Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2015, 01:04 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Upgrading the holding tank monitor

I have a 2000 Monaco and would like to upgrade the old holding tank monitor with a more up to date one.... Any suggestions?
Navrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2015, 04:05 AM   #2

What is the old monitor doing that you want to upgrade?
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navrick View Post
I have a 2000 Monaco and would like to upgrade the old holding tank monitor with a more up to date one.... Any suggestions?
SeeLevel is the way to go if you have the skills and perseverance to install the system. They have a model that will use the old wiring and the sensors are daisy chained together. Each sensor has an address you set when installing. The sensor strips I believe are about 12 inches long and you cut them to the required height for the tank you are installing on. The sensors glue to the outside of the tank and are not affected by the tank contents. The biggest part of the job is getting to the tanks. You will most likely have to remove the large white panel in the service bay. A real pain.

By the way you can install two monitors, one inside the coach and one in the service bay, all using the same wires.

If you are interested here are some photos of our install:
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=1404

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:22 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
The biggest part of the job is getting to the tanks. You will most likely have to remove the large white panel in the service bay. A real pain.
Before trying to take out that panel, walk to the other side of the coach, and look for the panel that is directly opposite the water bay door. On many coaches, this is a plain blank panel that appears to look fixed in place. Look closely at the gaps all around the edge of the panel. If you see a hinge you are in luck: now look at the edge opposite the hinge and you should find a way to release that edge and swing the panel open.

My panel swings to the side: if I look at the top and bottom of the gap opposite the hinge, I have two small L brackets holding it closed. Using a slender square drive tool I can take out the two screws going through the L brackets and swing the panel open.

If you have top swinging panels, you may find some screws at the bottom, or a metal tab that can be bent back to release the panel.

If you can get that panel open you have clear and easy access to all of the tanks, making installing the outside contact probes (like the SeeLevel) easy.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
OK, I just took a look at Bob's install pictures (should've looked at them first... )

He's got a picture of that panel open, and you can see the ends of the grey and black tanks on top of the fresh water tank.

It's the first time I've paid attention to what's behind the white water bay panel. I didn't realize that the tanks were that much taller on that end.

Bob, you've obviously been in there: are the tanks L shaped and hang down in front of the fresh tank? If so, how wide is that hanging down part of the L? Or are they tapered triangular shaped tanks?

Looking at the position of the factory sensors, they seem quite non-linear: the lowest one is up quite a bit from the bottom. Does the tank have a significant amount of volume before it fills up to the point of reaching that back wall? (Don't know if I'm phrasing that clearly.) In other words, if sensors were placed on that back part of the tank that's visible from the curb side compartment (like I was planning) would it miss a significant amount of volume before the liquids reach that level?
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I've replaced my factory setup with SeeLevel and that was worth the effort. But as stated, getting to the tanks is a real pain. I ended up splitting the white panel and using as SS hinge to put it back in. Now I have much easier access behind the panel. I did use the original wires so I didn't have to pull any wires. I did take pictures of my install, let me know and I will send them to you.

BTW, Monaco does a real sloppy job behind the panel. If I ran that place I would have been ashamed of the workmanship.

Also, my layout is totally different (my fresh water tank is in a front bay, and my water hose reel is next to the black/grey tank...)
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
OK, I just took a look at Bob's install pictures (should've looked at them first... )

He's got a picture of that panel open, and you can see the ends of the grey and black tanks on top of the fresh water tank.

It's the first time I've paid attention to what's behind the white water bay panel. I didn't realize that the tanks were that much taller on that end.

Bob, you've obviously been in there: are the tanks L shaped and hang down in front of the fresh tank? If so, how wide is that hanging down part of the L? Or are they tapered triangular shaped tanks?

Looking at the position of the factory sensors, they seem quite non-linear: the lowest one is up quite a bit from the bottom. Does the tank have a significant amount of volume before it fills up to the point of reaching that back wall? (Don't know if I'm phrasing that clearly.) In other words, if sensors were placed on that back part of the tank that's visible from the curb side compartment (like I was planning) would it miss a significant amount of volume before the liquids reach that level?
Adam,

As you can see from the photos I placed the sensor on the fresh water tank on the curb side and the sensors on the black and gray tanks on the road side. There is a slope to the black and gray from the curb side to the road side. I don't know how much but I was concerned there would be water in the gray tank when the sensor indicated it was empty. You might be able to get by with placing the sensors on the sloped end of the tanks I just did not feel comfortable doing that.

You could turn off the water to the toilet so that water does not flow when the peddle is held down. Have the black tank empty and pour measured amounts of water into the toilet until you see it through the opening in the toilet. I assume your toilet has a straight shot to the black tank as ours does and your toilet is on the curb side of the coach. In that manner you will be able to tell if there is a significant amount of liquid in the tank before it would reach a sensor placed on the curb side end.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Just looking for something to do.... Haha
Navrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navrick View Post
Just looking for something to do.... Haha
My coach needs waxing... I'm just sayin'... LOL
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:23 PM   #10
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
My coach needs waxing... I'm just sayin'... LOL

And my wheels need polishing. Just Sayin'
Old 07-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
SeeLevel.

I purchased the SeeLevel setup and didn't get around to installing it for three years. Of course, when I hooked it up, it wouldn't work. Murphy's law.

So when I phoned them, they informed me that unfortunately the components for my system were outdated and updated, and the parts no longer available. But I could send the parts back for examination, which I did.

They determined that the board needed repair, caused by sloppy soldering at time of manufacture. They repaired it for free, and paid all the freight. So I figure they are a stand up company.

The system has worked well for me, and I would certainly consider using SeeLevel gauges again.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank