Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #1

Trombetta wiring

I just replaced my trombetta to the 020 trombetta with the silver contacts. My old charging relay was actually a white Rogers model and not a trombetta. My house batteries are on the left side of my battery compartment and the right side is my chassis battery. On my white Rogers the left post was connected to my house batteries and the right post to the chassis batteries. The new trombetta wiring diagram seems to be the opposite if I'm reading it correctly. The left post shows it going to a picture that says battery. It also has a diagram of it being fused which my previous connection wasn't. The right post shows a diagram that says load. If I'm interpreting this correctly, the left post connects to the house battery and the right post to the chassis batteries. Please let me know if this is the way it should be. I can upload the existing wiring to the white Rogers as well as the wiring diagram that came with the trombetta.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2013, 04:30 AM   #2

Sure, upload it!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crah View Post
I just replaced my trombetta to the 020 trombetta with the silver contacts. My old charging relay was actually a white Rogers model and not a trombetta. My house batteries are on the left side of my battery compartment and the right side is my chassis battery. On my white Rogers the left post was connected to my house batteries and the right post to the chassis batteries. The new trombetta wiring diagram seems to be the opposite if I'm reading it correctly. The left post shows it going to a picture that says battery. It also has a diagram of it being fused which my previous connection wasn't. The right post shows a diagram that says load. If I'm interpreting this correctly, the left post connects to the house battery and the right post to the chassis batteries. Please let me know if this is the way it should be. I can upload the existing wiring to the white Rogers as well as the wiring diagram that came with the trombetta.
Assuming you are talking about a relay/solenoid that looks something like this, the 2 posts at the top (copper colored) are for battery connection. You can connect either chassis or coach to either post. In other words, it doesn't matter. The 2 posts are isolated and then, when the relay is picked, they are connected together ... the relay is just a switch.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I also replaced my white Rogers.

Bruce is correct. The contacts don't care which set of batteries is connected to what post.
Should be the same with the coil wires.
One coil wire goes to ground and the other goes to 12v.
It will work fine.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
YC1

Yep, it does not matter. It is just a dumb switch or valve. Water can flow either direction. In this case, electrons.

My house batteries are on the left, engine on the right. Purple wire on the little left one and ?? white/black?? on the other. Can't member.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #6

Thanks for the feedback everyone. How does it control when the solenoid closes once the chassis batteries are charged and starts charging the house batteries when on the alternator?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The coil is controlled by a BIRD or an IRD.

What is the wire connected to the coil go to?
One wire on the coil goes to ground. The other side of the coil has a wire. What does that connect to? It should be a black box.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #8

I have and IRD and not a BIRD. I have 4 total posts on the coil. Two larger ones and two smaller ones. The larger ones are hooked up to the house batteries on one side and the chassis batteries on the other. The small posts has 2 small wires going to each post. Looks like 1 wire on one post goes to a small black Intelitec box, and the other post has the same thing to the black box. I'm guessing power and ground. And then there is a purple wire going from a wire loom that goes to one of the posts, and a white wire from a loom that goes to the other post. I'm guessing the purple is goes to the boost switch and the other one is the ground?

Now it all makes sense.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I'm going by memory.

The IRD has three wires. Red,black and blue
The blue wire goes to your positive on your chassis battery. Black goes to ground on the coil or directly to battery ground and red goes to the non grounded small screw on the coil on the relay with the purple wire.
The purple is your boost start button as stated.
The IRD only charges your house batteries while the motor is running. When the blue wire on the IRD senses 13.3 volts for 2 minutes it energizes the relay and connects the house batteries to the chassis batteries. Charging them all while driving. If your chassis batteries get a huge load and the voltage drops below 13.2 volts it turns off the relay.
So if you want to see if its working, check your house and chassis battery voltage when the motor is off. Then start the motor. Only the chassis batteries should bd charging the first 2 minutes. Then the IRD should power the relay and the voltage on the house batteries voltage will increase to the chassis voltage.
The IRD does not function when your motor is off and you are plugged into shore power. The inverter in this configuration only charges your house batteries.
I hope this helps
Rick
Old 04-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Btw. The white wire on the coil that goes to the wiring harness should be ground for the coil. You can take a meter and confirm that.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I checked mine out. I was wrong. The blue wire goes to the wire that connects to the ignition switch. So when you start the motor. The IRD waits 2 minutes and closes the relay to charge all the batteries.
My memory isn't as good as it use to be.

I also installed a echo charger which charges my chassis batteries when I'm on shore power.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #12

I installed a trik L start instead of the echo charger. I contemplated on the echo charger but the price on the trik l start got me.

I believe I have everything wires up correct now. Now onto trying to solve other problems. My remote display RC7 GS will start flashing periodically when plugged into shore power or generator. The display will be dead and then every 10 minutes or so come alive and light up and show the charging status. Keeps repeating this which doesn't seem normal. Also I I disconnect power for about 20 minutes or so with a very light dc load, and then plug back into shore power, the display panel will flash and start trying to charge in absorption mode at 14+ volts instead of charging at float. I know in the 20 minutes there was barely a load and it should have got back into float charge. The display will say 87% or so battery charge left. This all seems very strange to me.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:37 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Have you checked your batteries? How old are they?
May I suggest you disconnect your trik L . Sounds like it may be shutting on and off, trying to charge your chassis batteries. That might take you out of float mode.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
YC1

Gorlininc, the three wire board you have IRD was directly replaced by a BIRD from Megatech. The red wire actually passes through a small relay on my circuit so it prevents the generator from charging the house batteries when the ignition is on. Mine just failed and that is how I found out about the generator cut off function. In any case, here is what I just ordered to replace it. It will go in the battery compartment and charge either way without the generator cutout and will not draw the heavy current the trombetta uses. The trombetta is still working as an emergency start device.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bird device I ordered to replace our bad one.pdf (750.0 KB, 135 views)

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote