Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #1

TV Picture Quality Question

I have 32 inch LCD as the TV. Picture quality seems to be great on the low numbered channels and gets worse the higher I go. This occurs only when watching cable. Does not do this on air TV or satelite. TV in the back of the coach works fine on all sources.

Also when I touch the distribution box where you select the source for the TV it can cause the picture to get better or worse. I suspect there is something going on at the output of the box for the front TV for cable like a short.

Any suggestions?

Steve__
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Steve....You can confirm your diagnosis by directly connecting the coax on the distribution box to your TV. If the picture is better, you have a problem with the box. You also need to check the connections on the rear of the distribution box. They get loose.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:43 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Steve....You can confirm your diagnosis by directly connecting the coax on the distribution box to your TV. If the picture is better, you have a problem with the box. You also need to check the connections on the rear of the distribution box. They get loose.
To add to what Don says, you could have a bad cable or bad crimp on one of the connectors. Just purchase a length of pre-fabricated cable and try different connections. Go through the window to the post and if the picture is good work back until you find the source.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I wired the front TV directly to the sat box via one of the Video inputs and the DVD player via the other. We don't use off-air.
If we have park cable we input it thru the video switch and it is terrible and unreliable. We have to use the video switch to get the signal to the BR TV and it has gone whacko from time to time. We were in a place once where we could get no Sat so we had to use the park cable so I wired it direct for the two weeks we were there.
If your ant distribution system has an a/c plug that has no ground prong and is not polarized try reversing it in the outlet and see if that helps.
Ron
Pusherpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:04 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First: Picture degrading as channel numbers climb is a sign of a feed line problem.. as the frequency rises, cable loss rises. NOTE: the cable and the switch and splitters built into the switch and a few other parts are all part of the "feed line"

From the sounds of it (Touching the switch....) that would be my first suspect.. but it could be any cable, or cable end, or connector, on the line.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:16 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
From wa8yxm...
First: Picture degrading as channel numbers climb is a sign of a feed line problem.. as the frequency rises, cable loss rises. NOTE: the cable and the switch and splitters built into the switch and a few other parts are all part of the "feed line"

From the sounds of it (Touching the switch....) that would be my first suspect.. but it could be any cable, or cable end, or connector, on the line.
Quote:
From nodine...
To add to what Don says, you could have a bad cable or bad crimp on one of the connectors. Just purchase a length of pre-fabricated cable and try different connections. Go through the window to the post and if the picture is good work back until you find the source.
These are the best diagnosis and advice you are likely to find.
Daveo0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To Daveo0o

Thank you! (You might notice I recommended the "new cable" too)
Old 10-01-2009, 12:56 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll add that sometimes depending the wiring and how good the ground side of the cable is, if you accidentally leave the Batwing antenna switch on the signal off a cable system can be affected.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote