RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #1

Transmisson Temp Increasing

I own a 2003 Beaver, rear radiator(s), 350 ISC now with a broken (composite/nylon?) fan blade. Not sure when it happened? I recently heard a strange rattling noise while the engine was in idle operation, which sounded like a bad bearing, loose parts in the AC compressor when activating/deactivating? Only heard it twice over a couple of days, but no dash cooling problems over my last 4,000 mile trip. When investigating for loose or missing parts I then discovered the busted fan blade. I purchased a direct replacement 28” blade assembly but unsure how to replace it - short of removing the rear radiators? Where can I research for guidance in replacing the fan assembly? I normally only drive long distances out west during Jan – Mar but this year when I drove to the hot air balloon fest in ABQ my tranny temp was now running close to 200 degrees – a good 15-20 degrees above my normal winter travels. Sometimes my engine temp would raise approx. 10 degrees above the norm to about 198. Tranny normally runs about 10 degrees lower than the engine temps. Fluids at normal levels. Rear radiators thoroughly cleaned off during the trip w/o any significant reduction in operating temps. Not sure one missing fan blade would cause the additional temp increase? If I would pull off the road & let the engine idle - it would return to my normal operating temps in a relatively short time. I had also replaced the muffler assembly prior to our trip & mounted it somewhat higher & thought that might be contributing to the temp increase? I tied up the full width rear mud flap for better air circulation – again w/o any temp decrease while driving. In addition, I don’t know how or where the water pump operates in relation to the blade assembly? If I have to remove the radiators to access the fan assembly replacement would it be a good idea to replace the water pump as well? I replaced the serpentine belt a couple of years ago. Any other pro-active replacement parts to consider?
Many Thanks!
Bart from VA
03 Beaver Monterey
650 watt solar

Mantracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2016, 07:46 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Your trans temp, and engine temps are normal for this
time of year and the ambient temps you are driving in.
Relax.....

Mac99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fan can be replaced without removing radiator, fan is attached to water pump, temps are not out of line, may want to clean rear radiator/cac when you have the old fan removed.

Gordie Kaltz 04 dip
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:31 AM   #4
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Temps are normal but I would change the thermostat due to age. Check your radiator fluid with test strips.

I was able to change my fan through the inside. But your mileage may vary.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:30 PM   #5

Maybe so, but I still have to replace my cooling fan & perhaps other items since I will be removing stuff anyway. My fan blade can't be removed/replaced w/o removing the CAC - which I just completed.
Thanks!
Old 10-24-2016, 07:32 PM   #6

Gordie - I can't replace the fan w/o removing the CAC - not sufficient room inside or outside on my model. I will now have a write up & photos of my progress.
Thanks!
Old 10-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #7

I now have found the insulation above my engine is failing too! Any suggestions on replacement materials?
Old 10-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #8

Maybe, but the fan blade assembly is broken & I still have to replace that & perhaps other related items since I now have the CAC removed. Good to here the temps are w/n range but still higher than I have previously experienced in the past 9 years.
Thanks!