Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2020, 10:19 AM   #1

Upgrade Inverter Write Up for Trace L1512 year 2000 era Inverter

Does anyone know of a post or writeup anywhere how to use the existing cable for the remote and successfully upgrade to a pure sine wave inverter?
map747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2020, 10:23 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just plug remote into new one.
I went from a ms 2000 to the hybrid 3000 magnun.
I did change my rc50 to the arc50, used the existing wire.
Added the bmk.

If you need anything else, just ask.
Terry
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Are you looking for advice on the telephone cable, or general inverter upgrade?
The phone cable is pretty simple. It'll either work as-is, or you'll need to crimp a new RJ connector on one end to reverse the wires. The inverter manual will tell you how the RJ needs to be wired.
For general inverter upgrade, there are numerous options on how any particular inverter could be installed and configured, so there's not just one way to replace the inverter.
The good news is that is not terribly complex. Find the installation manual for your old inverter and figure out how it is presently wired. Then compare that to how the new inverter can be wired.
I'm not familiar with your inverter, but it looks like it is a single in/out? (referring to one or two 'legs' of incoming and/or outgoing AC power)
Does this manual cover yours?
https://itacanet.org/eng/elec/solar/ux2.pdf
If it's a single leg in and out, that opens up your selection of inverters greatly. Download an installation manual for whatever inverter before you buy it and plan out how to install and configure it. Think about the overall size of the unit and location of battery terminals. If you can pick a new one that is laid out similarly, it may save you a ton of installation headaches.
It looks like your inverter has the DC connections on one end of the box, and the AC connections on the other end of the box. A lot of inverters have the AC and DC connections on the same side of the box. Rewiring could be pretty easy or it could be real, real hard. So make sure to think through the logistics of installation before making a purchase.
And realize that your existing 12v system (cables and batteries) are probably the limiting factor on output power. In my opinion there's no sense in buying a huge inverter if the coach's electrical system will only support 1500w.
Cheers,
Walter
Old 09-03-2020, 11:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
When you swap from an early Trace Xantrex inverter to a new Magnum inverter you will need to cut the original RJ11 telephone connector off and re-crimp a new one reversing the polarity. I chose to do this on the inside where the remote is because it's easier to work there than in the basement.
Of course you will need a Magnum remote.
My Trace also had a different ground cable and I had to make a new one. I temporarily used a car jumper cable until I made up the new battery cable for the inverter.

This is a detailed writeup on switching to a new Magnum Hybrid inverter. A lot of this will not apply if you use a standard pure sine Magnum inverter.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/swa...re-386835.html
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #5

Clarification

I am trying to decide how I want to go about this upgrade. My system (Trace Legend 1512L) has 2 legs. I am interested in an affordable PSW unit that utilizes existing connections. Thank you wamcneil! The AC and DC connections are on opposite sides! It looks like the DC wiring is pretty heavy duty. I need to look at that again. Thank you vito.a, good points and I love reading the previous write ups!
map747 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, inverter, upgrade