Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2021, 03:08 PM   #1

Used Parts Scarce?

I'm still looking for my "new to me" coach, but as I look at various available coaches I make a list of things that will need replaced due to one reason or another. It helps me see the big picture regarding cost since i know what it will take to make it mine.

Depending on what's needed I make a call to REV Group to check pricing ($800+ for a rear ladder is unbelieveable), hit up google with the Monaco parts list, or I make a call to an RV salvage yard to check used prices and availability. I'm a big Pick-N-Pull guy for the fun of it so reconditioning parts is nothing to me.

All said, the yards that advertise used RV parts seem to have nothing. As as example, VisionRV has a website with tons of pictures of available RVs. I spent some time going through all the pictures until I found several that had parts I needed. I sent not one but 4 emails to them asking for availability and price of several parts, and I was surprised when they responded to each one that all the parts I was asking about were unavailable.

I then called VisionRV to see if I could get a list of what they do have available or updated pictures/prices, and I was told no. I asked if I could get notified in some way when new RV's with parts I needed arrived, and I was again told no. When I asked about how current the pictures on their website were I was told not sure.

Maybe I just had the wrong expectation, but with so many shared parts among Monaco RVs, and others, I find it weird that nothing seems to be available used regardless of what the website says.

Does someone have a secret source of parts I don't know about...lol
Analyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2021, 03:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have found the same thing. I wanted a storage door for a 2005. They had several RVs on the website. They said not available. Every part I have asked for, same story. The only exception was a ladder... They will only sell the rear cap for 3k. I always laugh when people advise checking there.
Onrecess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:35 PM   #3

I would not worry about parts. What years and models are you considering? Rev is a waste of time. Northwest Rv in Oregon has a lot of surplus parts. Rv wreckers will often remove ladders and just pile them. You bring the damaged unit and match. There are universal ladders as well. You cannt determine what you might need until you purchase. I do not know of anyone that has bought a used motorhome and it cannot be driven because one part is needed. Especially if it is not over 20 years old. MH's are not like cars. You could buy a 2010 anymake and still have to do some searching for parts.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
I would not worry about parts. What years and models are you considering? Rev is a waste of time. Northwest Rv in Oregon has a lot of surplus parts. Rv wreckers will often remove ladders and just pile them. You bring the damaged unit and match. There are universal ladders as well. You cannt determine what you might need until you purchase. I do not know of anyone that has bought a used motorhome and it cannot be driven because one part is needed. Especially if it is not over 20 years old. MH's are not like cars. You could buy a 2010 anymake and still have to do some searching for parts.
I'm going for the 2000-2003 Windsor or Dynasty.

I didn't mean it couldn't be driven, but mainly to fix a few odd and ends such as broken trim, missing lower ladder, etc. I plan to update the coach to my taste/needs so I expect a few things to need replaced or repaired along the way.

I'll check out Northwest RV. If I have to play mix and match onsite, I guess I could take a couple days off. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2021, 05:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onrecess View Post
I have found the same thing. I wanted a storage door for a 2005. They had several RVs on the website. They said not available. Every part I have asked for, same story. The only exception was a ladder... They will only sell the rear cap for 3k. I always laugh when people advise checking there.
So I guess I'm not the only one, thanks!

Wow, $3K for a read cap when I only need the ladder...lol...that $800 from Rev looks a lot better suddenly ..
Old 09-14-2021, 09:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I’ve personally never had a major concern about sourcing parts. As you can see from our thread, we’ve completed quite a few projects and it’s never been an issue at all. Sometimes you have to search around a little.

On the chassis side it’s almost all common to heavy trucks. So no issues here, even with a 20+ year old coach.

On the coach side almost everything is used between manufactures or at least between Monaco models. About the only thing I can think of that might be more challenging to source is body related parts. Some good options like NW RV Supply have been given. Another I can suggest is Veurink’s RV Center (https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/) they were a huge Monaco dealer back in the day and still carry parts. You can also request parts from them. Most well cared for coaches should not need many body panels or parts, and even if they did these tend to be easier to repair on your own.

As an aside RV ladders are produced by a third party vendor. Monaco doesn’t make their own ladders. There should be tons of sources and options out there.

All the best with your search! Dynasty/Windsor is a sweet spot for sure in the model line up.

Josh
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:38 PM   #7

Bay doors for most coaches are not available. There are body shops that fabricate new doors. Body parts may be hard to find but Fiberglass can be repaired. Buy the coach you like and enjoy!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:00 PM   #8

Guys, just note I'm not looking at anything that needs to be rebuilt. It's just the little stuff this is missing or cracked that I might want to replace.

I do see a use for a 3d printer to maybe make some customer dash pieces or label plates.

There are a lot of ladders out there. I just haven't found a similar folding ladder like found on the 2000 to 200x higher end Monaco's. Maybe it's weird, but I do prefer to replace with a similar kind than just a generic universal from Amazon. A trip to Oregon may be needed for this, but part of the fun for me is the hunt
Old 09-15-2021, 07:20 PM   #9

I think the problem isn't that they don't have lots of the small parts but
they don't want to prowl the lot looking for some phone caller that'll probably never show up or place an order anyway.
Now if you wanted an engine or transmission I bet they'd hop right to work checking and emailing pictures.
Best to go there and prowl the lot yourself. That's what I did.
They seem to be an independent bunch so it pays to stay calm and you
may finally get what you need.

Ray 03 Windsor
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:26 PM   #10

I guess newer Rvs and some folks are doing a ladder delete, No ladder.

Tags
parts