Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #1

Unusual noise ?

I noticed a new noise coming from the engine compartment on our 07 Holiday Rambler with a Cummins ISL 400hp with 30k miles. The noise is a high pitch whistleing that starts when the engine is started and persist for several seconds after the engine is turned off. I can hear it clearly but cannot tell where the source is located. I suspect the turbo and question: does the turbo continue to spin after the engine is stopped? If it is the turbo, what do I need to do? If it is not the turbo what is the source of the noise? Thanks Sam
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes the turbo can continue to spin.

You have either a vacuum or a pressure leak would be my first guess.

But the turbo can continue to spin.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There is a turbo By-pass hose that sometimes leaks. It looks about a 1 inch dia. with a 90 deg. bend and about 5" long. You well most likely lose some turbo boost when it's bad. It's easy to change when the engine is cold.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Is this something new. Cummins engines whine or whistle as a normal sound. The pitch changes with RPM but it can be clearly heard if you have your window open and are driving slowly through a campground as an example. You can also tell the big rigs that have Cummins engines on the road by the whistle they make - it comes from the turbo charger. Sorry if this is something you already know. We had an 07 Endeavor 400ISL and it whistled and now we have a Camelot with a 425ISL - same sound.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:30 PM   #5

The noise is new. It continues after the engine has stopped for about 30 seconds. I am taking the MH to Power South Jacksonville, a Cummins sevice center. I will post later when we find out what is causing the noise. Thanks for your replies.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #6

The turbo was the problem, Replaced by Cummins, under factory warranty.