Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2017, 06:07 AM   #15

Another vote for some bag sand or concrete as weight.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2017, 06:15 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I'm in the lower air pressure and go crowd ...
at most, put some bungie cords from the outside edges to the tow vehicle hitch just to damping the side to side...

not saying the sand and concrete are bad ideas,
BUT... we like to pay what if here
a rock hits the sand bag, you sandblast everyone behind you and the bags WILL lose volume and all the bags will come off eventually
or
have you tried to move bags of concrete after it rains on them ?!?
Old 03-10-2017, 05:21 AM   #17

We get the problems. Sand and concrete are cheap. Extra contractor bag makes them harder to damage. If they leak it's not a big mess spread down the highway over miles. IF they are strapped individually they will not quickly all go away. That is why we suggested them.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:48 AM   #18

Just curious, what the adding of weight is going to accomplish ?

When you load a car on the dolly, you add mostly" sprung weight ". The cars suspension absorbs and dampen the shocks to the dolly tires and axle.

With sand, cement or bricks, you are adding only unsprung weight. The dolly tires and axles have to un-necessarily absorb the dead weigh of the load.

Wouldn't the shock of a bump, to the added unsprung weight, increases stresses to the tires and axle ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:58 AM   #19

I pulled an empty Master Tow dolly from S. Georgia to Ohio. I lowered the PSI to 14 (per the manual) and it still bounced around like a basketball. I was surprised it was in one piece when we arrived. I think a few hundred pounds of sand would help keep it from bouncing around so much.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:06 AM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My Master Tow manual says to drop the pressure to 10PSI. I drove from Tampa to Albuquerque empty with no problems. However, I have surge brakes so they will compensate for the different weights automatically. Electric brakes would need to be adjusted at the controller in the cockpit.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:31 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Lots of people pull empty utility trailers, what's the difference? Just drop the tire pressure and go. Tying the turntable down sounds like a good plan.
Have a safe trip. Just keep a close eye on it with the rear view camera.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:06 AM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Lots of people pull empty utility trailers, what's the difference? Just drop the tire pressure and go. Tying the turntable down sounds like a good plan.
My car hauler weighs almost 2,000 lbs. My tow dolly weighs a couple hundred. That's the difference.

My car hauler doesn't bounce around when it's empty.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:07 AM   #23

adding weight would just change the amount of air pressure you would want in the tires, unsprung weight as described by twinboat
wredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
My car hauler weighs almost 2,000 lbs. My tow dolly weighs a couple hundred. That's the difference.

My car hauler doesn't bounce around when it's empty.
I was talking about the little 7&8 foot utility trailers people use behind small cars, etc.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:24 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
we used to pull a tow dolly empty a lot it came with rig and first year we would fly in
rent a car then return it on the dolly did that many times
Old 03-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #26

Quote:
I was talking about the little 7&8 foot utility trailers people use behind small cars, etc.
the key design feature to look for is a leaf spring. Tow dollys have none. Most trailers have them.
wredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #27

Just my thoughts, but the small trailers bounce some too, at least mine does.

I've only towed our dolly for 3 or 4 hundred miles empty and when that happened I was going to pick up a car and didn't know if air would be available when I got there. I towed it with full air pressure and watched to see how it behaved which was, IMHO, to a large degree dependent on the road surface. When the road surface was rough I slowed down. I also slowed down on curves because when it started bouncing there it could actually get into the other lane.

I would think that using a combination of the many good ideas posted here ( my thanks because I've learned too) along with judicious driving the trip should go well. Just keep an eye on the thing.

If you use the sandbag idea please be sure to tie them down securely. I remember hitting a bag of cement one time in full traffic going around Seattle with the TC towing a 23' cabin boat. It was full pucker time, but we survived without incident. It could have been much worse.

Best of luck.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
Just my thoughts, but the small trailers bounce some too, at least mine does.

I've only towed our dolly for 3 or 4 hundred miles empty and when that happened I was going to pick up a car and didn't know if air would be available when I got there. I towed it with full air pressure and watched to see how it behaved which was, IMHO, to a large degree dependent on the road surface. When the road surface was rough I slowed down. I also slowed down on curves because when it started bouncing there it could actually get into the other lane.

I would think that using a combination of the many good ideas posted here ( my thanks because I've learned too) along with judicious driving the trip should go well. Just keep an eye on the thing.

If you use the sandbag idea please be sure to tie them down securely. I remember hitting a bag of cement one time in full traffic going around Seattle with the TC towing a 23' cabin boat. It was full pucker time, but we survived without incident. It could have been much worse.

Best of luck.

Steve
The key here is that the owners manual for the small utility trailers don't tell you not to tow it very far empty. Most tow dolly owners manual have that caution. My Master Tow manual says towing it empty will cause stress cracks in the dolly.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly, travel