Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #645

Monaco Owners Club
I can't wait to get started. Thanks for following up with Van on the U-bolt size.

Roy

Wish I were there. I love gumbo!!
rmcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2014, 05:57 AM   #646

All y'all--

5U-1201S is indeed the correct number for the U-bolts from Nick's Truck Parts. The nuts are extra-height 1/2-20 (fine thread), and the U-bolts come with very thick, hardened washers. The nuts are not locking nuts, so put a dab of Loctite Blue on them when assembling.

As to replacing bushings--on any bushing replacement job on the Monaco, removing the bolts is the difficult part. They are frequently rusted solid to their brackets, and if the bushings in the rear have the thin metal sleeve, the bolts will be rusted to them as well. Although I have welded up fixtures to help remove the bolts, it is much, much easier if you remove the wheels. Good luck with that, too! All truck tire shops tighten the lugs with 1" impact wrenches on their max setting using air pressure typically 50 PSI over what the wrench is rated for. They are a bear to break loose. But once loose, when you reinstall them to the rated torque, they can be gotten off fairly easily. I've been told by the truck shop that Budd Wheel Co. says do not put anti-seize on the threads, and I understand the reason, but I did it anyway. I have re-checked my lug nuts several times and none have loosened.

Re-aligning the holes after replacing bushings--I understand your hesitation. I can only say that was never once a problem on any I have done. I sawed off a bolt to be about 1-1/2" long under the head and machined a taper onto its end to use as an alignment tool, but never used it.

Brace length and type of tubing--I have found that most coaches from 36 to 42 feet use one of three brace lengths--48", 51", 53", measured from center-to-center of the rod ends. The vast majority I've made were 51" long. Also, for those so inclined, DOM tubing is available that is heavier wall and/or larger diameter. I do not think the heavier tubing is required, and have not made braces from anything other than 1.25 OD x .125 wall. Jim Sanderson (1995 Dynasty) is the only person with a heavier brace, which he fabricated himself AFTER replacing all (20) bushings with the ATRO bushings. He noted that the bushing change alone made a HUGE difference. I made mounting plates for him to use which would accommodate the 3/4" rod ends he chose.

Front P-rod stiffener--I cannot say I've evaluated this well enough to recommend it. Although I hurriedly installed it on my 2000 Dynasty 36 before leaving for Albany/Perry last week, I also installed rear braces at the same time. Not a very scientific test, and as I’ve said frequently my coach is not a good test coach since it has the later style bushings and did not wander appreciably to start with. My 1993 Dynasty 36 had the older style bushings and was absolutely “road wild”, even though all its bushings were in perfect condition when removed and replaced with ATRO bushings. The reason for trying the P-rod stiffener was two-fold. Primarily, it was driven by trying to find something that was adaptable to the front end. The trailing arms at the front of the coach do not lend themselves to crossed braces because of generator placement on post-1993 models. Secondly, myself and a couple of my buddies found it unmistakable that simply replacing P-rod bushings ONLY, and using ATRO bushings would bring an immense improvement in almost all pre-2000 coaches. Although that improvement was conclusively proven to be largely due to replacing the REAR P-rod bushings, it made sense that the problem existed in the front suspension as well, but just to a lesser extent. I will say that one of my buddies suggested tying the stiffener rigidly to the P-rod at one or more places along its length. I won't go into why that seems like such a good idea, but I'm going to machine something to do just that when I get home.

Again, I will make braces for anyone, at least for a while longer. I've made enough of them to prove out the principle. If anyone cannot fabricate the parts themselves, I’m happy to do so, but I'm even happier if you can do it yourself. I’m not trying to make money from these things. I just want to help folks and to gather data about how certain improvements work. If you can fabricate your own braces, I encourage you to do so, and I’ll help in any way I can. All I ask is that you reply with how they worked for you.

Van W. 2000 Dynasty 36, presently at FMCA/Perry, GA
Eastern NC
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #647

Monaco Owners Club
Van,
Thank you very much for all the pertinent info. I am ordering my parts now to make braces up for my 07 Diplomat 38.ft.
Regards
Roy
Old 03-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #648

I found something interesting online. It looks like the Foretravel rides on an H frame system. Looking at the Foretravel website, it looks like they made changes in 2006 though. http://www.beamalarm.com/Documents/r...djustment.html

The link above looks just like the roadmaster set up. I wonder if that chassis had more than 1 p rod. I also remember some of the Magnum Chassis from the older Safari coaches having an 8 bag h frame setup. It would be interesting to see a comparison between the 3 h frame setups and see what the other manufactures were doing different.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:13 AM   #649

Monaco Owners Club
Vanwill,
I received all of the x-brace components listed on the BOM from QS Components. The only question I have is where to use the cone spacers?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:22 PM   #650

Glenn, the spacers go between the mounting plate and the rod end. They are to give the rod end a bit more angular movement before bottoming out against the mounting plate. The smaller side goes toward the rod end.

