken and missing, broken from the plastic. It must have broke from plastic and slipped down the tube. Has anyone else had this problem and how to get it out? Thanks for any help. Jim 850-380-8001
Jim McElwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2021, 08:26 PM   #2

The one in the rear is just a fill. You check it from the shift pad , warm and level.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:43 PM   #3

Jim, I never had the problem myself but if you are worried about the part that went down the tube, I think you will be ok. There are two filters in your transmission that the missing pieces will never get past. With a little luck it will fall out during your next filter change.

Bill

03 American Tradition
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
In my 2005 HR Ambassador the dip stick is in the bedroom floor hatch but I never use it I check it with the shift panel.
alounsbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:44 PM   #5

Shootist is correct, the plastic cap in the rear is just for fill. The fluid level can be checked electronically from the shift control panel, or on my 2004 Windsor manually from a dip stick located at the rear of the transmission (front of the engine). I have to remove an engine cover panel from the step in front of the closet to access the manual dip stick. I initially thought the same as you that the cap in the rear engine compartment was to measure level and my dip stick had came off. Got a borescope with a five foot arm to check it out. But alas never found what never existed
dca81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:08 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for their help. I sometimes do not give enough information. The dipstick is in the rear of the coach beside the engine dipstick on the right side of engine. I have a side radiator.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:22 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McElwee View Post
Thanks everyone for their help. I sometimes do not give enough information. The dipstick is in the rear of the coach beside the engine dipstick on the right side of engine. I have a side radiator.
Are you sure you have a dipstick there? I doubt it. Mine is only a fill tube. There is a dipstick accessed from bedroom floor but mfg recommends using transmission key pad by drivers seat.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:01 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Are you sure you have a dipstick there? I doubt it. Mine is only a fill tube. There is a dipstick accessed from bedroom floor but mfg recommends using transmission key pad by drivers seat.

My 2004 HR Imperial does not have one either although the cap looks like it could have one (rectangular slot and hole for a pin) and the Owners Manual shows that I have one.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:47 PM   #9

Dip stick

On my 2004 Monaco Windsor ISL 400 the transmission tube is for adding fluid not checking transmision fluid level. I also thought it had a dipstick on it but everyone had me thinking so I went out to the coach to see for myself and no dipstick
TGAWLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #10

Have you shined a light down the dip stick tube to see how far down the dip stick is?

May be able to reach it with small long-nose pliers or a hemostat.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:04 PM   #11

To all, the poster is correct.
Some coaches do have a dip stick for the transmission. Our 99 Discovery
has a yellow fill cap and also a long flexible steel cable xmission fluid level
checker.
In addition, the Allison 3000 has an electronic level indicator for
the transmission.
I use both but rely on the electronic level indicator as my prime
go to.
Regards,
JimB
PS: the lost dip stick should do any harm until it can be recovered.
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:26 PM   #12

Thanks all for your reply's. I now wonder if I ever pulled this dipstick and are ready to believe it was never there. Old men some times remember incorrect and I am sure old. Thanks foe each reply. I will continue to check the transmission fluid from the cockpit.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:20 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We have the same coach/engine. Our trans dipstick is accessed through an inside panel over the front facing part of the engine...looks the same as the trans fill tube only the cap has the dipstick attached and has a tag with the type of trans fluid used. Good to check that the two level sources match up.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 03:26 PM   #14

That is OK, but seal off the dip stick tube so you don't get dirt in the transmission.

Think HD baggie and zip tie.

Tags
transmission