Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #1

Typical Month with the Motor Home

First we took it to Edmonton for a dog show, 3 hour drive, 4 days parked in a field. Got there easily enough. Set up camp, second night at about 9pm the Onan quit, giving me a slow flashing message - overheat condition.

Next morning called Cummins, found out that they don't do field service on "little" generators, and that they couldn't look at it until the following week. Either pack up and go home or figure out the problem. Got the top off and saw it had thrown both belts (that sounds much easier than it was). Rounded up some parts and spent the next 7 hours taking it apart, finding out that the Cummins supplied belt didn't fit, buying another, and putting it back together (most of that time under the MH) but got it done.

Took it home and parked it for a week before going over the Rockies to Redmond WA for another dog show. Fueled it up before going home to load it and as I pulled out onto the street the drivers side electric visor fell down, hanging by the wiring. Got it home, rigged up a fix for that using plumbers strapping, and off we went. Trip there and back was smooth and without drama, but was getting tired of the fogged door glass and now the vinyl was starting to separate from the door panel.

Got home and dismounted the door, took it home to take it apart and examine it. Realized that the vinyl was stretched, not sure what adhesive to use, so called around and picked an upholstery shop to repair it. Found a glass shop that would take the window out of the door and reseal it.

Wanted to replace the serpentine belt on the CAT, called Finning and found out that there were none in Canada, and only 2 at Caterpillar in Spokane. $120 for the belt, but impressed that they had it in Calgary the following morning. I had tried to find an alternative but the only one I could find was too short. I'll keep the old one as an emergency spare given that they are not a common part and they cost $120 - hope the new one is as durable as the original.

Going to put the door back on this morning, will get the glass back next week and install it then.

BTW, the TV is stuck up in the front ceiling (don't watch TV in the coach so I really don't care that much), and I have some floor tiles that have lifted, a few paint cracks, and the paint is crazing. I'll get to those some other time.

If you are going to own one of these you had better be handy or rich, and it will become your hobby.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #2

Well you have to have something to do during the long quite evenings in the CG, can't spend the entire time sitting under the awning and admiring the scenery...

Otherwise the DW will find something for me to do...

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #3

Cuts back on the drinking, too.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #4

Yep! mine has become my 2nd full time job! I am a DIY guy and my motorhome is always testing my skills. If you think you have it bad, I have 100 times worse. Trip to FL top of dipstick tube unknown to me developed small crack. Sprayed fine mist of oil ALL over the inside of my engine area, back of motorhome and tow car. Combined with the road dirt, I had to scrape it off with a putty knife. Didn't know it until we pulled off for the night. Cleaned as much as I could til morning. Woke up and found a feather stuck to the oil on the windshield of the tow. I guess my car was "tar and feathered". Another trip to FL. Brake assist on tow failed. Pulled off at ramp and found front brake rotors glowing a bright cherry red. Disengaged the brake, kept driving to get air thru the front of the car to cool it before it would start on fire. Now we call the car "the shake and bake". I could go on for hours. Now I realized 4 weeks ago, I have major rot in my walls. I hope to finish repairing by spring. This is a great hobby!
average one is offline   Reply With Quote