Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2006, 03:57 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Just wanted to start a discussion. Seems like some in the Monaco forum have moved from Winnebago to Monaco like I have. Here are some starters for discussion:
1. Why?
2. Are you happier with Monaco?
3. What Winne features would you like to see Monaco adopt?
4. Etc?
Now that I've posted this, I'm hitting the road.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2006, 03:57 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Just wanted to start a discussion. Seems like some in the Monaco forum have moved from Winnebago to Monaco like I have. Here are some starters for discussion:
1. Why?
4. Etc?
Now that I've posted this, I'm hitting the road.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Roy -

I was getting ready to post about the BrakeSwitch, but I saw this thread first (and am highjacking it for a minute Hope you get a chance to see the BrakeSwitch info before you leave.

Your trip sounds like an awesome adventure, and one I'm sure y'all are going to enjoy. I hope you have lots of stories to tell when you get back. Will you have I-net access on the journey?

As a takeoff on the old Irish toast... "Tailwinds and Downhill All The Way, My Friend"
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:01 PM   #4

I had a 2005 Winn. Vectra and just upgraded to a 2006 Beaver. The fit and finish and materials of the Beaver are far superior to the Winn. products. However Winn. give the consumer more "goodies" like chassis controls, towel holders, etc.

08 Monaco Dynasty Renaissance IV
montanaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:59 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ummmm..... ok.

I got a nickel-satin finish toilet-paper holder with my Endeavor. My previous coach (non-Monaco) had a plastic one, does that count?

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:56 AM   #6
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the great features we love about our Lapalma is the interior quietness. We no longer have to max out the TV volume if it is raining. In fact, most of the time we don't know it is raining unless we see it on the windows.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:58 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Not to Hijack this thread even further but since your talking about it, we just added this product to the store -->BrakeSwitch

Hoping to install one on my rig this weekend.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:58 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Warpath, then why did you hijack it? Did I miss somehting here? Who's talking about "brakeswitch". We're ingrossed in Monaco.

------------------------------------------------

Anyway Monaco Fans,
the change has been a most pleasant and rewarding experience for my wife and I. Just attending a Monaco Rally was a major eye opener and a First Class Event.

Regarding the coach, where do we start? Quality materials throughout(real wood)solid floors, extremely quiet(don't hear much of the outside noises, rain noise only from the roof vents and skylight), smooth quiet ride, securely attached drawer slides, a surround system that sounds like surround sound, full view windshield, quiet but very efficent defroster fan system, great utility bay, engine serviceablity/access, generator access, tank monitoring system that works, aqua-hot system, manta-block plumbing system and a great water supply. Just to name a few.

radarr
Old 09-04-2006, 12:48 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Radarr -

I think I can help....

Flyer and I had been talking back-and-forth about his BrakeSwitch installation on another thread, and I wanted to be sure he saw my PM to him before he left on his trip. Bill (Warpath) must have seen the word BrakeSwitch in here and jumped on too. I know he's very excited about the product now being available thru RVUpgrades, and probably just couldn't stop himself (get it? "Stop" As in 'BrakeSwitch'?? )

Anyways, glad you're happy with your coach too, we couldn't be more pleased with our selection. I guess we missed this rally, but certainly want to make it to another one, soon. How do you find the latest info on them, and where/when they will be held?

Ron

Old 09-07-2006, 08:37 AM   #10

Ron, the Monaco website has a section on there with information about the dates and locations of the rallies they sponsor.

www.monacocoach.com/owners/rally calendar

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:14 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Flyer:
1. Why?
4. Etc?
Now that I've posted this, I'm hitting the road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) Journey was a lemon. Rust problems and floor tiles popping. They dealt with much of the rust but it appears a wall was shifting and that caused the tiles to buckle. Just had enough of the thing.

2) Well, let me say that we are less unhappy with the Monaco. Its quality is better than the Winnie we owned but still no where near what one should expect for the $$$ we paid.
3) A compass and outside temperature guage was standard on the Journey. Not on our Ambassador. While the dash on the Ambassador has more guages, it does not have the FTL info center that is standard - would be nice to have on the Ambassador. Also Journey radio had a remote control - none on our Ambassador Overall, the Ambassador (priced about the same as the Journey) has far more features, better floor plans, GY tires that don't lose air vs the XRV Michelins that were always losing air, better standard fans, etc.
4) Our dealer (HR and Winnie) has far too much biz for its staff levels and appointments take 8 weeks and you can wait forever to get your MH back. Clearly both Winnie and Monaco are far more interested in sales than service.

It is unlikely that I'd buy a Winnie again unless I observed a big improvement in quality. Not sure if I'd buy another HR either. Will see how years two and three go with the Ambassador before making that decision.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:01 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ok Flyer, you asked why Monaco over Winnie. Here goes (in a long, round-about way)...

My first mh was a 1982 Minnie-Winnie that I'd bought used (very well used), and though I'd camped and then trailered for years before that, I didn't know what to look for in a mh. So, after replacing the AC, rebuilding the gennie twice, replacing the sagging floor and new wood and adding vinyl then Berber carpet over it (why? Because I'd gone with vinyl, then someone gave me an exact size piece of Berber, so why not?), replacing both engine exhaust manifolds, 3 wheels and 4 tires, new water-pump and alternator, and a few other things I've forgotten, I got it right where I liked it. Except I suddenly realized it was too small. But since I'd been everywhere inside and outside the entire vehicle many many times, I liked what Winnie did with their coaches (can you really call a 20' mh a coach?), and was looking for the same type of construction in a larger one.

Couldn't find another Winebago I wanted, but did see a 1992 27' Gulfstream Class C that fit the bill. It even had semi-basement storage! Whoo-hooo! Now I can haul everything with me. Oh, and it was ˜us' by now, meaning a 120# German Shepherd Dog and a GF. Fast forward, and skipping over the dealer and his service (or lack thereof), we put almost 180k miles on it in 8 years. Overall a good vehicle, but the last straws were multiple blowouts (remember when I'd just said we could haul everything? Its gross weight was just that: gross!) in the last 5k miles, plus a gennie-failure when GF wanted to make a margarita. So we went looking.

Found a 2000 Rexhall 32' Class A (wow! More basement storage!) that was perfect, it even had ... gasp... a slideout. Now this is living! And it was, for another 38k miles and 5 years, til the engine blew up. No warning, no hot-rodding (like the dealer had insinuated... Darn, he musta saw the racing slicks on the back. He got me! ) or nothing, just cracked a head. Ford stepped up and covered parts, even though it was out of warranty, but non-local dealer just laughed (we were 1500 miles from home. Why do these things always happen then??) when I suggested they good-will their labor. But, it was working fine when we got it back, and didn't have any more problems. Still, I wasn't 100% confident after that. So, we (by now it's DW, and not GF anymore ) went shopping again.

This time we found a leftover 2004 (by now, we're now ½ way thru 2005 model year) 37' Gulfstream Atrium gasser, and at a right price. Superficially, it had and did everything we wanted and needed. Oh, to turn back the hands of time... I'd go and slap myself silly if I could, over that deal. Ever get a tiny feeling that something wasn't right, but you just ignored it because you could never put a finger on it? In all my years of buying ANYTHING, that was by far the worst move I ever made . I won't go into details over it, but we started calling it "The POS", and that doesn't mean Point-Of-Sale! Someone else recently tagged one of theirs "The BBT", which would have good since mine was brown too.
Anyways, we had it 6 months of which 5 was at dealer, waiting for GS to approve the 6-page defect list. GS disallowed it, saying the dealer was padding the repairs. So, we crossed our fingers hoping it would make it and went to the factory. They worked on it 3 weeks and finally said they'd need it another week, because they'd have to re-fiberglas over the main-door and recut it, since the original was cut crooked. At that, I gave up.

We'd gone looking at the Newmar, GS's, and Monaco/HR factories while in Indiana, since we had a LOT of time to kill each day while they worked on the POS. Totally, absolutely, and completely head-over-heels fell in love with the Monaco/HR's. Since I can (well, most of the time ) see good workmanship and quality when it's staring me in the face), I knew we had to have one of these. Yes, we'd looked at all brands each time we went shopping for a new mh, and Winebago was always a strong contender each time, but this is what I'd build if I could build a mh. I wanted one that would take us into retirement and beyond, and here was one that had the structure, comfort, amenities, and details to do it.

Only problem was would it fit on the backyard-pad at home? So, we told GS to forget the rest of the repairs, picked up the POS and raced back home, measured the space to see if 40' would fit where 37' barely did (did you know these things can almost bend in the middle, if you try hard enough?) and then called DeMartini to tell them to do the make-ready because we were on our way back with a check. All this in 4 days!

Fast-forward to the present. We've had the 40PAQ for 9 months now, and had not had one single thought of "Uh-oh, why did I do that?". No hesitations whatsoever. The HR does everything we want/need, and does it better than anything we've seen from any manufacturer, plus the mfgr/dealer-chain has been superb.

BTW, I mentioned all of the above, not to brag or bore y'all, but to show that by now this ain't my first rodeo, I've been bucked-off before.

So, to answer your questions, Roy:
1) Sorta like what the realtors said: "Quality, quality, quality".
2) Yes, very much so. Overall as well as minutely.
3) Can't really think of any, except that I've heard Winnie gives customers wiring diagrams, etc, as part of the sale. I've gotten everything I asked-for from Monaco/HR, but had to ask first. So, maybe that.
4) See all of above

HTH,
Ron