Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
TV Lift

Just a quick question for those of you that have converted your main TV in your motorhome to a lift TV. On our 05 Dynasty we would like to take the desk out of the front slide (driver side), and replace it the a hide-a-bed/chesterfield hopefully equipped with a TV on a lift behind it.
Question is.....For an approximate 42" TV on an electric lift, how much space is required (thickness wise)? or How far away from the wall will the furniture have to be?
Another Question.....what would be the best TV lift mechanism for the application (slim and robust enough for an RV)??
Thanks in advance for your suggestions
LSBEH 😎
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Harvey

I sent you a PM with my number. I completed this project but I would be too much to explain to post here. If anyone else would like to know the details of my installation feel free to PM me. I will say that it is a big project to do correctly. For me I wanted it look like it came from the factory and I think I was successful.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You managed to install one behind a hide-a-bed?

About how far forward did you have to move the bed?
Old 11-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Yes I did. I would have to go measure to be sure but I think I needed about 6 inches. Put mine on the curbside and then installed theater seating on the road side. Had to build a frame and used refrigerator rollers to support the front of the sofaClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2208.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	560.6 KB
ID:	225816Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2241.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	524.0 KB
ID:	225817Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2242.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	460.5 KB
ID:	225818
Old 11-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #5

TV Lift

We put a 55” Samsung 4K on a lift behind he love seat
[ATTACH]225824
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0481.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	225824  
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
There are members who have built incredibly nice cabinets incorporating tv lifts. For just the tv and lift you'll need about 6" from wall minimum. Mor-Ryde makes a nice 12v lift that will handle a sizable tv. If your windows have solid valances you'll need to keep that in mind for clearances. Good luck with the project.
Sneelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Just ordered this from Amazon today for the same project.

(Touchstone 23101 - SlimLift Pro TV Lift Mechanism - 25 Inch Travel 4.5 in Thick - Popup & Drop Down - Height Memory Feature, IR/RF, 12V Trigger Compatible - TVs Up to 48 Inch/80 Lbs
by Touchstone) https://www.touchstonehomeproducts.c...ift-mechanisms

It is not available now from Amazon but you can get it direct from Touchstone Home Products. I also ordered directly from Touchstone the top shelf I plan to use in this retrofit project. Ordered the new Lambright recliner I need to match my existing recliner.

Will need to move the hide a bed so there is about 7" from the wall to the back of the couch to accommodate the TV thickness and the 4 1/2" for the lift. Will have to modify the big window valance a bit to fit. My couch is 72" wide. Will be similar to what Chargerman did to his coach.

Stay tuned.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:33 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Harvey! This is the way I did ours. Hope this helps!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-...ne-136185.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:54 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Golfer Guy,

That is the same lift mechanism I put in my cabinet. Works well. Pretty quiet.

The lift motor starting make some noise (vibration) after a few months. Emailed Touchstone about it. They sent a new motor and instructed me to discard the old one. Great customer service.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:05 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Mike, that's why I ordered the Whisper lift, your retrofit turned out fabulous. I'm looking forward to getting going on this project now that I am in AZ for the winter. In the end it will not be as elaborate as what you did but then again I don't have that set of skills anyway. If I have any questions I will send you a PM.

See you in Quartzite in January? Hope I have the new recliner delivered by then.

Steve
Old 11-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
TtV Lift another question

For 3 or 4 of you that have responded to my original post...specially CHARGERMAN:

If I locate the TV lift and couch/hide a bed in the curb side push out (and the twin recliners or theater seating in the driver side push out)...what did you do with the aqua hot heating devise and heating pipes that were located in under/behind the J-lounger sofa?
Would there be room to relocate it at either end of the newly added TV lift cabinet?

Sorry... I guess that was two questions 🤔
Thanks again, Harvey
Old 11-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not all models/ floorplans have AH heat exchangers mounted under sofa's. Mine doesn't.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:12 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Good question......the ducts are flexible. I relocated them to the front of the kitchen cabinet that is right next to where the couch was. It's tough to cut the holes because it's right next to the floor. Then I took the vent covers off of the front of the couch. I had to cut them down by putting two flats on them so they would fit in the recess under the cabinets and had to snake the flex ducts under the cabinet. Squashed the flex duct into an oval shape and pulled into the cutout and screwed it into the cutout. Then I fastened the vent cover to the bottom of the cabinet. The two ducts are now kind of close together and about 2-3ft more towards the rear. We were in Utah recently and it was pretty chilly. With the heat on there's a lot of airflow from the fan under the dash center so the whole area remains uniformly heated. Sorry I don't have a pic but I can take a couple in the AM if you would like. Routing the flexible conduit from the overhead A/V cabinet to the slide and behind the sleeper sofa is another challenge to have it freely move with the slide while making it invisible. I can share that story and pics tomorrow if anyone has an interest
Old 11-13-2018, 07:22 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Another challenge is dealing with supporting and fastening the sleeper sofa to the slide. With my sofa it overhangs the slide. Therefore I constructed an angle iron base frame to attach to the sofa. I also added blocking and supports to the wooden frame of the sofa to assure it wouldn't become flimsy over time. Once this was completed I added refrigerator rollers to the front of the angle iron frame to support th sofa while allowing to move freely with the slide movement. I through bolted the frame to the slide using carriage bolts up from the bottom so as not to harm the slide seals. The sofa is rock solid. I also used the same bolting method to attach my theater seats to the opposite slide. Didn't want either of these moving around, especially in any defensive driving conditions. Again, I can post some more detailed pics if there's any value to anyone