Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Diplomat Don: I did a search for both Sylvania Silverstar and Hella FF lights and found that they have a couple of different model nos. Since we have sister ships (2005 HR Endeavor 36SKT) what model numbers did you install. I'm sure we all have the same problems. I had mine back to Monaco, Elkhart a couple of years ago and they relaligned the lights and told me that was the best I could do. I would appreciate any info since I think sometime this is a safety hazard. Thanks again..........
javpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
javpop...The Silverstars should be the same numbers as you have in there now. Use the high beam number for both the low and high beam. You'll need to trim a small section out of the high beam to make it work. When you compare the new high beam to the old low beam, you'll see what needs to be changed.

Here is the Hella part that I used.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Anybody know if the Hellas will fit, where the fog lights currently are, in an '08 Cayman?

Anybody know what automobile the headlight assembly is from on an '08 Cayman?
Dancing Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I measured my driving lights and found that the Hella FF 50 are the same size. Don's were Hella FF75, which are a different size and shape.
Here are two sites where you can view the Hella lights and see the sizes.

http://www.autoanything.com/lights/20A50136A1.aspx

http://www.autobarn.net/search...talog=rodi&x=18&y=14

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Dancing Bear,
For your headlights, look at the number along the bottom of the lense. Mine was TYC 20-5197, for the left one. When I googled "TYC 20-5197 headlight" I came up with a Buick head light, along with many places to buy them.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:37 AM   #20

Nor'easters Club
I just ordered 2 Hella FF50 driving lights from AutoAnything (free freight), 2 HIR-9011 and 2 HIR-9012 Halogen Infra Red bulbs from the guy on ebay for 28.95 each bulb plus free shipping. Hope this makes a major impact on my night driving.

Don, did you leave the Hellas on the fog switch or have you wired them differently?
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Ron,
I also ordered the FF 50's from AutoAnything on the 24th and 4 HIR bulbs form the link in Mark's (Sixpack98) post. He was $24.95/bulb plus $8.00 S & H per order.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:22 AM   #22

Nor'easters Club
Harry,
Looks like the price is about the same for these bulbs no matter where...but it's a small price to pay if they are what they are claimed to be, (I refer to the H.I.R. bulbs of course). The price of the FF 50's is a real bargain (IMHO).

Old 12-04-2008, 04:38 AM   #23

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by moisheh:
Many MH's have a problem with the way the headlights are wired. You should check the voltage at the headlight connector. If it is low there is a cure that involves Bosch relays to provide full voltage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And don't forget to use a heavier wire to improve ground. I use a 14 ga. for power and ground. Just that alone will brighten the lights.

Lee

'Retirement is grossly underrated '
Jo/Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:02 AM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> And don't forget to use a heavier wire to improve ground. I use a 14 ga. for power and ground. Just that alone will brighten the lights.

Lee
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, if one was to use a heavier gage wire I know it would terminate at the lights but where would the wires start?? Sorry I do not have my coach available to trace the headlight wires but thinking it may be more involved then what I can take on. Not even sure where the relays would be installed.

Thanks
Ed
Old 12-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #25

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well the gnd would start at the nearest large piece of metal near the headlight that was grounded to the frame. The 12v or power line would come from the relay.
I started to explain how to do this but by the time I got done typing even I couldn't understand what It said.

Lee

'Retirement is grossly underrated '
Jo/Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> And don't forget to use a heavier wire to improve ground. I use a 14 ga. for power and ground. Just that alone will brighten the lights.

Lee
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, if one was to use a heavier gage wire I know it would terminate at the lights but where would the wires start?? Sorry I do not have my coach available to trace the headlight wires but thinking it may be more involved then what I can take on. Not even sure where the relays would be installed.

Thanks
Ed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ed,
I think the best approach would be to use the existing wiring/relays as control signals for low/high beam. Trying to retrofit the existing config would not be an easy task and prone to a lot of problems. I installed a couple of "Bosch" type relays and the relay coils were controlled by the appropriate wires to the headlights. I installed these relays on the firewall above the generator. I also ran a +12 and Ground 12G or 14G wire (can't remember) from the Front Run Bay (FRB)to the relays. If memory serves I saw an increase of about .3 to .5v increase which translates in more light output. I got my inspiration from here:

http://www.danielsternlighting...h/relays/relays.html

I'm not entirely sure where the voltage drop occurred but I suspect it was from several sources. It probably added up from the smaller diameter wire, connectors, taxed 12v source in the FRB, copper traces on the relay/fuse PCB.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #27

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the info but when it comes to wires and stuff well it scares the you know what out of me. I appreciate the link and infor, I will spend time reading thru to see if I can understand the concept.

Thanks
Ed
Old 12-08-2008, 06:46 AM   #28

Nor'easters Club
Just installed 4 H.I.R. bulbs in my Endeavor. I did one side then checked the brightness against the original O.E.M. bulbs in the other side. I would say the end result is about 20% brighter than factory. All said, I'm pretty happy with them (The HIR bulbs)