Van W. 2000 Dynasty 36
Eastern NC
Old 03-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #651

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hopefully these pictures will help.

The cone end of the spacers allows the rod to swivel as shown here without the spacers interfering.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cross Brace 4.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	58856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cross Brace 2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	58857  

Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:39 AM   #652

Monaco Owners Club
Got it. The swivel seemed like it provided a fair amount of clearance for movement and I was thinking that the rods wouldn't move much torsionally but I suppose it doesn't hurt to give them as much room to move as possible.

Work in progress, installing new shocks at the same time and unfortunately I still have to to keep my day job for another 6 years so I'll report back in about a week with the final results. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #653

Here is an update on the materials required for the crossed brace installation. It includes the revisions necessary to use the U-bolts. Note that the sketch for the brackets has changed, and a second plate is no longer needed, due to the U-bolts.

I have some questions from several of you, and I will answer you by Monday. We just returned from the Perry, GA FMCA rally and I've been gone from home for over two weeks. I've got a lot to catch up on here.

As always, I'll be happy to help any of you in any way I can.

Van W. 2000 Dynasty 36
Eastern NC
Old 03-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #654
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Here is an update on the materials required for the crossed brace installation. It includes the revisions necessary to use the U-bolts. Note that the sketch for the brackets has changed, and a second plate is no longer needed, due to the U-bolts.

I have some questions from several of you, and I will answer you by Monday. We just returned from the Perry, GA FMCA rally and I've been gone from home for over two weeks. I've got a lot to catch up on here.

As always, I'll be happy to help any of you in any way I can.

Van W. 2000 Dynasty 36
Eastern NC
Van,
Thanks for the updated BOM. This should help the few that are interested in building their own.

Darin
Old 03-30-2014, 08:35 PM   #655

Monaco Owners Club
New Braces Installed

Vanwill,
Got my braces fabbed and installed. I didn't think my coach exhibited much tail wagging before, but this mod definitely improves handling. Thanks very much for such a great design.
I wound up with 51" braces and used 2 3/4" bolts for mounting the joints to the brackets. One brace was mounted U-bolt ends up and one U-bolt ends down, which seems to give adequate clearance.
Here are some pictures of my braces and the final installation. Happy to help anyone in my area wanting to do their own.
Regards,
Roy and Debbie
07 Diplomat 38PDQ
Sacramento
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0011.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	59535   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0012.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	59536  

Name:	DSCN0016.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	59537   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0018.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	59538  

Old 03-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #656

Monaco Owners Club
Are those the new shocks I see on there, or were you just polishing the old ones? With the braces and the new shocks you will be ready for the race track. You will definitely have a flat handling coach.

Can't wait for the report after your next road trip.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #657

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, I put those Bilsteins on that I got from e-shocks. Had to make a tool to hold the double-D end of the shock stud so I could tighten the nuts using a ratcheting end wrench. A little tight for someone my size.
Yes, with the new tires, new shocks and now trailing arm braces, my coach handles and rides a lot better.
Now just have to trace down a pesky leak that shows up inside the rear cap at about floor level or slightly below on both sides. I have resealed the awning rails, plastic molding below it, front and rear caps, slideout flanges, windows, and everything else I can think of. Haven't found any threads on this yet, so maybe I'm chasing a non problem.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:16 AM   #658

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcb View Post
Yes, I put those Bilsteins on that I got from e-shocks. Had to make a tool to hold the double-D end of the shock stud so I could tighten the nuts using a ratcheting end wrench. A little tight for someone my size.
Yes, with the new tires, new shocks and now trailing arm braces, my coach handles and rides a lot better.
Now just have to trace down a pesky leak that shows up inside the rear cap at about floor level or slightly below on both sides. I have resealed the awning rails, plastic molding below it, front and rear caps, slideout flanges, windows, and everything else I can think of. Haven't found any threads on this yet, so maybe I'm chasing a non problem.
rmcb,

I also installed one set of U bolts up and the other down. Our installations look identical. The cross braces make a huge improvement in steering response and handling on our coach.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote