Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
That's an interesting solution! I like it. Can you give any more details on it? Is this the M series tiny desktop?

Has anybody tried running VMSpc on a Windows 8 tablet? A small tablet seems like it would be an ideal platform. And who knows if/when Andriod or iOS tablets will be supported, they've been talking about it a long tim...
From the Silverleaf website
-Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, or 8. Windows 95 users require a special version.

I run vmspc on an old windows touchscreen running windows 2000. Usable touchscreen tablets are available from ebay.

Fred
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #44

Sorry if I seem to be lagging behind in the VMSpc conversation but I have a few questions if someone could clarify please;

The Silverleaf website isn't really the easiest to navigate through....

Am I to understand that the OS is NOT compatible with my iPod? Are they close to releasing a product that is?
(I hate to buy it now if something for Apple is not too far off)

OK - so lets assume that its back to Windows for presentation.... does someone have a pic of a laptop table that you are using that works in the drivers area?

Thanks Adam.
Adam Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
From the Silverleaf website
-Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, or 8. Windows 95 users require a special version.
I know what the web site says, I want to know if anyone's actually used it with a Windows 8 tablet. There's a difference between running, and working well. I guess my question should've been clearer. It works well on my Windows XP laptop, but that's a huge heavy 17" screen, and not really suitable for dash-top use. (It's got a full-size (not squashed keys) keyboard with a full numerical keypad on the side, which gives you an idea of how big it really is!) So I got a tiny little net book computer last year, which runs Windows 7. It works, but not well: every control has a thick white border around it, which makes it difficult to create a nice layout. I even went so far as to create a nice layout on the one machine, and copied to the other, and nothing fit or lined up any more. The thick border really messes things up, and wastes precious screen real estate which becomes more of an issue as the screen gets smaller.

So I'll rephrase my question: does anybody actually use a Windows 8 tablet for VMSpc, and how well does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hunter View Post
Am I to understand that the OS is NOT compatible with my iPod? Are they close to releasing a product that is?
(I hate to buy it now if something for Apple is not too far off)
No iPod support. They've been talking about an iOS version for a while. They have an iPad version now, but it's not even close to the Windows version, and from the discussion on their forums it looks like it never will be similar. You cannot customize the screen on the iPad version, you just get the information and layout that they coded. In my mind, the customization is a very important feature. For that reason, I've not bothered to look for and download the iPad version.

They are now talking about a potential Android version coming down the line. I hope it's not going to be the same as the iPad version.

Looks like it's Windows or nothing for the foreseeable future...
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #46

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hunter View Post
OK - so lets assume that its back to Windows for presentation.... does someone have a pic of a laptop table that you are using that works in the drivers area?
Thanks Adam.
Diplomat Don built a nice table. DiplomatDon's VMSpc mounting platform.

Dr4Film, Richard, used a commercially available RAM mount for his shown in an earlier post in this thread. My mount is shown in an earlier post as well but the picture is not very descriptive. I need to take some additional pictures.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Perhaps a bit late to answer Adam's mounting question... but here is what I did to mount an Asus netbook. I used a piece of 3/16" thick aluminum sheet, cut it to the shape of the window frame and attached it with 4 sheet metal screws to the frame. Then I used Ram Mounting components, including a long arm extension and laptop tray. This allows me to position the netbook so it doesn't interfere with my side mirror.

Cheers,
Glenn
Old 01-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Great idea Glenn!
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote