Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #1

Travel In Below freezing temps

We are traveling back to the Mid West from FL next week and I have concern about driving and staying overnight in below freezing temps for a couple of days. We have an Aqua Hot and it works great. Also we have the electric space heater in the water bay,but the Monaco book says not to run in those temps. I talked to one very experianced motorhomer and he said it shouldn't be a problem.
What is the experiance from folks here?
Thanks
PR
promine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #2

I'm not sure what all the AquaHot system protects. Just make sure that anything water related is either heated or winterized. Hopefully you won't hit any bad weather. Good luck and drive safe.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #3

The Aqua Hot does pump warm air in the basement. It is not winterized cause we are staying in the coach for two nights on the road while making the trip.
I know floks take their coaches on snowmobile trips...so not sure about that. Hate to burst a pipe.
PR
Old 02-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #4

Promine the Aquahot will keep you warm and also the wet bay. The engine heat, as you drive, will keep everything warm. Just remember as soon as you land at home to winter rise. We use our in the cold and never an issue. Safe travels
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #5

Thanks for that.
I have a nice warm building the coach lives in when we get home
PR
Old 02-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCam42 View Post
Promine the Aquahot will keep you warm and also the wet bay. The engine heat, as you drive, will keep everything warm. Just remember as soon as you land at home to winter rise. We use our in the cold and never an issue. Safe travels
+1 on the winter rinse when you arrive. Not sure about the engine keeping things warm as you drive though. You have to get to know your coach. If you have a water hose exposed or in an area that gets too cold, you will crack it if the temps get too cold. Also, if you don't have heaters on your gray and black tanks you will end up with poopcycles. Each coach is different so don't assume. Do your research since it's less of a headache than a repair.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #7

Ours is in the warm building now. Never winterized..
Old 02-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #8

I agree. That's why I am doing my research here. We could get into outside temps down to 10 degrees. My concern is when we stop for the night. I will leave the Auqua Hot engine heat on and furnace and let it run all night.
PR
Old 02-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #9

Good thought, and if you will be home tomorrow dump all your tanks and open fresh water low drain valve along with all the faucets. That will protect the tanks.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by promine View Post
I agree. That's why I am doing my research here. We could get into outside temps down to 10 degrees. My concern is when we stop for the night. I will leave the Auqua Hot engine heat on and furnace and let it run all night.
PR
Keep your heat on and keep everything running and warm and you and your water supply will be OK.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Here is something I found out that surprised me.

Behind my Norcold refrigerator, just behind the vent on the outside of the coach is the water valve for the icemaker. Norcold placed the valve where it will directly feel the effects of cold from the outside, and did little to insulate or protect it. They did loop a couple of turns of heat wire around the valve in a couple of places, but put a big red tag on the valve that states that you should turn off the water and drain the line and the valve below zero. They did NOTHING to insulate the valve, or the water lines to and from the stupid thing. Norcold is a terrible company.

Just a heads up to all that have icemakers and a NOCOLD refer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Just a couple of notes about Aqua hot.

Understand that your Aqua-hot will heat your basement. Mine makes the floors toasty warm enough to worry me sometimes. However, several factors can affect this....
  • If you run low on diesel or a fault occurs the aqua-hot can shut down.
  • You can, and I have on several occasions bumped the switch that shuts down the aqua-hot inadvertently.
If I had electric heat down there, I'd turn it on. It may never run, but you might be damn glad you did if your aqua-hot shuts down when it's cold and you're away from your coach.

My basement heat is from the aqua-hot so I worry about leaving the coach for any length of time in the winter. I came back from a cruise in December and my coach had run low on diesel. The aqua-hot was only running on electric and the fans were running steady inside. The temps were in the low 40s in the coach and basement, but at least it didn't freeze. It was a wakeup call.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Keep your heat on and keep everything running and warm and you and your water supply will be OK.
Good advice!! Did exactly that on our way home from FLA in December,,, not a problem!!

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel