Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2017, 05:52 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Solenoid for "salesman switch"

Micki49 wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by micki49 View Post
Mine just did the same on my 2008 Monaco Knight. The Soleniod for the salesman switch that is located in the front drivers side compartment inside the fuse compartment went bad. Bypassed the soleniod until new one comes in this week.
Micki49,
We were on a trip this week and ALL of the 12-V quit in our coach. I remember reading in this forum about the switch and the solenoid issues, so I started out by checking the switch.
Switch appears to be good (checked for continuity with VOM) but I was unable to find the solenoid for the "salesman switch".

I was checking EVERYWHERE and while in the electrical bay (front of coach, driver's side, below level of feet) I noticed a large heavy solenoid in the upper-left corner. I spent quite a few hours poring over the electrical schematics but couldn't find a solenoid that said "Main 12-volt control", "salesman switch" or anything of the sort. I remember this one because it looks exactly like the "starting solenoid" in the rear engine bay (under the bed) that I recently replaced for the chassis.

Would it be possible for you to take a picture of the solenoid you are referring to and post it or send it to via PM? You'd be doing me a great favor and maybe others too.

Thanks for your consideration.
Jay and Valerie - 1996 Monaco Dynasty, Count 36FD. Coach #66387 C 8.3-300 hp; Allison 3060, 6.5 LP generator, no slides. New to us (3-30-2015)
BigPapaYams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Ok here you go. It is the one with the yellow tage. In another post they said they tapped on it with a screwdriver and it started working again.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170526_191549.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	163152Click image for larger version

Name:	20170526_191541.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	163153
Old 05-27-2017, 05:12 AM   #17
YC1

Jay, yours probably will look nothing like the one shown because yours is earlier. Take a look at DR4film's picture to see if that is closer.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:41 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 2003 HR Endeavor 40PBDD. Where is my Salesman Relay? In front driver side Electrical Box, that relay is labeled AUX Start Relay connecting Chassis and Engine Batteries.
Joe_Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:27 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Lost all power

We too encountered this famous BATT CUT OUT switch.
Ours lost all power while I was outside cooking and the wife in the bathroom.
Only one roaming the coach was the cat,she often jumps through the screen door opening to get out,figured she must have hit it on the way out.
taz4028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Many years ago I bumped mine way TOO many times so I installed a guard over the switch (see first photo). Then one night at 3 in the morning it finally happened, no DC which meant no toilet. The very next day I removed the cable from one side of the relay and stuck it on the other side and taped up the purple wire (see second photo).

I have had zero problems with the 12 VDC system ever since and never have to rack my one brain cell to think about what the hell is wrong.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Richard question do you have a supplier of the switches pictured?
Old 05-28-2017, 05:04 AM   #21
YC1

Look Ma, no "Salesman" switch. The switch is removed and the wire socket is tucked inside.

I can now reach inside and run my finger across the light switches until something comes on so I can see. Then I can turn off the ones I don'w want.

Of course a motion detector would work but this was fun and no more cracked corners on the plastics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Original entry panel with Salesman switch.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	163261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Entry panel 1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	163262  

Old 05-28-2017, 06:46 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post

Richard question do you have a supplier of the switches pictured?
I changed manufactures of this type of switch from Sigma to ones made by Carlings Technology. They are better built, smoother to operate and just overall a better quality.

I ordered a dozen on my last purchase. Here is the web site where you can purchase them.

Carlings Mini-Rocker Switch

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:23 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Very nice YC1. Did you make your own base plate to mount the switchs.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #24
YC1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used 1/8 aluminum and covered it in marine vinyl. The plastic device shown from Amazon makes it easy to mount switches. It is a bit tricky to order. They do not come apart so you order them by the number of switches you wish to mount side by side. Cutting one hole for several switches is easier than individually.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
You did a very nice job. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #26
YC1

Here are more switches. You can get them with 0,1, and 2 bulbs. Different colors too. If you want a different wording that can be done too.

Check the few pages beyond 923 for more pictures.

Tags
electrical