RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2020, 05:14 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wandering 2+2

Well,

Have the Watts kit for just the front coming for our 2008 HR 40PDQ. I have been changing shocks on the front. The rearward front shocks not to bad. The forward shocks a real pain! Hope this helps the ride! The Monroe’s coming off are just plain toast and 35k on the odometer. Hope to complete all next week and head south for the Month of November!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2020, 11:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The Watts system is designed to make the coach track straight and decrease wandering.
Many coach owners are reporting a smoother ride with four Koni shocks on the front but they are twice the price of Bilsteins.

What model is your Holiday Rambler? The big coaches (Navigator and Imperial) can use a larger 315/80-R22.5 front tire and run lower tire pressure. This is the single largest ride improvement I've seen.
Regardless, weigh your coach (front and back) and adjust the tire pressures according to the tire manufacturers weight chart.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:44 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55 View Post
Well,

Have the Watts kit for just the front coming for our 2008 HR 40PDQ. I have been changing shocks on the front. The rearward front shocks not to bad. The forward shocks a real pain! Hope this helps the ride! The Monroe’s coming off are just plain toast and 35k on the odometer. Hope to complete all next week and head south for the Month of November!
To back up what Vito said, if you put Michelin 275/80R 22.5 tires on the front of your coach you can run a lower air pressure than the other brands that will fit the front of your coach. I know some don't like the Michelin's because of sidewall cracking and their price, but we run them to improve the ride. Weigh the front of your coach and then check the load tables for the Michelin 275/80R and you will see what I am talking about. By the way, Michelin is the only company that makes the 275/80R 22.5 anymore. If you go with another brand it will be 295/75R 22.5.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:27 PM   #4

I installed the front Watts link kit and new Bilstein shocks a couple weeks ago. That was much fun!!!! I am heading south this week and will give a review after the drive.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:40 PM   #5

There were issues on install, but I do feel it is unFair to review it until after a road trip. Ultimately the install was completed as designed mostly and seems to be in alignment based on markings as delivered!
Old 11-05-2020, 07:11 PM   #6

Let me start by saying 2008 HR 40PDQ.

“It was wonderful stress free drive from N. GA. To Florida today” !

After my issues with the Watts install the coach preformed so much better! One handed most the trip!

My issues with the install were several.

Do not mount the center brackets behind the Jack plate! Disregard the instructions and install over the center Jack plate! If installed behind, the Jack is to wide and will not allow clearance to the H frame!

My next hurdle was the left thread tie rod ends! Unlike the right thread ends they would not screw completely into the adjuster rods! No mater how much lube oil, wrenches and vises!

Mike did a great thing and marked the center pivot with a sharpie to show final alignment position.

I almost aborted to call him and complain! He had just got back from vacation and rushed shipped the kit to us.

I decided to test fit one with left way out and right almost fully in. Well the fit was spot on. So I proceeded with the driver side and ended up with perfect alignment based on the sharpie marks on the center pivot.

I felt good about it and did not call him. Felt better today after the trip! I just wish I had replaced the original Monroe shocks first then give a test drive. As it turns out, I did both front shocks and Watts at the same time, but have a big smile today!!!!

Now to the rear! I know the original Monroe shocks are junk and will replace them! Do I do the Watts on the rear or just the cross bars?
Old 11-06-2020, 07:07 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55 View Post
Let me start by saying 2008 HR 40PDQ.

“It was wonderful stress free drive from N. GA. To Florida today” !

After my issues with the Watts install the coach preformed so much better! One handed most the trip!

My issues with the install were several.

Do not mount the center brackets behind the Jack plate! Disregard the instructions and install over the center Jack plate! If installed behind, the Jack is to wide and will not allow clearance to the H frame!

My next hurdle was the left thread tie rod ends! Unlike the right thread ends they would not screw completely into the adjuster rods! No mater how much lube oil, wrenches and vises!

Mike did a great thing and marked the center pivot with a sharpie to show final alignment position.

I almost aborted to call him and complain! He had just got back from vacation and rushed shipped the kit to us.

I decided to test fit one with left way out and right almost fully in. Well the fit was spot on. So I proceeded with the driver side and ended up with perfect alignment based on the sharpie marks on the center pivot.

I felt good about it and did not call him. Felt better today after the trip! I just wish I had replaced the original Monroe shocks first then give a test drive. As it turns out, I did both front shocks and Watts at the same time, but have a big smile today!!!!

Now to the rear! I know the original Monroe shocks are junk and will replace them! Do I do the Watts on the rear or just the cross bars?
I have both the rear Watts link and the crossbars. Installed in this order: crossbars, front Watts, swap to TRW, rear Watts. I would recommend installing the crossbars first and take a few trips to decide if you want to do more. You can read my comments and impressions on the rear watts link by going to post #1694 in the following link.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/wan...24491-121.html

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I installed the cross bars, rear watts link and front watts link a few weeks ago and just completed a camping trip to Fort Clinch which was a 350 mile run. My 08 Diplomat handled much better than before and feel the mods should be considered for those wanting to reduce the wandering of their coach. I'm thinking the TRW steering mod may not be needed now. The passing semi truck bow wave push is no longer felt and the steering effort is greatly reduced allowing one handed steering to enjoy your morning coffee while driving. I usually tow my F150 with Harley trike in back and did not tow on my first outing with the watts link installed. I suspect my towing will now not be the usual snaking down the road and will be greatly improved. I'll provide feedback on my towing experience once I get that trip completed.

The left thread tie rod end installation into the tie rod is tedious and requires lots of force working the end back and forth with lots of lubrication to cut the threads in the rod correctly. Mike Hughes thinks the tie rod ends (made in China) are not straight causing the binding which may be right. I can just tell you it took a long time and many back and forth in the vice with crescent wrench on the the tie rod end to get threaded all the way in to the rod. As stated in earlier post I did have to put the front link brackets on top of the jack plate to allow sufficient clearance with the H frame. It took me 5 times as long to do the install as indicated on the installation instructions. You will need a flexible tube grease gun to get to the grease fittings. I found the quality of the kits to be superb except for the tie rod end assembly.