Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2015, 08:59 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Country Coach Owners Club
Upgrade fogs

Want to upgrade the stock fog lights on a 2005 Dynasty. Anyone have any suggestions? Don't really know LED versus standard bulbs. All I know is the standard fogs are a soft yellow that doesn't do much for driving down the dark Oregon coast highways at night. (Obviously going to change the main headlamp bulbs as well - doing that this weekend). Wondered if anyone had any ideas or suggestions for the fogs.
Snocat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2015, 02:54 AM   #2

Sorry, I can't offer any suggestions for fog lamps. What are you doing to help the headlamp situation?

I would like to upgrade my 2004 Dynasty to better night lighting and would love to hear suggestions. The older I get, the more I like good lighting.

PAPA "J"
2004 Dynasty Chancellor
PAPA J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:53 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Just a couple of thoughts for you to consider while you conduct your search since a lot of your final decision will depend on any physical limitations of your mounting location and the type of light you want projected. The light manufacturer websites will provide a detailed drawing of the light so you can determine if it will fit the space.

First the bulb, basically three options; halogen, LED and HID (high intensity discharge). Halogen will be the lowest cost, LED is the newest to the market and I have seen prices all over the map (cost=quality), and HID which are the very bright very white lights you started seeing on European cars 15 years ago and are generally very expensive.

Second the light type; fog or driving light. You mention a fog light which has a lens designed to cast a very wide beam that is low to the ground and only lights a short distance in front of you. When you're in fog you can't project a long beam, you know what happens when you turn on your bright lights in fog. If you want to improve the amount of light you have for general night driving fog lights will be a disappointment. Driving lights have lenses that project a more narrow beam as far down the road as possible and will augment your headlights.

Some of the quality light manufacturers include: Hella, PIAA, IPF & KC. Good luck with your search.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #4

Look at the information about the lights available. The temperature tells you what color the light output will be. 4000K to 4500K is the yellow light we have had for years with incandescent bulbs. For a white light you need 6000K. The lights you see some use that look blue to purple are 8000K to 9000k. Those are terrible for seeing at night so stay away from those. I have used the Silver Star lights for years and like how they help me see, but they burn out much faster the the regular bulbs. They are hotter so they put out more light and a whiter light, but there is a price to pay such as shorter life.
In my opinion, this is a good investment in safety, and it is one of the best things you can do that is very easy.
Austintec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I took out the old fogs and installed these Rigid Driving Lights (model D2-Driving). They are LEDs and wonderfully bright at 3100 lumens. Solved the fog light upgrade and the dim headlight problem with one plug-and-play swap out. Total amp draw is 2.5a, less than the old lights. Just cut the old wires and plugged in the new fixtures. Please be kind and aim them a bit towards the ground.

Rigid Industries LED Lighting | LED Lights, Offroad, Marine, Truck

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hey there Papa J. We got under the coach and undid the two screws holding each headlamp assembly in. Took them to my brother in laws auto body shop and sanded then recoated and sealed the lenses. We're going to simply swap out the bulbs those headlamps for something new and shiny (don't know exactly what as were going to a auto parts store tomorrow to look at bulb ideas.) you don't need to remove the assembly if you just want to change the bulbs. For that you just slide under and unplug, then remove the bulbs. Take them down to an auto parts store and play around their display area to see what kind of light you like. I'll post again after we buy so that we can share what we bought.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone. Taking all suggestions in. Sure do appreciate it!
Old 01-24-2015, 07:59 AM   #8

Snocat4, Thanks for the information. I think my lenses are beyond restoration but I guess I have nothing to loose. I would like to make a decision on a replacement set and have available just in case it turns out less than desirable. Have you researched the available lamp assemblies for replacement? Not only are the lenses ugly, there is a lot of moisture in them most of the time. Guess I need to bite the bullet and give it a try.

Thanks again for your input.

PAPA "J"
2004 Monaco Chancellor
PAPA J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:23 AM   #9
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snocat4 View Post
Thanks everyone. Taking all suggestions in. Sure do appreciate it!
Measure the voltage across the lamp wires to be sure you are getting the full amount. Might not have to change out the fog lamps if the voltage is low.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
I took out the old fogs and installed these Rigid Driving Lights (model D2-Driving). They are LEDs and wonderfully bright at 3100 lumens. Solved the fog light upgrade and the dim headlight problem with one plug-and-play swap out. Total amp draw is 2.5a, less than the old lights. Just cut the old wires and plugged in the new fixtures. Please be kind and aim them a bit towards the ground.

Rigid Industries LED Lighting | LED Lights, Offroad, Marine, Truck

\ken

Search Amazon or eBay for CREE LED lights. I'm doing the square LED's for my Knight this year as my Hella FF200's are oos.

'05 Monaco Knight
40PLQ

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
ivan_drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:44 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
This is what I did. Fits perfectly, except they are too bright.
Amazon.com: XCSOURCEŽ 2X36W Square LED CREE Work Light Offroad Truck Jeep Car Boat ATV SUV 4WD LD196B: Automotive

Add this:
LEDwholesalers LED Strip Lights PWM Dimming Controller For LED Lights or Ribbon, 12 Volt 8/10 Amp, 3301 - Dimmer Switches - Amazon.com
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
...Search Amazon or eBay for CREE LED lights...
The store where I bought my Rigid lights had the CREE as well. In a side-by-side comparison (they had a large rack with about 30 different fixtures mounted on it) the Rigid D2 fixtures were twice the light as the CREE. It was an easy decision after seeing them each "live." Don't know if CREE may have had other options like what Amazon has, but I wanted to brighten the road as much as possible. The Rigid light has a Driving Light option with a small fresnel at the top to focus the light down and on the road. I think the build quality on the Rigid light was quite a bit more rugged, as well. I think Amazon is selling the Rigid D2 now, too, however. Thanks! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bumps...are the Rigid lights you installed street legal? I'd sure like to have more light but I'm a bit worried those may be for off road only.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:43 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
As they say, "According to the sale rep...." The D2 Driving Light version (with the optics that focus downward) is the only option in the Rigid line-up that is. If they are not street legal, I would like to know, too. I could always get a dimmer for them. \ken

PS. Curious, I googled for LED standards on the CDOT website and only found wattage limits on other bulb types (HID, Xenon, etc). Nothing on LEDs. I'll do a more exhaustive search this weekend.

Tags
upgrade