Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2020, 12:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Upper Shock Brackets

Does anyone know where I can get the upper shock brackets for an 8 bag Roadmaster. I have an 03 Windsor 40 DST. I left a message with the Rev group and they did call me back. The girl was new so she tried her best and did give me a part number, but she couldn't answer my question. My upper brackets are welded and have a stud to mount the shock. She said they have them in stock and are $274.ea. I asked if they are wrong can I send them back. I can for a 20% restock fee. I just don't know if I want to take that chance and pay to return them if they are not right. They don't have a picture of them so it is a guessing game. I can buy flat stock and make my own as another option. I have tried all the shock people and they don't have anything. I can't find any roadmaster chassis dealers on line.
Thanks in advance.
Mark
Poormarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It will be tough to find any new parts for a Roadmaster chassis. When Monaco went bankrupt they were bought buy Navistar in 2009, then sold to REV group in 2013. REV does not support the older Monaco line. And Roadmaster chassis were not used after 2009.

You best bet is to either call salvage yards like Colaw https://colawrvsalvage.com/ and maybe someone will be willing to go out in the yard and cut a mount off the coach for you,
or
try to get a mount that will work that was made for a truck. Like this Kenworth mount:

I don't know what your mount looks like so I couldn't search for you. But you get the idea.

Is is bolt on mount or welded? Can you post a photo?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shock Mount.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	304682  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #3

The 274.00 dollars seems pricy, also interesting is there's a replacement for a
'welded' bracket. How would the new bracket be attached ,,,welded or bolted.
I guess the next question is why the bracket needs replacing. Would be most helpful to see pictures of the failure. Is the shock stud welded to the bracket.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:44 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a stud welded onto a bracket?
I had one break on the left-front 2003 RR10. The one just underneath driver seat.
Instead of trying to replace the stud or bracket assy, I drilled out the stud and welded a 2nd tab to the member. Then used a through-bolt for the head of the shock.
The stud was surprisingly soft and pretty easy to drill out. Need a right-angle drill to get in there. I made a jig to clamp to the bracket and guide the drill bit.
Cheers,
Walter
Old 10-14-2020, 01:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Broken shock mount

I also had one break on the shock infront of Left rear duals on an 8 bag system.

It was a few years ago, I remember taking the duals off, removing the air bag and welding it.
Cost was nothing just time.
I do remember it was challenging.
GTX440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I had an upper shock mount break on the left rear. It was a stud through a welded on bracket. I also drilled it out and used a grade 8 bolt to remount the shock. It was tough drilling in such a tight area but finally got through.

Most of the Roadmaster brackets were fabricated right at the factory. You should be able to get a local welding shop to duplicate it.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:46 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
shock bracket

I have added a picture of the broken off piece on both shocks on the front air bags on the rear axle. I talked with Source Engineering and talked with the owner, Jim, and he said they make their own brackets out of 1/4" flat stock. Mine has a stud welded to a bracket. It will be challenging to cut and grind the old bracket off as there is not much room but making my own will be stronger and I will drill a bolt hole in the plates so I can use a grade bolt.
Thanks for all the replies as this group is awesome with help!!
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2113 (1).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	304711  
Old 10-14-2020, 09:09 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Upper Shock Brackets

We had a top shock mount break on the rear of our 2005 Signature.

We had a local truck shop weld in a replacement bolt from McMaster-Carr. It was an M18/2.5x100mm 10.9 bolt with matching locknuts.

https://www.mcmaster.com/91310A117

https://www.mcmaster.com/94645A260

The shock mount broke because we used the air suspension to raise the rear end to get up our driveway. Ours did not come with any suspension travel limiting device, but we have one now!

For newer Bilstein shocks we needed to use a washer that is bigger than the diameter of the top rubber bushing to stop the shock eye loop from coming off the rubber bushing. The design had changed from the original Bilstein shocks from 2005. I don’t recall the exact size, but it was M18 from a local hardware store that has an excellent fastener section. If you would like to know, I can measure it.

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:18 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Source told me that broken shock mounts are common on these coaches.
I drilled a hole right through what was left of the old stud and mount plate. I used 1/4" dia cobalt shorty drill bits.
Link to a thread with a picture of my repair, post #19.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f24/brok...-373734-2.html
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:12 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the info. I have started making new brackets and will bolt them in. Not going to be a fun project as there isn't much room.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:38 AM   #11

If you need more photos of a repair. send me your email or I can text some.
I drilled mine out installed a stud. similar to what others have done. The only welding I did was on the stud itself.
Road-master RR8 is a great chassis but the welding quality.... not so much.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:48 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Yikes. Yeah, that looks like you'll need to replace the brackets.
My stud broke off flush with the bracket, which made it a much easier fix.
I hope it goes well!
Cheers,
Walter
Old 10-16-2020, 07:52 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhittle View Post
We had a top shock mount break on the rear of our 2005 Signature.

The shock mount broke because we used the air suspension to raise the rear end to get up our driveway. Ours did not come with any suspension travel limiting device, but we have one now!

Paul
What did you use to limit suspension travel?
Old 10-16-2020, 09:54 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
What did you use to limit suspension travel?

Give me a couple days and I will get some pictures.

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote