Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2018, 08:57 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
TV cables

Checking out the TV system in our new to us 2000 Dynasty Duke 38'.
I see the cables have number tags.
There are about 5 in the overhead compartment, but no VCR.
Can't seem to access the back of the switch box. If I hook cable to the connector in the wet bay, it comes thru to the TV when cable is selected. Going to replace antenna on roof, hope to use same cable from old one.
Anyone know what those cable numbers are?
Are they factory numbered? It also has a booster for the antenna, might have to remove that too. Any trick to getting to the inside of the overhead compartment?
DjDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #2

cables

with 5 cables coming into your cabinet, one is for park cable and the other is roof antenna. If you have satellite one would be for that. The remaining 2 cables could be the output cables going to 2 different tv's.
mmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #3

If you still have the original TV with the glass CRT picture tube you will need to
use a converter to pick up the new digital stations .
Some cable systems are still analog so an old tv may work .
Most of us changed to newer flat screen digital TVs and no longer us the box with
many buttons .
The newer TVs have multiple inputs and you can select them with the remote .
My switch box was held in place with Velcro and it was really stuck good , I almost
gave up , didn't know what was holding it
Before replacing antenna and booster I would try to get what is there working
Then see what needs replacing .
I think the cable numbers are probably factory and should have a corresponding
number at the other end .
These older systems are a mess trying to modernize .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The cables you have are probably the older RG58 coax and most of the new systems uses RG6, but the RG58 will function as long as the run is short and they are in good condition. Many times the roof cable deteriorates so you have to pull a new cable through.

Tracing cables in these coaches is easy with the right tool. Your coach probably came with a VCR so you should have one cable that went to the VCR, one to the TV, one to the wet bay, one to the roof antenna which is routed through the booster, and possibly a cable to a roof mounted satellite dish.

I use an inexpensive Coax tester to trace the cables:
https://www.amazon.com/Locations-Exp...s=cable+tracer

This coax tester is also avalable at Home Depot. It comes with 4 different color coded cable ends. You install one of these on the end of each cable: roof antenna cable, wet bay, TV, and what ever else you have. Then you connect the tester one by one to each cable inside your video cabinet and it tells you which color end it is connected to. Make notes and label each cable you test.

What roof antenna are you planning on using?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:50 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
https://photos.app.goo.gl/q9gmPm3A3pTBLyj46

This Wingard RS 3505 was new in the box, in the closet.
I figured I will put it on in place of the original that is secured with a bungee cord.
Hoping to access the connection through the speaker in the ceiling that seems to be right under it.
I connected to the cable TV via the connection in the wet bay at a campground last week, got signal with the selector set to aux, nothing when set to antenna at another campground.
Need to get into the overhead to see where all these extra cables are coming from.
Maybe drop the bottom panel?
Old 10-23-2018, 07:56 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
While on the roof resetting the dip switches on the A/C's, I see it had a satellite at one time, the wires are still up there. This only accounts for one of the extra coax cables, plus the multi connection cable.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:49 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Watching with curiosity, as I'm still (a year later) finding things that were done to our coach by a PO.

It's like opening presents at Christmas when you come across something unexpected.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone gotten access to the video switch box in a 2000 Dynasty?
I dropped the panel that goes from the back of the overhead compartment to the windshield, not much access yet. Get a good signal to the front TV from the cable connection in the wet bay, not so good on new bedroom Tv.
I did find a couple unused cables coiled up behind the compartment, looks like factory spares for something this coach doesn't have.
There are about 4-5 extra cables in the compartment, might take the ohm meter to the new discoveries to see if it is one of them. May need to replace the switch box, but can it be removed without dropping the whole front cabinets? I would like to test the cable to the bedroom with the tracker mentioned by Vito, but need access to the end at the box.

Tags
cable