Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Traveling in Freezing Temperatures

This will be our first winter in our current motorhome. We have put a lot of miles on our previous Converted Bus in freezing temperatures over the last 10 years with no problems' but we didn't have the Hydro Hot, a Washing Machine or Ice Maker on that rig so a simple 100 watt light bulb in the wet bay kept everything flowing even in single digit weather. Our New to Us Monaco is a little more complicated and I have a few questions/concerns.

It appears the hydro hot is working well on our current coach and keeping both the fresh water bay and the holding tank bay supplied with warm air. We have recently been in RV parks for the night when it has dipped below freezing a couple of times and the thermostats read that the Freshwater/Hydro hot bay was able to maintain over 50 degrees all night, and the holding tank bay maintained over 40 degrees. I used a laser temperature gun to check the Norcold outside vent area where the ice machine water line is located and it showed that that area is getting heat also. I think the ice maker water line is wrapped in a thermal wrap and there is some heat coming from the actual fridge operating system so it seems like it will also be protected in sub freezing temps.

We are headed to northern Nevada (Elko) and the temps will most likely be in the single digits at night. We will be plugged in at night in RV park with 50 amp service, will the aqua hot be fine as long as we have the boiler turned on and the furnace set to keep all the zones warm?

Anyone have experience with our vintage Monaco in this type weather? Will the biggest concern be when actually traveling down the highway in sub freezing weather or the really cold single digit temps during the nights while on shore power.

Any comments from your personal experience or suggestions on how to insure everything keeps flowing would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Aqua Hot should be fine when driving down the road as hot coolant from the diesel engine will circulate through the unit. The unit should be ok when at the RV campground. If plugged in you can set it to heat via electric and that will work or if really cold you can set it to diesel burner for heat inside the coach and that will also keep everything from freezing.

Safe travels.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #3

So far in our winter experience, which is just this winter, our coach has survived -10F with no problems. We place two 1500 watt electric space heaters in the wet bay when the temps are expected to get to 0.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks OB_ONE & kketterling

I think we will be fine as long as we keep the Hydro Hot on and there is an electric heater set up to come on when the wet bay gets to 40 degrees so I feel like we will be fairly safe. My last concern is the water line running to the ice maker in the outside vent area of the Norcold. It is wrapped with heat tape so it should bed fine also.

I guess the only thing left to do is head north and as it gets colder keep an eye on the thermometers and insure everything is working as expected. This is our first winter in this coach so time and experience is probably the only way to gain the confidence I need to drive in those single digit temps and I should have that in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks Again for the feed back.

Bob

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:01 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB-One View Post
So far in our winter experience, which is just this winter, our coach has survived -10F with no problems. We place two 1500 watt electric space heaters in the wet bay when the temps are expected to get to 0.
This is what we do as well (except that we only use 1 heater). Less cold and we just put a 75W bulb in a cage in the wet bay. That is warm enough to keep things frost free.

We have been in ski resorts in the motorhome in f.x. Breckenridge, CO when it was freezing cold, and the heater in the wet bay worked well.

You should obviously disconnect your water supply and run your water from your fresh water tank unless you have a heated waterline. Keep the tank fairly full. Then it will take a lot to freeze the contents. Also make sure that "the leftovers" in your sewerline doesn't turn into a solid lump of ice that will prevent you from dumping the contents.

No worries in general - just apply common sense as usual.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel