Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #29
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
a k......My Pioneer is an older unit, AVIC D-1. My remote works well. You can change from radio controls to map controls by hitting one of the green buttons. I really like that I can adjust the radio volume up and down and the GPS voice system up and down with the remote. The other nice feature is I can push one button and have the GPS tell me what the next turn is as many times as I need to. I bought a 2009 update last year from Pioneer. They finally came down in price.

I've never heard of Cummins Insite. Is it a program you buy. Can I boost horsepower and torque?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #30
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Dr4Film.....If you can't find a mount and your dash is the same as mine, I'll make the supports for you.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:25 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
For all you getting ready to set up a VMSpc with the USB adapter I would like to pass along a tip that may save you some time. I had trouble getting mine to work and discovered that the USB adapter from SilverLeaf does not like Com port numbers higher than 9. My XP software was automatically selecting COM 12 and I ended up changing it manually down to COM 9 to get things to work.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Dr4Film.....If you can't find a mount and your dash is the same as mine, I'll make the supports for you.
Don,

Thanks very much for the offer however our two dash's are not identical. The bracket going to the shift panel looks like about the same location but the other two are in a much different position.

I will look around for a different mount possibly one from RAM or have a local welder make something up that would fit my specific dash in close to the same location. I think I would like mine to sit just a little bit higher and further away from the steering wheel towards the window.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0362.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	5106  
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:40 AM   #33

well, i finally got off my duff and purchased the vmspc. thanks don and bob for all the info! i'm far from done on my setup but sure did enjoy it it on our trip from mi. to fla.(arrived yesterday) i thought i would pass along some info on a aux. monitor i purchased that sure made locating easy. www.doublesight.com has a 9" and a 7" usb monitor available. one wire usb connection no other power source needed! i paid $129.99 free shipping for the 9" model ps the only thing i didn't enjoy was watching the fuel consumption jim.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	6199  
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:01 AM   #34
JDT

BeaverJim, I'm very electronically challenged but this monitor interests me. I am clueless as to how it works, that is, how does it get and maintain the VMSpc screen and how do you change or reset something, like the tank minder?
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:13 AM   #35

jim, the 9" doublesight monitor is a aux. monitor running off your laptop which is recieving the info from the vmspc. my laptop is left sitting in a remote location where i can get to it to make any changes! hope that helped. jim
Old 10-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just bought a 10 inch ASUS and built a small removable shelf at the left side of the dash. Does not block the view and easy to see. The shelf is held in place by Velcro. The module is attached to the drivers sidewall, underneath. Picked monitor up at best buy with XP installed for about 235.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #37
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
beaverjim......Looks good, very clean installation. I really like the info it provides while driving. I can also read all of the info without my glasses. It's great for monitoring RPM and gear selection when hill climbing. I was amazed to see how close the Allison temp runs to the engine temp. The stock gauges are terrible for giving accurate temps.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:10 AM   #38

don, funny you mentioned the allison temp. that's one of the reasons i purchased the vmspc. i have one of the bad ruptured radiators that monaco came back and fixed the problem by adding an aux trans cooler in lieu of replacing the radiator. that said the problem lies with addition of a horton clutch fan which is thermo controlled from the engine coolant temp.there are times the trans temp. will come up quicker than engine temp. that required installing a manual override switch for the horton fan.the bottom line is the vmspc lets me keep track of the trans temp. easier. on rex's suggestion i'm adding a couple of pics of the simple non invasive mount i made for the doublesight monitor. jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	6217   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	6218  

Old 10-22-2010, 05:10 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Jim,

Outstanding job and nice find on the monitor. I find myself almost never looking at the stock gauges anymore and love that I can tell what gear the Allison is in.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #40

Jim, thanks for the heads up on the usb monitor and your mount for it. I ordered my usb monitor and I should have it on Monday. I have been using the VMSpc with a notebook on the dash, which is not the best place for it. This info was just in time for our trip to Arizona in a week and a half. And as Bob said I almost never look at the stock gauges.
Bob

2000 Discovery 37V
2004 Chevy Silverado
VMSpc and Pressure Pro
mibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
I wanted to share the final installation of my VMSpc project that I took on while staying in Alaska this past summer.

I got to know my analog gauges quite well on the trip up and felt that they were truly only a close approximation of the real values. I used the VMSpc on the way back to CA and I was very impressed with the results. The speedometer and tachometer were the only analog gauges that were accurate. All of the others only give you a rough idea of what's really going on.

I did some playing with the VMSpc screen layout on the way back until I got the screen close to where I like it and it now has most of the information I want to see. There were only two items that I tried but wouldn't work because those features weren't available for my engine. They were the Coolant Level and the Oil Temperature.

I do have some extra space on the current screen where my coach photo is located to include some other type of "gauges" if needed in the future. This installation doesn't interfere with any line of sight needs. I can open and close the driver's window when needed and the mount is ROCK steady, no vibration or movement. One of the best investments amongst others that I have made for the coach.

I have included a bunch of photos showing my installation. I used a RAM notebook mount and a Dell 10 inch notebook dedicated to the VMSpc. I also purchased a RAM bottle, cup, can, glass holder to use for my beverages when underway as the space I was previously using was taken up by the RAM notebook mount. The cup holder is a suction mount and can be attached to a smooth part of the dash as the photo shows or I actually attach it to the driver's window most of the time. In addition, I ran a 120 volt extension cable from the overhead component outlet down to the space next to the dash to keep the notebook battery charged when being used.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VMSpc-1.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	6404   Click image for larger version

Name:	VMSpc-3.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	6405  

Name:	VMSpc-4.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	6406   Click image for larger version

Name:	VMSpc-9.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	6407  

Name:	VMSpc-12.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	6408   Click image for larger version

Name:	VMSpc-10.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	6409  

Name:	VMSpc-14.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	6410   Click image for larger version

Name:	VMSpc-8.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	6411  

Name:	Garmin 465T GPS-1.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	6412  
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Richard what is the part # for the ram mount, I can see the tray is a Tough Tray II. That is a neat set up!
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote