Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2021, 06:20 PM   #1

TRW Steering Box

Hello to all the fine people on this forum. We had the TRW steering box on our Dynasty rebuilt last Spring. Seems to still have a bunch of play. On one of my previous threads, Bob Nodine was kind enough to explain the procedure for taking the play out of the TRW box. He indicated the importance of making certain the marks are aligned on the steering box with the tires pointing straight ahead. We are going to be headed to Niagara Falls in a couple of weeks and I would like to tackle the issue of the the steering play. So, hope my question doesn't sound stupid, but how does one ascertain the wheels are pointed perfectly straight ahead? Once the wheels are pointed in the right direction, I can adjust the drag link to get the marks aligned. Then adjust the play. Then adjust the steering wheel without moving anything. I'm assuming this will work. Any advice or help is appreciated. God Bless, Ed
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2021, 06:45 PM   #2

Center the steering box , set the lash. The wheels have nothing to do with the lash adjustment. It's tightest in its exact center of travel so that is where you set it. Never pull a steering wheel off to center the wheel. If it's off now and wasn't before something bent, a sector shaft, steering arm, something. With the steering wheel centered you can proceed with your alignment. Get the toe set. Then adjust each tie rod end equally to bring the wheel to center as you test drive it straight. If your drag link is adjustable use it.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:12 PM   #3

I don't know if the TRW steering gear box is designed the same as your good ol' Saginaw, but if it is, there are two adjustments. Before adjusting the sector shaft, you have to adjust the end play out of the input shaft. Once you have that dialed in, then adjust the sector shaft. The Saginaw has a 30 degree tight band in the center. (15 degrees either side) Once installed, it is important to make sure the wheels are centered around this tight band, so you have more precise steering on the freeway.

I would also suggest that it is impossible to make these adjustments with the box installed. There is no way to feel the slop. With the box on the bench, you can see the slop. I found the best way was to put a set of vise grips lightly clamped on the input shaft. This made it easy to turn it back and forth, so I could feel the tension in the box.

It is not uncommon for a rebuilt steering gearbox to not be setup properly.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:08 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notn2bars View Post
Hello to all the fine people on this forum. We had the TRW steering box on our Dynasty rebuilt last Spring. Seems to still have a bunch of play. On one of my previous threads, Bob Nodine was kind enough to explain the procedure for taking the play out of the TRW box. He indicated the importance of making certain the marks are aligned on the steering box with the tires pointing straight ahead. We are going to be headed to Niagara Falls in a couple of weeks and I would like to tackle the issue of the the steering play. So, hope my question doesn't sound stupid, but how does one ascertain the wheels are pointed perfectly straight ahead? Once the wheels are pointed in the right direction, I can adjust the drag link to get the marks aligned. Then adjust the play. Then adjust the steering wheel without moving anything. I'm assuming this will work. Any advice or help is appreciated. God Bless, Ed
Since you had the box rebuilt I would first drive the coach and note the position of the steering wheel went the coach is going straight down the road. That is where you want the wheels set when you have the coach parked. Next, and this is important, with the wheels in the position that takes the coach straight down the road use a mirror, or cellphone photo, or what ever it takes to check if the marks are aligned. If they are then you may need to adjust the steering box. If they are not aligned then don't adjust the box but adjust the tie rod end until the marks are aligned without moving the front tires. The TRW has a high spot and that is where you want the gears meshed when you are traveling straight down the road. When you turn the wheel left or right you move off the high spot but you don't feel the play because you are applying force in the turn. If the marks are aligned and the wheels are pointing straight and you have play then the box needs adjusting or has an internal failure. Make sure you move the screw adjust no more than is needed to mesh the gears firm. Any more and the gears will bind when you move over the high spot.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:47 AM   #5

A big "thank you" to all of you for the input and taking the time to reply. Unfortunately it is raining today, so not a good day to do as some of you suggested. I will do as Bob suggested tomorrow or the next day. The storm in the gulf should be past us by then. God bless all of you! Ed
Old 09-16-2021, 05:23 PM   #6

Finally was able to spend time on the steering box issue. Took MH on a drive and while going straight down the road, DW placed tape on the steering wheel to show position when wheels are straight. See Pic. Then crawled under the coach and took a picture of the alignment of the marks. Looks to be off. Would it be better to line up using drag link or would it be easier to work with tie rod ends? Thanks in advance for your help. God Bless, Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	343295   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-1.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	343296  

Old 09-16-2021, 08:58 PM   #7

I would use the drag link, it won't affect the alignment.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:24 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
I would use the drag link, it won't affect the alignment.
Absolutely the drag link and tie rod end that attaches to the Pitman Arm. It can be a beast doing this because the tapered shaft of the tie rod end will be tight in the Pitman arm and the threads where the tie rod end connects to the draglink can be rusty and difficult to turn. After getting the link loose from the Pitman arm I placed a jack stand under the draglink and used a large pipe wrench to break the threads loose. I had soaked them for days but they still would not budge so resorted to the aforementioned method.

Your photo does not look like what I remember as the alignment marks. In the TRW Swap thread there is a photo of what the marks look like. You may have to extend the generator and look in from the front.

Go to post 1768 here:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/ste...10152-127.html

Bob
Old 09-17-2021, 05:38 PM   #9

Thanks Bob, looked at the photo in the link you provided and the marks are the same. The mark on the shaft goes all the way across and the short mark is on the box itself. After sliding the generator out I was able to get a good photo of the marks at level. They look to be aligned perfectly. See first pic. The adjustment is tight with the marks aligned. However there is still play in the steering. Here are a couple pics to show the play. Pics 2 and 3. The play measures 2.5 inches. The u joints in the steering column are tight. Can't find anything loose in the drag link, pitman arm, or tie rod ends. Had the front end checked at a semi shop and everything checked out tight. In addition they did a front end alignment. Any suggestions for a new or rebuilt box? God Bless, Ed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	343395   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-1.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	343396  

Name:	thumbnail-2.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	343397  
Old 09-18-2021, 04:26 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notn2bars View Post
Thanks Bob, looked at the photo in the link you provided and the marks are the same. The mark on the shaft goes all the way across and the short mark is on the box itself. After sliding the generator out I was able to get a good photo of the marks at level. They look to be aligned perfectly. See first pic. The adjustment is tight with the marks aligned. However there is still play in the steering. Here are a couple pics to show the play. Pics 2 and 3. The play measures 2.5 inches. The u joints in the steering column are tight. Can't find anything loose in the drag link, pitman arm, or tie rod ends. Had the front end checked at a semi shop and everything checked out tight. In addition they did a front end alignment. Any suggestions for a new or rebuilt box? God Bless, Ed
There have been cases of bad TRW boxes. I would question the TRW and you may want to pull it and have it checked out by someone other than who rebuilt it.

Bob
Old 09-18-2021, 08:22 AM   #11

Bob, we appreciate your input. Unfortunately I have been unable to find anyone in far south Texas who works on steering boxes. We leave in 9 days for Niagara Falls and will not have enough time to pull the box and send it off to have it checked, then reinstall it. If there is anyone in South Texas who knows of a reputable shop to work on TRW steering boxes, please let me know. God Bless, Ed
Old 09-18-2021, 06:46 PM   #12

Did you check the input shaft for slop? As the shaft loads up, it will move up and down. Tighten the shaft the same way you would tighten front wheel bearings in your old car. You have to have the box out of the coach to feel it. Tighten the end play until you feel drag. Then back it of. Play with it, so you are right at the point of drag.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:42 PM   #13

Daveinet, thank you for your input. I have followed the video put out by TRW for the adjustment of the sector shaft. Evidently, neither of the previous owners of our coach made any attempts to make adjustments to the sector shaft on the TRW. When we drove it home there was at least 4 to 6 inches of play. It was a bear and I was completely worn out. It is my feeling that the gears inside the the box are worn thus the play in the steering wheel. There doesn't appear to be any other adjustment on these steering boxes in addition to the sector shaft adjustment. What type of steering box are you referring to in regards to adjusting the end play? God Bless, Ed
Old 09-20-2021, 06:52 AM   #14

I don't have a specific drawing of a TRW box. Maybe with a part number we could find one. But for the drawings that I have been able to find, there is either a preload shim, a pin on the bottom side, or a thrust washer with two locking nuts. No matter what type of box it is, it will need to have some sort of method to adjust the end play of the input shaft. The castings, bearings gears and internal components are just not going to be all that dimensional precise. The box will have some method of setting a preload on the input shaft. Otherwise the shaft will move up and down and the will be slop.

Tags
steering