Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2012, 05:00 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
transmisson bucking

Hi we had a few instances of bucking while driving in hilly PA. It happened mostly when the coach was in 4th gear. Dearler cannot replicate. Anyone have this experience? We have a 2012 Monaco knight.
subldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by subldo View Post
Hi we had a few instances of bucking while driving in hilly PA. It happened mostly when the coach was in 4th gear. Dearler cannot replicate. Anyone have this experience? We have a 2012 Monaco knight.
Sometimes the Allison will shift hard going up hills. I don't think it is unusual and feels worse than it actually is. Bucking could be caused by a confusing load condition to the Allison computer. It is best not to override the Allison on level ground or climbing hills. The best time to override (manually select a gear range) is going down hill to slow the coach. I do this all the time when driving in the mountains to hold the coach back without using the exhaust brake or the service brakes.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #3

Not an expert on the Allison, but wondering how to interpret "bucking". Is it shifting up and down in a constant motion? Going in and out of gear? Or are you talking about harsh shifting (up or down), a single shift with kind of a (sometimes startling) bang? In the latter case, I'm with nodine. That seems to be the nature of the beast.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #4

Question would be if it is the engine or the transmission you are feeling. One of the most common reasons fellow RVers on this forum complain about diesels stuttering or bucking when going up hills is near blocked fuel filters. If you haven't changed both your primary and secondary fuel filters in the last 10,000 miles then I would first suggest doing that. When you were in fourth gear the motor was really pulling hard and needed fuel and if the filters are blocked is going to cause problems. Sometimes this also makes the ATC (Automatic Traction Control) light come on.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by subldo View Post
We have the same coach and have experienced it also....it seems like it's just not getting enough go juice, so I just step on the pedal more; it down-shifts, and the bucking stops.
printernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #6

Your issue may be engine related?? If it only last a few seconds or if you can power your way out of it then you may need your engine computer re-flashed with the latest software update from Navistar. Check with your Maxxforce dealer. I know at the HRRVC 419 rally Navistar was offering computer updates for people who were having this issue.
ramblin10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Knight 12

RAMBLIN10 HAS HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD . PURCHASED A 2012 KNIGHT 2MONTHS AGO, HAD SAME PROBLEM DEALER DIDN'T KNOW WHAT WAS WRONG . COACH HAD OTHER ISSUES WITH WEIGHT , SO NAVISTAR WAS CALLED . WHILE TALKING TO THE FACTORY SUPERVISOR IN CHARGE OF MY WORK ORDER. HE TOLD ME THAT THEIR HAS BEEN AN UP DATE TO THE PROGRAMING ON THE ALLISON TRANSMISSION & MAXXFORCE ENGINE. SAID UP DATE SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THE BUCKING . JUST WANT TO SAY HOW GREAT MONACO NAVISTAR HAS BEEN TO WORK WITH SO FAR, AND SURE IT WILL CONTINUE . BY THE WAY IT'S NICE TO GET GOOD MILEAGE (9 to 11) OUT OF A BIG COACH.
KNIGHT12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Question would be if it is the engine or the transmission you are feeling. One of the most common reasons fellow RVers on this forum complain about diesels stuttering or bucking when going up hills is near blocked fuel filters. If you haven't changed both your primary and secondary fuel filters in the last 10,000 miles then I would first suggest doing that. When you were in fourth gear the motor was really pulling hard and needed fuel and if the filters are blocked is going to cause problems. Sometimes this also makes the ATC (Automatic Traction Control) light come on.
I agree with Mike. Had to same thing happen to me last week. Atc lite came on .Also the warning lite lit up. Replaced both fuel filters and Problem solved
Old 06-20-2012, 05:27 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks All, I had a fleetwood prior to this with an Allision and never experienced this. I was in automatic mode. I will call dealer about the update. I love the coach!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:29 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks I agree the coach is sweet!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If your in Econ mode when it happens, try and take it our of Econ mode and see what happens.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:00 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
If your in Econ mode when it happens, try and take it our of Econ mode and see what happens.
Thanks for the info I passed it to the dealer. Denis
Old 06-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Hey;
guys I hope your fuel filters got plugged up by a bad purchase at a service center???, and not poor maintenance!!!!. fuel filters need to be changed every year,now days.
KNIGHT12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #14

We had friends here last month with a Newmar Dutch Star doing the bucking thing. They thought it was the transmission but Allison couldn't find anything wrong. The Cumming engine guy came by in in 5 minutes had it diagnosed - the fuel transfer pump. (whatever that is) They put on a new one and and things are fine. Don't know if that is your problem but something to keep in mind.
AtlantaRick is offline   Reply With Quote