RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2020, 02:12 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Vanity Sink Slow to Drain

Hi Folks!

My bathroom sink is always slow to drain. If I pour a bit of acid down it, it clears up but is still slow to drain. This makes me wonder if it can be re-plumbed or something to fix it? Even putting a small amount of shaving bits down it causes problems

It makes me wonder if it's the plumbing design itself.... ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200124_120952331.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	273149  

Bob Jones - 2000 Monaco Diplomat
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2020, 02:39 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Have you removed that 'P' trap and checked it?

Old 01-24-2020, 04:12 PM   #3

Every is plumbed right. Yeah P trap may be clogged . The air atmitancc valve maybe not working, but doesn't usually slow just a bit water like a low flow faucet running too bad . Definitely affects dumping sink full more..
Put a pot under trap and remove scrub the scrum out. Keep pot there until you verify it doest leak. If trap was not plugged remove the valve and test the flow. It might let some smell in. Some hot soapy water may unstick the valves works.They are cheap if bad.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting!

Thanks for the tips - never thought of taking out the U-Shaped piece and cleaning it

I took it out and cleaned it, but....it was not really dirty. Just a bit of scum. With that piece off, and a bucket underneath, I then filled the sink up a bit and drained it into a bucket. Same thing. Therefore, the problem must be between the P-trap and the sink itself.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:40 PM   #5

Wife's sink has long hair clog hanging from the drain stopper. When she complains about slow draining I remove the stopper to pull up and out the clog.
WantAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:48 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I think the problem may be the very level cross pipe that goes to the down tube. I would cut about one inch off of the down tube coming from the sink into the curved trap. That would allow you to elevate the trap thus putting a little slope on it to allow water to drain faster....just sayin!
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
By "slope on it...", I meant slope on the cross pipe.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:57 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
PS: if that doesn't work I would suspect a venting problem. Maybe, before cutting anything, remove the stack vent to see if that improves it. If it does, replace the vent and forget my tilted pipe idea.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
PS: if that doesn't work I would suspect a venting problem. Maybe, before cutting anything, remove the stack vent to see if that improves it. If it does, replace the vent and forget my tilted pipe idea.
Reread post #4. Slow draining with P-trap removed.
WantAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I think I found the problem !

But I have to say, isn't that a poor design that it clogs up all the time? Thanks for the excellent advice, BTW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200124_150548761.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	273167  

Old 01-24-2020, 06:37 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Much thanks everyone !!

I cleaned it all out so that it's spotless and when I reassembled everything I said to myself, 'self, I bet you can get the stopper to raise up higher and it will flow more water'.

Well, sure enough, after a bit of monkeying the stopper now comes up to the maximum and it's WAY higher than before. So I filled up the sink and then hit the plunger and holy - it made sucking noises and created a large vortex as it drained! Damn near sucked me in !!!

The plunger was never opening like that. I'm guessing that will exacerbate the pugging problem because it slows down the flow so much. Anyway, much thanks, one more issue that has been bugging me for some time cased !

Old 01-24-2020, 06:59 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Usually it’s a glob of hair just under the bowl. The DW complained of slow draining of her sink this morning. Unscrewed the nut that holds the arm that raises and lowers the stopper to remove it. Sure enough a buildup of hair was restricting the drain. Took a kitchen knife and scraped all the stuff out...problem solved.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:00 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
The pop-up is the most frequent cause of sluggish lav drains. If you're looking at the P-trap, you watch too much TV! That magical see-thru P-trap is just a gimmick to sell high priced nasty stuff that doesn't work very well anyway. Blockages in drains are almost NEVER in the trap, and the fall of the piping isn't critical. At least that's my experience as a retired master plumber. The linkage in the drain mechanism is an invitation for accumulation of hair and goop from soap. Different styles of linkage will accumulate at varying rates, but most will require periodic regular maintenance.
Bsipe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:04 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsipe01 View Post
The linkage in the drain mechanism is an invitation for accumulation of hair and goop from soap. Different styles of linkage will accumulate at varying rates, but most will require periodic regular maintenance.
Yep, I recently discovered that in one of my house vanity sinks.

My coach, they used stoppers without the internal rods that open and close it.
I assumed Bob's vanity sink was the same.