RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2020, 09:07 PM   #127

My guess would be a bad ground at that light.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #128

Are you certain you have both the right bulb. Some bulbs are opposite. My daughter's Sunfire needed a headlight stalk...they were notorious for bad harness near battery . Pulled that it had a repair that was ok. Fixed the stalk the the HL was one high one low then swapped. Pulled the loom again . Turns out exwifes BF put two bulbs in he had laying around one was wrong. Both bulbs were most likely. These were double filament bulbs like 3003 and 3005 if I'm remembering right.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:43 AM   #129

Monaco Owners Club
Last Camping Trip of the Season

Thanks for the input fellas! I will take a closer look at both. The grounds seemed fine in the Front Run Bay, but I didn't get in close to look behind the headlight assemblies. I certainly feel something is amiss with the bulb, although we haven't changed any of the bulbs and if I recall it was working normally when we purchased it last year. The mystery continues, looks like it will be on next season's to do list.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1295.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	591.8 KB
ID:	304505 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1296.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	600.4 KB
ID:	304506

Enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving long weekend and the last camping trip of the season for now. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the coach isn't headed south at this point, so into heated storage it goes.

So today is clean up and winterization day. As you can see, boy does it need a wash! Always a fun one. Wishing everyone a great week!
Josh
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:51 AM   #130

That is one beautiful looking coach. I am a blue colour person. If it wasn't for cost and my paint being fine, I'd do it up like that.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:40 PM   #131

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacdon61 View Post
That is one beautiful looking coach. I am a blue colour person. If it wasn't for cost and my paint being fine, I'd do it up like that.
Thanks for the kind words, Bob! It's certainly an attention grabber in the parks. We weren't looking for such a stand out paint job, but fell in love with it right away. Glad the rest of the coach behind the paint was good too .

The build sheet says it was a custom ordered paint from the factory, kind of interesting to think 20 years ago someone had the idea to go with a bold scheme.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! Thanks for continuing to follow along.
Josh
Old 10-15-2020, 09:17 AM   #132

Monaco Owners Club
Diesel Additive for Winter Storage?

What is everyone's thoughts and experiences on using a diesel additive for winter storage? The plan is to store the coach in a heated facility.

I've read a bit about the algae risk, but also that Cummins doesn't recommend additives in their engines.

Curious to hear from any owners who have stored their coach for 4-6 months, what do you do?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 10-16-2020, 08:13 PM   #133

I wouldn't want to criticize any additive manufacturer, additives don't seem to harm engines. Their value at best is a feel good on the part of the person adding it. I think back in the old days of summer/winter fuels and extremes across refining fuels, maybe. Never used any as fuels today are very stable with long shelf life.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:28 PM   #134

Monaco Owners Club
Josh,

Read your entire thread on upgrades-repairs and Big Blue is lucky to have you own her! You have done an excellent job communicating what you have been doing and the many pictures really help us to understand the detail.

I'd be happy to find an RV shop that is as thorough as you are!

Hope the winter goes by quickly so you can get back to BB and the great outdoors!
Old 10-21-2020, 03:31 PM   #135

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTL View Post
What is everyone's thoughts and experiences on using a diesel additive for winter storage? The plan is to store the coach in a heated facility.

I've read a bit about the algae risk, but also that Cummins doesn't recommend additives in their engines.

Curious to hear from any owners who have stored their coach for 4-6 months, what do you do?

Thanks,
Josh
Josh, I use a small amount of additive in our ISL but it's more for lubricity than anything else. The main thing with algae is to keep the tank fairly full rather than empty. The large air quantities in your tank can promote algae growth.

Sad to say, it's that time of year for us as well. Time to put the ole' girl to bed for a few months. The nice thing about putting it into a heated storage is no need to winterize like we used to have to do and it's always ready to go even when outside temps are in the single digits.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:11 PM   #136

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texomaman73 View Post
Josh,

Read your entire thread on upgrades-repairs and Big Blue is lucky to have you own her! You have done an excellent job communicating what you have been doing and the many pictures really help us to understand the detail.

I'd be happy to find an RV shop that is as thorough as you are!

Hope the winter goes by quickly so you can get back to BB and the great outdoors!
Wow, you're too kind sir! Thanks so much for the nice words and for following along. I could not imagine how we would have done those projects without the helpful members here. This here is an invaluable resource for these 20 year old coaches.

Happy winter to you as well and hope the camping weather returns soon!
Josh
Old 10-21-2020, 07:16 PM   #137

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Josh, I use a small amount of additive in our ISL but it's more for lubricity than anything else. The main thing with algae is to keep the tank fairly full rather than empty. The large air quantities in your tank can promote algae growth.

Sad to say, it's that time of year for us as well. Time to put the ole' girl to bed for a few months. The nice thing about putting it into a heated storage is no need to winterize like we used to have to do and it's always ready to go even when outside temps are in the single digits.
Thanks so much for the feedback, Mike. We decided to go with a full tank and leave it at that. Feel even better knowing it aligns with your experience .

Time flies! The heated storage does make us feel better about it, especially for the battery banks. Was hoping to not winterize it. Reason we did, was that it's a new building and owner to us. The facility is about 1.5 hours from us and the building is checked only a few times a month. So out of an abundance of caution and peace of mind we winterized it.

Are you able to work on yours during the winter?
Old 10-22-2020, 08:57 AM   #138

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks so much for the feedback, Mike. We decided to go with a full tank and leave it at that. Feel even better knowing it aligns with your experience .

Time flies! The heated storage does make us feel better about it, especially for the battery banks. Was hoping to not winterize it. Reason we did, was that it's a new building and owner to us. The facility is about 1.5 hours from us and the building is checked only a few times a month. So out of an abundance of caution and peace of mind we winterized it.

Are you able to work on yours during the winter?
I completely understand about being new to indoor storage. Of our last 25 years of owning coaches ours has only been indoors for the past 3 winters. Our last place the RV's all had to sit outside and we would winterize them in between uses during the winter.

When we moved and completed the new shop/RV garage in 2017 I still winterized our coach for that first winter so I could monitor temps in the RV storage bay throughout the winter and not worry about something freezing if temps dipped too low. I was happy to learn that even in single digit temps outside the RV bay never got below 40 degrees and was usually closer to around 50 degrees F. I keep the shop portion heated to 50-degrees at night and around 60 during the afternoon and evenings while working so enough heat transfers to the RV storage bay as to not have to winterize any longer.

I do work on the coach during the winter to cross off maintenance items in preparation for the next travel season when needed but try to keep it travel ready at all times. For large projects I will try to schedule them in between trips or early winter as soon as I put it away.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:41 AM   #139

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
I completely understand about being new to indoor storage. Of our last 25 years of owning coaches ours has only been indoors for the past 3 winters. Our last place the RV's all had to sit outside and we would winterize them in between uses during the winter.

When we moved and completed the new shop/RV garage in 2017 I still winterized our coach for that first winter so I could monitor temps in the RV storage bay throughout the winter and not worry about something freezing if temps dipped too low. I was happy to learn that even in single digit temps outside the RV bay never got below 40 degrees and was usually closer to around 50 degrees F. I keep the shop portion heated to 50-degrees at night and around 60 during the afternoon and evenings while working so enough heat transfers to the RV storage bay as to not have to winterize any longer.

I do work on the coach during the winter to cross off maintenance items in preparation for the next travel season when needed but try to keep it travel ready at all times. For large projects I will try to schedule them in between trips or early winter as soon as I put it away.
You're living the dream, Mike! Well at least my dream . That's awesome. We don't have enough space for a shop at our current place, but the long term goal has always been to find some property and build one.

I have a bad case of "tinkereritis", always like to be working on something. So winters are particularly tough for us up here without a shop . Lots of planning for next year at least .
Old 10-22-2020, 10:32 AM   #140

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
You're living the dream, Mike! Well at least my dream . That's awesome. We don't have enough space for a shop at our current place, but the long term goal has always been to find some property and build one.

I have a bad case of "tinkereritis", always like to be working on something. So winters are particularly tough for us up here without a shop . Lots of planning for next year at least .
Thanks Josh. Yes, they require lots of planning and funding.

We were fortunate in so many ways to be able to be where we are now.

Mike

Tags
air, monaco, repair, repairs, upgrade