Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Trip to Alaska with no toad

We are planning a trip from mn. to Alaska spring 2015, we do not have a toad and are wondering if any of you did the same? Did you regret or were you happy? Are rental cars available in most places? WE travel in 34' diesel pusher.
Thanks
Wrinkles
wrinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #2

Unless you intend to sit in one place for days and days, there is little need for a toad in most places you will end up in. All attractions handle large tour buses by the dozens so it is rarely a disadvantage to just have the motorhome.
Long way to drag a vehicle with a high risk of damage for little benefit.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #3

Get a TOAD. We did the no TOAD our first year and not nearly as much fun and flexibility. Did the rental car, but a hassle and may not always be able rent. Just my opinion, but we won't RV without ever again. That said we have not RVd in Alaska
Cspringsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #4

I'm with Tony, we did it in 2010 without the toad. The longest we stayed in one location was 3 days. Absolutely no problems, camped within easy walking distance from the places we wanted to see. At Denali camped by the entrance and took the tour bus thru the park.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
As Tony said many attractions have parking. You will see a lot of Class C rental units where people have flown up and rented the Coach. Most have never driven a RV in their life but they seem to survive. Will you miss somethings and will it be a pain for shopping, etc: yes. Can it be done absolutely. That said, for my Toad, I never leave home without it.
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We went in 2009 and did not take a toad. The trip was great but I think having a toad would provide flexibility and to a certain extent a safety plus.

While we were driving north on the ALCAN in the Yukon we came upon a smaller Class A with a front flat tire. There were 3 elderly people, a married couple and one of their mothers. They did not have jacks on the RV and no way to lift the RV. They were pulling a toad. I advised the elderly gentleman that the wisest thing to do was take the toad off the dolly and drive it back to the nearest town ~75 miles north if I recall.

Also, some things we couldn't drive to in the RV due to roads etc. I really wanted to see the old Kennecott Mine in the Wrangalle St Ellias National Park but they didn't advice driving the RV on the access road.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have not traveled to Alaska. However, I can offer this.

When we started traveling in our motor coach in 2008, we thought that we didn't want to bother towing a vehicle. If we wanted a vehicle, we could rent something. Well, that didn't work very well. Too often, where we could park the coach was a long, long way from anywhere to try to rent a vehicle. Too often, when we arrived at our destination, counting on renting a vehicle when we got there, we found that there were no vehicles to rent.

Finally, we gave up. Bought a toad, and have never looked back. One time in particular, we were very grateful to have the toad when mechanical problems put our coach on the side of the road. We were able to jump in our toad, drive for repairs, return to our coach to make the repairs and keep on going down the road.

I have not been able to determine any real decrease in fuel mileage or power because we are towing the vehicle. I also can't tell the toad is behind us, until I look at the rear monitor and see it there.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #8

We are in Alaska now and would not consider this trip without one. There are so many remote areas with no chance of help if you broke down. At least with a toad you can go get your own help. Also many of the roads you take to explore are not as good as the main roads, I would much rather take my toad to explore than use the coach. Also I would not want to have to be able to close up and move if I wanted to go grocery shopping, drive the Hatcher Pass, pop into Denali to do a hike, run out to Chena Hot Springs, run up to the Arctic Circle, drive 60 miles of dirt to see McCarthy and Kennicott, drive out the East End road in Homer, explore the Denali Highway(all dirt), etc. I could go on, but you see my point. JMHO
Bill767 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Rental cars are not readily available in Alaska except in larger towns such as Anchorage or Fairbanks. A toad has advantages and disadvantages as noted above. Lots of roads in Alaska are not RV friendly. A toad would allow you to camp in one spot and do day trips from there with your toad. I think you would find a toad to be a nice amenity once you get to Alaska.
Will in AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Alska trip will be expensive so don't try and cut corners by missing primarily why you are there so by all means take a "Toad". I might also suggest one that has a little free board as some of the greatness of Alaska is off road.

Don G
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:35 PM   #11

We just returned from Alaska, BC, Alberta, Yukon, 3 months and 9000 miles, a wonderful trip we had a toad, and would have missed a lot without it, it is so much better to park the rig and do your traveling in a small vehicle, there is gravel up there in places, if you tow add some sort of front shield to the toad, and cover the windshield
RonD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:11 AM   #12

Carolina Campers
The toad only gives you an alternative travel option, a secondary vehicle for security in the event your RV has something go wrong, the easiest way to go see the sights, go out to eat, go to the store, or go anywhere without packing up everything and unhooking every time you want to go anywhere away from your base camp.... No, a toad is not useful for those that never go away from camp...

But that is not my way of camping. I set up camp and then scout out from there. That is were I have some of my best adventures and truly learn the locations attractions.

My toad is always with me.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We just returned from Alaska and we towed a vehicle and would not have seen a lot of things without it. Even parts of the main road are not for the faint of heart and side excursions in a larger class a are out of the question, so unless you are content to see just you campsite you should maybe consider the toad.
Yellowpointe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:43 PM   #14

Have gone RV rental there 2 times You miss things without toad. If thinking about renting a car go on line and price $$$. Reason so many RV rentals in Alaska is cost of rental cars and availability. Also Motels high. Last time had friend that lived there and followed in there car. If don't want to tow Cabs in most towns and are reasonable. David
55stude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad