Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #883

Monaco Owners Club
And, the TRW output shaft turns the same way as the Shepard? The reason I ask, is my output shaft is toward the inside of the coach, opposite you layout. Hmmm, turn right and go left. Now wouldn't that be fun! I take it that TRW make a right and a left box.
I'll check my pitman arm for dimensions and numbers tomorrow and report back.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Hmmm, turn right and go left. Now wouldn't that be fun!
Harry, if we could master that, NO ONE could say we did not know how to drive big rigs, huh? LOL
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:53 AM   #885

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
And, the TRW output shaft turns the same way as the Shepard? The reason I ask, is my output shaft is toward the inside of the coach, opposite you layout. Hmmm, turn right and go left. Now wouldn't that be fun! I take it that TRW make a right and a left box.
Harry,

Yes it does. There are both kinds of TRW boxes a Left output and Right output which can be mounted like yours or mine or for a right hand drive vehicle also. The Master Tech came in handy and made SURE I did not make a big GOOF.

You would be AMAZED at how many TAS65's models there are, like three full catalog pages of them.

Van and I also discussed this possible "mistake"

GOOD CATCH !
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #886

Quote:
Reminds me. Many years ago when I was a teenager in England, a friend was a spare-time auto mechanic.

He had to replace a steering rack on a car. He bought and fitted the steering rack which he said looked identical to the bad one. Turned out it was for left-hand drive rather than right-hand. It did exactly as you describe.

Driving forward with it was one thing... Backing up was a whole lot tougher

He returned it and got a replacement which was exactly the same.

Third attempt worked.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #887

Monaco Owners Club
Posted my pitman arm number in the new thread, Steering Box Play.........

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:14 AM   #888

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Posted my pitman arm number in the new thread, Steering Box Play.........

Thanks Harry
Old 07-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #889

I don't want to take away the focus on the Sheppard box swap but I need some help on my slip joint replacement (intermediate steering shaft) as previously mentioned, my slip joint has some play in it. Doing some research online, looks like there was various recalls on the shaft for a number of different coaches and buses. I didn't find anything for my particular coach. See the pictures of my intermediate steering shaft. It doesn't match what Myron posted on his (his looks like a spicer). I have an email sent to spicer to see if mine is indeed a spicer part. It looks like I have the part number and even the reorder number, but no manufacturer. My hunch so far is that it may be a TRW assembly? I have no basis for the hunch though. Any help would be appreciated. I don't have any pictures with the dust boot off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140705_083237.png
Views:	148
Size:	467.5 KB
ID:	66947

Name:	ForumRunner_20140705_083249.png
Views:	134
Size:	733.0 KB
ID:	66948

Name:	ForumRunner_20140705_083307.png
Views:	140
Size:	560.6 KB
ID:	66949
Old 07-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #890

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crah View Post
I don't want to take away the focus on the Sheppard box swap but I need some help on my slip joint replacement (intermediate steering shaft) as previously mentioned, my slip joint has some play in it. Doing some research online, looks like there was various recalls on the shaft for a number of different coaches and buses. I didn't find anything for my particular coach. See the pictures of my intermediate steering shaft. It doesn't match what Myron posted on his (his looks like a spicer). I have an email sent to spicer to see if mine is indeed a spicer part. It looks like I have the part number and even the reorder number, but no manufacturer. My hunch so far is that it may be a TRW assembly? I have no basis for the hunch though. Any help would be appreciated. I don't have any pictures with the dust boot off.

Attachment 66947

Attachment 66948

Attachment 66949
Sorry I am NO help. Mine looks NOTHING like that. Mine is a more robust looking unit, at least from the underside looking up compared to your picture, and NO boot on the underside of the coach.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #891

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crah View Post
I have an email sent to spicer to see if mine is indeed a spicer part. It looks like I have the part number and even the reorder number, but no manufacturer. My hunch so far is that it may be a TRW assembly?
Craig,

I spent some time today trying to cross reference those numbers without any success. Me thinks the best suggestions I can make are these:

1. If it's not a Spicer (If you get a reply to your email) Then I would suggest to call Roadmaster and/or HR on Monday to see if they can give you any help. With your part numbers they may have one or point you in the right direction.

2. Check with a driveline repair shop in your area. Don't be disappointed though if they are iffy when it comes to steering parts. They always worry about the liability.

JMHO
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:22 AM   #892

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When I was in manufacturing I used a source call The Thomas Registry. You may already know of but it is collection of manufacturers across the US. It might be of some value here.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #893
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
My Steering shaft

I am in the process of repairing/replacing the cracked Windsor dash panel, so I removed the steering wheel. Here is a picture of my steering shaft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Steering shaft.gif
Views:	102
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	67100  
Old 07-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #894

Monaco Owners Club
Pretty turquoise. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #895
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Pretty turquoise. deSanford
That is the grease. There is a zerk on the shaft to grease. I hadn't seen it during my previous chassis lubrication, it is hidden fairly well in the interface boot. It did have some, but it is time to grease.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #896

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did end up calling Monaco, and they said the part is around $800 before shippin and would have to be specially made. The original company was Douglas Auto Tech, and an email to them stated I need to buy it from Monaco. Hard to swallow the price tag on this. I'm wondering if I could swap it out with a Spicer. I see those going for around $200 and looks better made. Not sure what I will do yet.