Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Question Vacationer Jacks

We have a 34 PDD with the three jack system (two rear) on center forward. Have replaced both rear jacks but cocach still seems to "wobble" after 24 hours on jack support.

1) Is this common?
2) Has anyone converted to a four jack system?
R Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not think the 4 jack system will help you all that much.. Some 4 jack systems are really 3 jack in disguise (I have one) Now that said I like the 4 jack much better for other reasons, but what they do is plumb both front jacks to the same control valve so if you extend them half way, then push one up, the other goes down.

There are reasons it gets wobbly and frankly more jacks won't help in this.

Soft ground causes not the front so much but the REAR jacks to sink in a bit, these are the ones that handle side to side.

Or a valve (or jack seal) leaks a bit and causes them to retract slightly.

The last, is fixable.. The first, not so much.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:00 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Get used to it, R Bell. My Vacationer 34PDD does the same thing and has since day one. Our rigs also ride on a leaf spring chassis and not air bags. Many owners of airbag equipped chassis can air down and create a more solid platform when parked. Our leaf springs will flex under some circumstances which adds to the problem. As others have said, dirt and gravel surfaces will also tend to sometimes compress and give way after parking on them for a while.

Its also not likely cost effective to try to switch to a four jack system considering the current fair market values of our rigs. Four jack units on some rigs also experience "windshield pop out" if improper deployment of the jacks cause a twist in the frame. That's why the three jack system always deploys the front jack first before lowering the rear jacks. That allows the coach to pivot on the front jack during the leveling process thereby reducing much of the stress on the frame.

So, basically its the nature of the beast. I know a LaPalma owner (identical to our Vacationers) that experiences the same issue. My rig is actually sometimes more stable if I can park on a level surface and not deploy the jacks. And one last piece of advice: Make sure you extend your l/r slide before you try to level. Our l/r slide is cable operated and any twisting of the frame cause by jack deployment may cause the room's cables to fray and break - but that's a whole 'nother topic!

Bruce LaHargoue
'06 HR Vacationer 34PDD/Cummins ISB
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the very informative information. Guess there are many things to learn.
R Bell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, holiday rambler, jacks