RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #1

V10 oil change--should I use synthetic oil?

My 2011 Vacationer has 8500 miles on it. I'm thinking of switching to maybe Mobil 1 synthetic oil. With the high RPM's I'm seeing that engine turn before advancing transmission gears, would you recommend synthetic? I read so many yes/no's on the value of synthetic oil. But since it's only 7 quarts, cost is not as important as my diesel truck's 15 quarts!

I'm thinking synthetic oil may help what? engine longevity or maybe gas mileage?

What's your opinions?? thanks. Mark

mcaimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaimh View Post
My 2011 Vacationer has 8500 miles on it. I'm thinking of switching to maybe Mobil 1 synthetic oil. With the high RPM's I'm seeing that engine turn before advancing transmission gears, would you recommend synthetic? I read so many yes/no's on the value of synthetic oil. But since it's only 7 quarts, cost is not as important as my diesel truck's 15 quarts!

I'm thinking synthetic oil may help what? engine longevity or maybe gas mileage?

I would like to know the answer to this too, Mark. I was going to ask the Ford Truck service manager when I was over getting mine serviced last week, it has 45000 miles, I cannot imagine it would hurt it for sure, but would like to know if it would help.....

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #3

Mobil 1 is a fine choice, but Exxon suggests following the 3,000 mile oil change interval that Ford recommends. Too often for me.

I've used AMSOIL synthetic 5w20 and their synthetic oil filter in my Ford V10 since 5,000 miles when I bought it and change at their 15,000 miles or 1 year warranted recommendation whichever is first, so I only do 1 oil and filter change compared to 5, saving me lots of time and money. Used oil analysis showed the oil was good for continued use.

Ford Motor Company just completed a fuel economy study and found they improved mpg 6.54% when they switched from Texaco conventional engine oil, transmission fluid and differential oil to AMSOIL synthetic. Based on that, I would expect similar results with Mobil 1 synthetic.

Mobil 1 lists these advantages of synthetic over conventional:
"Mobil 1 keeps your engine running like new with:
advanced wear protection
sludge combating formula to keep engines clean
high-temperature protection
low-temperature start-up protection"
Damon Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Most domestic auto manufacturers recommend oil change intervals of 3500 miles for severe service (taxi cab or heavy towing) and 7000 miles for standard usage. They will also specify a motor oil API spec and weight. You can use any oil that meets or exceeds these specs and keep your warranty intact, even synthetics.

If it was my new motor home, I would use synthetic oil. Under severe service they are superior. Wal-Mart has a good price on 5-quart containers of Mobil 1. They also have their own Super Tech brand synthetic (made by Castrol) at a very good price.

Amsoil makes many good synthetics, but there distribution system puts prices all over the place and it is difficult to find a single quart if you need to add oil at a later date.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Most domestic auto manufacturers recommend oil change intervals of 3500 miles for severe service (taxi cab or heavy towing) and 7000 miles for standard usage.
But for motorhomes, I think it is 3,000 miles. I know it is for the Ford V-10 and the Workhorse.

Quote:
If it was my new motor home, I would use synthetic oil. Under severe service they are superior. Wal-Mart has a good price on 5-quart containers of Mobil 1. They also have their own Super Tech brand synthetic (made by Castrol) at a very good price.
Super Tech synthetic is fine. But it has been made by a number of suppliers. Typically whichever company who meets the minimum specs at the lowest price. It may or may not be made the same as the company branded synthetic. And it could be a different company depending on the area of the country or the country itself. More info at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1403744&page=9 . You can try calling the phone number for tech/MSDS support on the back of the bottle and see which company answers and ask.

Quote:
Amsoil makes many good synthetics, but there distribution system puts prices all over the place and it is difficult to find a single quart if you need to add oil at a later date.
Actually all wholesale prices (dealer, retailer, commercial, preferred customer) are the same beginning at $4.44 a quart for full synthetic. At retail, MSRP starts at $6.10. A single quart can be purchased at a dozen warehouses, approximately 70,000 dealers, and thousands of stores and installers. AMSOIL.com has a look up by your zip code or address for the nearest supplier. Or you can order and it frequently arrives overnight at your doorstep.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Our first motorhome was a Jayco Melbourne B+, with a Ford V10. I changed oil every 5,000 miles, and used synthetic every time. I wouldn't skimp on this as it's only once or twice a year for most people. We never had an engine problem. I followed the same schedule with my GM Duramax diesel for 130,000 mi, no problems at all.
Rusty1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty1014 View Post
Our first motorhome was a Jayco Melbourne B+, with a Ford V10. I changed oil every 5,000 miles, and used synthetic every time. I wouldn't skimp on this as it's only once or twice a year for most people. We never had an engine problem. I followed the same schedule with my GM Duramax diesel for 130,000 mi, no problems at all.
Do you know what the factory recommended oil change intervals were for both engines? I'm pretty sure the diesel engine will be much longer than the gas engine. I'd stick with the manufacturers recommended interval unless you use an oil and filter that is warranted for longer than that. A lot of testing and historical data goes into determining those intervals.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:22 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just took my 2011 Bounder into the dealer for a couple recalls and had them do an oil change while they had it and they informed me they use synthetic oil. Local Ford dealership by the way.
hyder2300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #9

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning toward synthetic. I wonder if Costco sells synthetic 5/20 wt? I'll also ask my Ford dealer. Mark
mcaimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #10

Synthetic oils tend to be much more slippery, so you should see lower operating temperatures. The only downside is that if you have a small leak, when you change to a synthetic you will have a large one.

Check to make sure your engine is not sweating at any of the seals, if not, a synthetic is preferable for high workload engines.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
I think the "heavy service" interval on the diesel was 5k miles, and the Ford V10 was 7500 in normal use. I elected 5k plus synthetic as an arbitrary choice, but it worked for me. I think the deciding factor on the V10 was, the change happened twice a year.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #12

I have a '99 f350 with the triton v10. I'm the 2nd owner. The orig owner ran synthetic and im continuing with synthetic. 104,000 miles and runs like new.
Kunysz513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaimh View Post

What kind of engine do you have? I have the V10 and it holds 6 qts. I also use Mobile1, per HD ford truck center
Old 04-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwhit View Post
What kind of engine do you have? I have the V10 and it holds 6 qts. I also use Mobile1, per HD ford truck center
V10 per thread title. I think my V10 holds 7 quarts.

Tags
v10