Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2018, 08:41 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Veterans and Federal camping

Some one told me there are 1/2 price RV parks for veterans is this true? And if so how do you find them. And is there a pass you can get so you can enter all federal parks for no charge? Iím a Vietnam (not disabled) veteran 67 year old fart.
Thanks to all that respond!
allbrand1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #2

There is a lifetime pass for seniors. It costs $70. We bought ours at the entrance to a NP.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:59 AM   #3

Nearly all military bases have (RV) camp grounds, Air Farce calls them "FamCamps", other bases use different names. Most are not open to veterans unless you are disabled and possibly some other restrictions made by the local commander. Most of the RV parks are as nice as or better than a lot of civilian parks. They, like most other parks in desirable places, are really getting crowed and hard to get into. Check out "Military Parks and Campgrounds" not run by the military for the complete story, including a listing of most military parks. It is run by a military retiree and is free to view.
Hope that helps.
Catfish
j2catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
There is a lifetime pass for seniors. It costs $70. We bought ours at the entrance to a NP.
I have this pass but have never tried
using it for camping .
It seems like it was only $10 when I
bought it but even at $70 it's a deal
Recently when visiting Yellowstone I
showed the pass and they waved us
right on in , motorhome , toad & all .
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:13 AM   #5

It really sux that those of us serving a 4 year enlistment are completely forgotten. Unless you're a lifer or disabled you don't matter.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #6

That is why I donít shop at Home Depot they donít care that I served my country. But thank you Loweís they do. Army recon scout 1969-1971
Old 04-29-2018, 11:44 AM   #7

You should ask at Home Depot again. I get a 10% discount at mine nearby. Just a 3 yr service Vietnam Era.
theBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2catfish View Post
Nearly all military bases have (RV) camp grounds, Air Farce calls them "FamCamps", other bases use different names. Most are not open to veterans unless you are disabled and possibly some other restrictions made by the local commander. ...
Right, FamCamps are restricted to those entitled to MRW benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
It really sux that those of us serving a 4 year enlistment are completely forgotten. Unless you're a lifer or disabled you don't matter.
It is not that you are forgotten, it is just that you can't have everything. Were the shoe on the other foot, the complaint would be "I did my 20" or "I am 100% SC disabled" and get nothing.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:59 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Camped in just about every state east of the Mississippi River and haven't found a campground offering 50% veteran, active duty or retiree. Rare to find one not offer at least 10% but that's the same discount you can also get with a Good Sam, FMCA, Passport America,,, membership.

Have stayed at several military campgrounds (retire USN) and the per night cost was about the same as other government CG's in the area. $30 to $40 a night.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgesmith View Post
You should ask at Home Depot again. I get a 10% discount at mine nearby. Just a 3 yr service Vietnam Era.
Yep, HD has the same 10% for veterans that Lowes does.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Well that's not true, but if you want the benefits available to those who served 20+ years then serve 20+ years, not 4.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #12

Sweetbriar, I agree 100% with you 20-30 year lifer or disable veterans should get everything no questions asked. I see people are saying that Home Depot has given them a discount but I can tell you they donít do it in Florida Iíve tried four or five stores they all say they want to see my VA card showing that I am disabled
Old 04-29-2018, 07:12 PM   #13

As a disabled vet, you are entitled to a "Golden Access Passport" for no charge. It allows you to camp at federal sites (Corps of Engineers, etc.) for 50% off. Also, you can gain free access to other federal parks and facilities. Check out https://www.nps.gov/wica/planyourvis...ccess-card.htm. Also being a disabled vet, I got one years ago and it has been great!
stallsmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:10 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I am retired Army (now a PFC, Private Fuxxxxg Civilian) and a DAV. Famcamps can be great to why am I here? Charges seem to be based on location. Ft Meade (MD) cost is higher than most, but is close to DC. If you spend time in Florida, any veteran can get a Florida pass that gives free access to any Florida State park, NIC camping charges. Also, don't forget to ask for military discount at food places. Most will give 10% (as do most camp sites).

Tags
camping