Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Voltage issue

I have. a 2006 Monaco Diplomat with a 400 ISL Cummins. Recently my 2 chasis batteries died. I put two new 12 volt batteries in wired negative to negative and positive to positive. I had my alternator checked and they said it needed to be replaced. Replaced the alternator.
Now my steps sometimes retract and extend quickly and sometimes they take 20 to 30 seconds to operate. My step cut out switch to leave the steps extended also quit. Also sometimes when I turn on my battery cutout switch my marker lights and dash lights flash for about a minute. Any idea’s where I should look for the problem?
Bill1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2019, 10:15 AM   #2

Ground connection........
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #3

I would start by checking all the ground connections .
Strange electrical happenings are often ground problems .
Sometime when you lose a ground connection the components
associated with that circuit will seek a ground through another
component in this case it may be why your lights flash .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
YC1

Unfortunately it looks like you have several issues which is very common. Getting the batteries and alternator sorted out is great.

Your current issue may be grounds as suggested and I spent some time trying to find every ground point on the rv.

You may have more than one problem still. The light flashing may be do to a security system falsing. This caused by either a ground or voltage issues.

One item that can cause all kinds of misery is the "salesman switch". Using this generic term you can do a search in the little green box above and get lots of information on that.

Basically, a switch near the entry operates a solenoid/relay to shut off lots of components. The relays often fail and many people bypass them for various reasons.

All too often someone decides it is the switch when in reality it is the solenoid. The solenoid on yours may be below the driver IN the outside compartment.

With your issues you may have separate problems but often solving one resolves the others. I have had to replace the controller on my steps and the motor itself twice.

I can't remember if the steps are on the "salesman switch" circuit but it only takes a second to test that.

I hope this sheds a little light. The Search feature using the little green box with google inside should come up with pages of fun reading.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:32 AM   #5

On my 06 Diplomat the marker lights and some dash lights always flash as you described when I turn the battery on and/or when using the key fob.

Admirial RVr

Don T.
AdmiralRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:10 PM   #6

Look in the right front wheel well and see if there are a bunch of wire looms, The front of that wheel well may have a ground for the step. If so it will be corroded.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote