Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2015, 07:26 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Transmission temperature gauge not functioning

What would be the first issues to look for with a transmission gauge not reading?

I'm working my way down this list of broken things. HAHA.

Just looking for places to start on this one.

~Wade
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 10:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The first thing I would check is the single wire connection at the sender. The sender should be near the transmission output shaft with a crappy connector on a knobby looking terminal at the sender. While down there clean the terminal and connector and measure the resistance of the sender. The terminal on lead may need to be replaced. Mine is about 2Kohms at room temperature and goes down at temp increases. You can short the lead to ground to see if the gauge moves. A short should peg high and an open shout be at the low end.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtBt View Post
The first thing I would check is the single wire connection at the sender. The sender should be near the transmission output shaft with a crappy connector on a knobby looking terminal at the sender. While down there clean the terminal and connector and measure the resistance of the sender. The terminal on lead may need to be replaced. Mine is about 2Kohms at room temperature and goes down at temp increases. You can short the lead to ground to see if the gauge moves. A short should peg high and an open shout be at the low end.
I'll start there. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtBt View Post
Finally got to crawl around under there. I was greasing some zerts this afternoon and I remembered this post. So I looked around to see what I could find. Lo and behold, here's a single blue wire, kind of folded up out of the way. Hmm, that looks odd. It looks like it could possibly connect *click* here...

What do you know. Functioning temp gauge for the transmission now. Woot!
Old 07-29-2015, 11:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by castrol View Post
Finally got to crawl around under there. I was greasing some zerts this afternoon and I remembered this post. So I looked around to see what I could find. Lo and behold, here's a single blue wire, kind of folded up out of the way. Hmm, that looks odd. It looks like it could possibly connect *click* here...

What do you know. Functioning temp gauge for the transmission now. Woot!
Jim? I have a dozen CNC machine tools in my shop. ALL their controls are far beyond my electronic troubleshooting ability. But over 30 years, it has amazed me how many times I've been able to find the problem by doing nothing other than looking over the circuit boards carefully. Probably a dozen times I've seen a board-level component that had VISIBLY failed, and more often than that a connection that was loose or disconnected.

For years, I've always given any failed machine the "visual inspection" before calling Fanuc. And my trans temp gage?--EXACTLY the same problem as yours. Of course, an Allison or Cummins dealer could also have quickly (?) found the problem, but it would have cost you $250.

Good job!!
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2005 Diplomat, had a concern with low oil pressure, purchased a Silver Leaf system. Oil pressure gage was off aprox 45 percent. Also Trans temp was off. Bottom line buy Silver leaf.
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:15 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on silverleaf
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission