RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 03:49 PM   #1

TV Cabinet Upgrades

I know this topic must have been covered ad nauseum but after trying to read through all the mods I have not found what I'm looking for. We have an 04 Monaco LaPalma 37PCD. One of the previous owners did upgrade the front tv to a flat screen model but left it mounted in the original HUGE cabinet that hangs down and manages to find my head at least once a week. What I'm wanting to find out, and hopefully from someone who has a similar coach, is this, What have any of you folks done to minimize that cabinet and still mount the tv.? I've seen a few pics of others mods but nothing that directly relates to our coach. I'd sure appreciate any ideas and pics. If you have links that I can follow, that would be great. So far, most of the links that I have tried to follow are no longer valid. What I'm hoping for really is someone who has cut the overhead cabinet down in such a way that a tv could be mounted flat on its back and then pulled down and out for viewing. That way, it would be totally out of the way when driving and the cabinet would no longer leave bumps in my head. Thanks to any/everybody who can help. This is such a great group. I love you all.
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 08:04 PM   #2

I just got finished eliminating that ugly head thumper on our newly purchased 2003 Dynasty. I'm not an accomplished wood worker but an aircraft metal worker. Ours still had the monster TV in it and I had NO Idea how heavy it was until it came flying out in my arms. It put my skills and cave man tool to the test, But I did pretty good this time. I'm in the process of putting a pair of Smoked Glass Doors in it now. Theirs not a lot of depth to the space available though due to two heater hoses, electrical outlet and a bunch of cables and ect. Theirs also a cooling fan hole thru to the right hand cabinet (small box fan mounted to the right hand cabinet wall). We plan to install a TV cabinet w/Fireplace, heater along the right hand wall (in the picture). I'm putting our 55" flat screen on a motorized lift unit behind the cabinet and box it in. That way we can sit on the couch and actually watch TV without bending sideways. Biggest problem is the indent in the ceiling from the old instillation and the screw holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1555.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	302721   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1559.jpg
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	302722  

Name:	SAM_1558.jpg
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	302723   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1554.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	302724  

Old 09-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Looks good. The ceiling will always have the indent from the old cabinet. I can think of a few creative ways to cover it if it bothers you too much.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:37 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the...ne-136185.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpony56hd View Post
I just got finished eliminating that ugly head thumper on our newly purchased 2003 Dynasty. I'm not an accomplished wood worker but an aircraft metal worker. Ours still had the monster TV in it and I had NO Idea how heavy it was until it came flying out in my arms. It put my skills and cave man tool to the test, But I did pretty good this time. I'm in the process of putting a pair of Smoked Glass Doors in it now. Theirs not a lot of depth to the space available though due to two heater hoses, electrical outlet and a bunch of cables and ect. Theirs also a cooling fan hole thru to the right hand cabinet (small box fan mounted to the right hand cabinet wall). We plan to install a TV cabinet w/Fireplace, heater along the right hand wall (in the picture). I'm putting our 55" flat screen on a motorized lift unit behind the cabinet and box it in. That way we can sit on the couch and actually watch TV without bending sideways. Biggest problem is the indent in the ceiling from the old instillation and the screw holes.
Very nice job. I'm somewhat of a woodworker but staining is not my forte. You did a masterful job of matching the color and wood. I can only hope that when I do ours that it comes out as nice.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Thanks for that link. I went and surveyed what you did and I like it. But, I have a question. Do you have a couch on both sides of your rig? If I was to put the tv behind our couch, we'd have no place to sit. Unless we sat in the driver's/passenger seats that is. I'm thinking of doing what you did but on the opposite side next to the entry door. I won't be able to put a big tv like yours in but I should be able to squeeze in a 40" or so. I'm going to build the whole thing into a shallow box against the wall so that we still have room for a chair in front of it to be used when not watching tv. The cost of the lifts has come down tremendously since you did yours. I found a very nice unit yesterday for under $200. I was also wondering who you used for your cabinet work? I'm going to attempt to do it myself but I have trouble with staining and finishing so I thought maybe I'd job that out.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #7

My 5er was designed for the old and heavy picture tube tv vs the flat screen tv. So, like you, a huge waste of much needed space. I mounted the new LED tv to a sheet of 3/4 walnut plywood stained and finished to match the cabinet with a TV wall mount, mounted with a continuous piano hinge to the face frame of the original tv cabinet providing me a 36 wide and 30 inch deep storage space for canned goods behind the living room tv. Later, I built deep shelves with a spring loaded stainless curtain rods jammed between cabinet sides, to hold everything in place. A simple gate lock available at any hardware store provides the swinging plywood a firm stay in place lock, while on the road. I did the same in the bedroom TV cabinet and it stores infrequently used garments like rain jackets, boots, and umbrellas.
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:57 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltoolguy View Post
Thanks for that link. I went and surveyed what you did and I like it. But, I have a question. Do you have a couch on both sides of your rig? If I was to put the tv behind our couch, we'd have no place to sit. Unless we sat in the driver's/passenger seats that is. I'm thinking of doing what you did but on the opposite side next to the entry door. I won't be able to put a big tv like yours in but I should be able to squeeze in a 40" or so. I'm going to build the whole thing into a shallow box against the wall so that we still have room for a chair in front of it to be used when not watching tv. The cost of the lifts has come down tremendously since you did yours. I found a very nice unit yesterday for under $200. I was also wondering who you used for your cabinet work? I'm going to attempt to do it myself but I have trouble with staining and finishing so I thought maybe I'd job that out.
We have the couch on one side and a loveseat/recliner combo directly across on the other side! Our TV is just a 43". We had a local cabinet shop do the work on the overhead cabinets.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:40 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
What we did when replacing the over dash 'square' dinosaur with a smart led:

was measure twenty times and cut once

The square cabinet on ours did not taper so it basically had a bottom the same size as all the way to the top. Once the bottom was removed, it allowed us to trim up the sides and put the bottom back on such that the cut was only on the bottom of the top piece. Once the bottom was put back on, the stain and all matched up... good luck

But my favorite mod was the midship tv's change from a fixed 40" lcd, to a pivoting arm on a 50" 4K LED ! Never liked the midship facing forward design, so put a long folding arm behind the much lighter led and that way it can swing out to the middle of the aisle allowing both couch seats to have a better view...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MidNewTV.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	302863   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0333.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	302864  

Old 09-30-2020, 03:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
What we did when replacing the over dash 'square' dinosaur with a smart led:

was measure twenty times and cut once

The square cabinet on ours did not taper so it basically had a bottom the same size as all the way to the top. Once the bottom was removed, it allowed us to trim up the sides and put the bottom back on such that the cut was only on the bottom of the top piece. Once the bottom was put back on, the stain and all matched up... good luck

But my favorite mod was the midship tv's change from a fixed 40" lcd, to a pivoting arm on a 50" 4K LED ! Never liked the midship facing forward design, so put a long folding arm behind the much lighter led and that way it can swing out to the middle of the aisle allowing both couch seats to have a better view...
Very nice job and well thought out. I will give that some thought. I still think our best bet would be straight across from where the couch is now but 2 Lazy-Boy chairs will be eventually. I will build it into a shallow cabinet with a rising mechanism. They are so cheap now I can't pass it up.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:07 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We really wanted the televator and all, but we use both couches all the time, so didn’t want to lose the seating....
Old 09-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
We really wanted the televator and all, but we use both couches all the time, so didnít want to lose the seating....
I'd love to have 2 couches. But sadly, ours is only 37 feet long. I'm lucky to be able to squeeze in a 42" tv across from our only couch. The chair that is there now will go away. I'll find something to put there that is lightweight and moveable.

Tags
upgrade