Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #785

Monaco Owners Club
No problem Van I'm sure everyone on this thread appreciate what you have done for us, and we will enjoy the handling (driving) of our coaches with the GREAT VAN-X-BARS. While you are enjoying your Harley heading out West we will be looking forward to the "VAN-LINK" of the future. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #786

Monaco Owners Club
Pictures please

Happycarz

Harry,

I would like to use your steering box as a starting point for my TRW search. I have yours and Van's part numbers but his output shaft points inboard, they may have an outboard version but could you do me a HUGE favor and take 2 pictures of your coach that look like THIS…please.

Thanks,
Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040566.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	64882   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040568.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	64883  

CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #787

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post
Happycarz

Harry,

I would like to use your steering box as a starting point for my TRW search. I have yours and Van's part numbers but his output shaft points inboard, they may have an outboard version but could you do me a HUGE favor and take 2 pictures of your coach that look like THIS…please.

Thanks,
Craig
Craig,

Is your drag link parallel to the trailing arm? I had not thought of this, but perhaps you have to get a spindle arm, also, or an offset Pittman arm, to get the drag link to end up in the same relative location that you have. My drag link is very close to the trailing arm.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #788

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Craig,

Is your drag link parallel to the trailing arm? I had not thought of this, but perhaps you have to get a spindle arm, also, or an offset Pittman arm, to get the drag link to end up in the same relative location that you have. My drag link is very close to the trailing arm.
Does this help ? Van, it looks like from the pictures you sent me that our boxes are mounted the same but the pitman arm from the box is 180 out from my coach. On the 2002 HR I took pictures of the box mount and the set up look very close to mine.

I am hoping Happycarz's coach looks a little closer to mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040579.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	64933  
Old 06-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #789

Monaco Owners Club
My pitman arm is inside toward the generator, opposite yours. The picture is from behind the steering box, looking toward the front of the coach. The 1/2" steel mounting plate has 3 welded standoffs connecting it to the frame.

I'll see if I can take some pictures from your prospective.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402285140.235019.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	713.9 KB
ID:	64945

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #790

Monaco Owners Club
OK gang….PLEASE

Does anyone have a TRW box coach that looks like the pictures I posted in post #786 ?

PLEASE if you do snap a picture and post your year, make and the steering box information…I need ALL the numbers on the steering box.

I am trying to find the best place to start but I am also building a data base of boxes and pictures for others to use…if this WORKS…LOL

THANKS
Old 06-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #791

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post
OK gang….PLEASE

Does anyone have a TRW box coach that looks like the pictures I posted in post #786 ?

PLEASE if you do snap a picture and post your year, make and the steering box information…I need ALL the numbers on the steering box.

I am trying to find the best place to start but I am also building a data base of boxes and pictures for others to use…if this WORKS…LOL

THANKS
I'm not sure, Craig, but I'd bet all the Sheppard boxes are mounted like yours. Is your Sheppard mounting plate supported by two or more standoffs made from square tubing?

Harry, thanks for helping.

Guys, help Craig all you can. He is probably the most likely person to complete this swap, and it would GREATLY benefit a large number of folks. I will never understand why Monaco used the Sheppard boxes when the problems were apparent very early on. I also have no idea how the Sheppard company has such a presence in the OTR tractor biz.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #792

Craig,

I'm sure you are already doing this, but as you get close to removing your steering gear, be sure you have enough measurements to locate the Pittman arm end of your drag link spatially. The replacement TRW box will be too heavy to hold up in place and juggle around for placement. When you reach that point, I'll make some kind of fixture to fit on a bottle jack and allow you to hold the TRW box rigidly, but change its height and orientation to get the drag link position identical to what you have now.

When you get really close, maybe you'll want to ride to my house for the final installation. I've got all the machine shop and welding equipment we'll need to finish the job.

Lastly, I cannot imagine this to be a problem, but we might want to check that the same hydraulic pump and layout are used for both types of steering gears. I feel certain they are, but it's worth checking. Also, we might have to have new hose ends made if the ports in the TRW and Sheppard are different.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #793

Monaco Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
I'm not sure, Craig, but I'd bet all the Sheppard boxes are mounted like yours. Is your Sheppard mounting plate supported by two or more standoffs made from square tubing?

Harry, thanks for helping.

Guys, help Craig all you can. He is probably the most likely person to complete this swap, and it would GREATLY benefit a large number of folks. I will never understand why Monaco used the Sheppard boxes when the problems were apparent very early on. I also have no idea how the Sheppard company has such a presence in the OTR tractor biz.
Van,

Yes I think almost all Sheppard boxes are mounted the way mine is, I am HOPING to find a TRW box mounted the same way. I should have written down the 2002 HR Ambassador box info, I was in a camp ground and the guy was in a hurry to leave, at least I got pictures so I can research the rest.

You should have my pictures on the thumb drive this week, that should help us think on the same page. I would have to move my mounting plate outboard and drill or plasma cut a hole for the output shaft to go through, to duplicate the TRW boxes I have seen so far. It is not only welded with square tubing standoffs but also a bunch of flat plate in two places for support, they made the mounts very different than older coaches I have crawled under so far.

I have checked the pump requirements on both pumps, they almost match. As for hoses and fittings, when I get a pump in hand I will check, easy and not to $$ to have a hydraulic shop make new ones if needed.

A picture for those of you not privy to Vans thumb drive.

I have my 4G iPad with me all day…so please post info and pictures.

THANKS EVERYONE !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040566.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	64959   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040569.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	64960  

Old 06-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #794

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Craig,

I'm sure you are already doing this, but as you get close to removing your steering gear, be sure you have enough measurements to locate the Pittman arm end of your drag link spatially. The replacement TRW box will be too heavy to hold up in place and juggle around for placement. When you reach that point, I'll make some kind of fixture to fit on a bottle jack and allow you to hold the TRW box rigidly, but change its height and orientation to get the drag link position identical to what you have now.

When you get really close, maybe you'll want to ride to my house for the final installation. I've got all the machine shop and welding equipment we'll need to finish the job.

Lastly, I cannot imagine this to be a problem, but we might want to check that the same hydraulic pump and layout are used for both types of steering gears. I feel certain they are, but it's worth checking. Also, we might have to have new hose ends made if the ports in the TRW and Sheppard are different.
EXACTLY ! Will not be fun…but what the heck !

Thanks !
Old 06-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #795

Another Sheppard box. M100 PPN31
On a 2005 HR Ambassador 36'

View to the front

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402414502.993643.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	731.7 KB
ID:	65056

View to the back

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402414572.644996.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	737.8 KB
ID:	65058

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402414652.044049.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	773.2 KB
ID:	65059

Harry S.

2005 HR 36' ISC 330,
2006 Saturn Vue
Old 06-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #796

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-Bota View Post
Another Sheppard box. M100 PPN31
On a 2005 HR Ambassador 36'

View to the front

Attachment 65056

View to the back

Attachment 65058

Attachment 65059

Harry S.

2005 HR 36' ISC 330,
2006 Saturn Vue
THANK YOU,

I am finding in a two day picture taking and RV dealer tour that HR and Monaco used a BUNCH of Sheppard boxes with as many different mounts as they could make up over the years.

Off to the truck repair center :-(
Old 06-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #797

Craig,

If the TRW boxes come in RH and LH, one would think you could find the opposite hand TRW from what Monaco used and mount it similar to the Sheppard.

Have you searched the TRW site to see what is offered as OE? I can’t look until later tonight.

Another thought--the Sheppard Pittman arm faces outward, and the TRW faces inward. The Sheppard mounting plate appears to be much closer to the center of the coach. Suppose we made an adapter plate with standoffs? It would bolt (or weld) to your existing plate, with the Pittman arm between the two plates. ???

What at first glance might be a problem, could turn out making this simpler…I’m hopin’.

Another thing I notice from your pix--unless it is an optical illusion, your steering shaft extending through the coach floor is a lot straighter (more nearly a straight line) from your steering wheel to the gear box. That does not matter a great deal, but it's just an observation.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #798

Monaco Owners Club
I few more pictures of my TRW box, from the front.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402432492.446716.jpg
Views:	1182
Size:	940.0 KB
ID:	65086

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402432449.727311.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	65085

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote