Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2017, 03:58 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Vehicle title/licensed in S.D but live in another state question

I'm not looking to start an argument over right or wrong just looking for some feed back, and no I'm not wanting to do this for any of my on highway vehicles in California.

This question is for anyone who has a South Dakota license plate on their RV and lives in another state with a drivers license from that state. Have you ever been pulled over in Arizona with this situation and how did the HP or police react to you vehicle being licensed in S.D. as long as you had registration and insurance?

If you would rather PM me that's fine with me.

If you wondering why I ask this check out this thread of mine. Riding SxS on road legally in AZ ( 1 2)
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The only reason to have a vehicle registered in South Dakota would be: A.) You live there. B.) You are a full timer and chose to use S.D. as an address/registration because it's a savings in registration and/or taxes. In either case, you should also get a S.D. driver's license since your vehicle is registered there.

More and more states are paying attention to RVs registered in another state but being stored or parked for long periods of time in their state. Massachusetts and N.Y. both have identified and dealt with folks trying this to avoid their fees and taxes. For peace of mind, it would be best to have all vehicles on ground and being towed to have matching state registration. A bored local LEO might decide to inquire why a CA RV is pulling a S.D. SxS, motorcycle, or 4 wheeler.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:22 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The answer to you question depends on a lot of issues as to why. If you are trying to not pay the high registration fees in California, what you need to worry about is getting caught in CA with the motorhome. Having lived there most of my life I can tell you a lot of people try to wait as long as they can to register the vehicle and have been caught and fined big time for it, and it not just motorhomes. If you own property out of state you might be able to register it in that state, I don't know what would happen in CA if they find you staying or storing it there with an out of state license.

A couple of months ago this question was asked and received a lot of good advice you might try searching for that one. One thing that did come out is that it doesn't matter to the LEO's that your vehicle has a different state registration.

NC the state that I currently live required that you have a current NC drivers license to register a vehicle or you have to fill out a form in order to register it without a NC license. This form was somewhat obscure and you had to attest that you own property here.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Please re-read my thread regarding SxS. SxS are not allowed on the road in Calif. so unless Leo's are cruising dirt trails it's a not issue (I also would remove the S.D. plate when riding the trails in Calif or trailering the SxS). All I need is a off road sticker and I have that. And I'm not trying to license the motorhome in S.D. My sole intent in licensing the SxS in S.D. is they do not require you be a resident and they allow you to ride your SxS on certain roads in the state. There are other states like AZ that also let you ride on certain roads and being it's licensed in S.D. they would honor that plate in their state.

Randy your comment about Leo's not caring as to state registered is what I was asking in my original post. Thank you.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #5

Ok ohvs need individual sticker (red or green depending on emissions) or license plates for whichever states you wish to ride in. As I understand it arizona have off road and on road plates for ohvs. California have stickers depending on emissions. Having an ohv licensed in SD is a nonissue. Cars and trucks different issue.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote